Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry if discussed already but 89 pages and I don't really want to go back over them all. I tried to get Eir in 2016 when I moved into house. They sold it to me but when the guy from KNnetworks came out he told me I was wasting my time. I think I was too far from the junction box. I can't really remember.

Anytime I checked after that is always said I could get Fibre but I knew it wasn't available.

Anyway I seen posted recently by local councillor that Eir was installing Fibre BB. I live in estate just outside the village. If I ask on Eir website they always say I am covered and try and sell it. I warn them but they never check.

How or can you actually check if it is available? I have Vodafone mobile BB but it is dying a death as everyone in area has started to use and after 6 it is terrible....especially in this weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry if discussed already but 89 pages and I don't really want to go back over them all. I tried to get Eir in 2016 when I moved into house. They sold it to me but when the guy from KNnetworks came out he told me I was wasting my time. I think I was too far from the junction box. I can't really remember.

Anytime I checked after that is always said I could get Fibre but I knew it wasn't available.

Anyway I seen posted recently by local councillor that Eir was installing Fibre BB. I live in estate just outside the village. If I ask on Eir website they always say I am covered and try and sell it. I warn them but they never check.

How or can you actually check if it is available? I have Vodafone mobile BB but it is dying a death as everyone in area has started to use and after 6 it is terrible....especially in this weather

It's somewhat complicated by the fact that "fibre" is referring to two separate products namely:

1) FTTC - A fibre connection is brought from an exchange yo the rectangular green boxes you see in urban areas. The connection to the home is still over copper though. This has implications for speed reduction as the length of copper increases.

2) FTTH - Fibre cable is brought from the exchange directly into your home. The benefit of this is it does not have the distance limitations of FTTC as well as improved bandwidth.

Openeir are currently rolling out FTTH to 300000 premises as part of an agreement with the Government. To see if you will be covered check your Eircode on:

https://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300K)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's somewhat complicated by the fact that "fibre" is referring to two separate products namely:

1) FTTC - A fibre connection is brought from an exchange yo the rectangular green boxes you see in urban areas. The connection to the home is still over copper though. This has implications for speed reduction as the length of copper increases.

2) FTTH - Fibre cable is brought from the exchange directly into your home. The benefit of this is it does not have the distance limitations of FTTC as well as improved bandwidth.

Openeir are currently rolling out FTTH to 300000 premises as part of an agreement with the Government. To see if you will be covered check your Eircode on:

https://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300K)

FTTH is out anyway. I was thinking so. I am part of the National Broadband Plan.

When I checked on rollout I got the following:
    Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. :eek::eek:

Bit of a joke when I live on the border with Dublin and if I wanted I could walk to a couple of massive DC's

SO I guess I am back to the Eir "Fibre". I think the issue the last time was the house is too far from the exchange and that is why the installation guy said I was wasting my time. Anyway to check the FTTC?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    FTTH is out anyway. I was thinking so. I am part of the National Broadband Plan.

When I checked on rollout I got the following:
    Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. :eek::eek:

Bit of a joke when I live on the border with Dublin and if I wanted I could walk to a couple of massive DC's

SO I guess I am back to the Eir "Fibre". I think the issue the last time was the house is too far from the exchange and that is why the installation guy said I was wasting my time. Anyway to check the FTTC?

I'm assuming you don't have a phone line. If you do you can check it here:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

If you don't have a landline perhaps you could check one of your close neighbours if you know their number. There is also the option to check by address on that page but I'm unsure how accurate that is.

I assume from the refusal message you gave in your previous post that you used the DCCCAE NBP map to check your Eircode. Just be aware that that simply checks against a list of Eircodes that were submitted by eir that they said would be passed. Anecdotally they have extended their builds in certain areas passing houses that were not due to be covered. I'm not saying that will happen in your case but it is something to be aware of. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing you will be covered until the service is actually live. You may see KN or other contractors working in your estate and that would be a good sign but they are easily missed. Keep periodically checking your Eircode on:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Folks, would anyone know why I cant get Fibre broadband. I am living in an apartment block in Kilmainham and ALL local cabinets are fibre enabled. The closed cabinet to me is 400m down the road. Yet when I call all the various Telcos they tell me Fibre isnt available in my apartment. I have an Eircom line in the apartment and standard DSL is available to me. Im stumped as to why I cannot get fibre.

Any particular reasons?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hogzy wrote: »
    Folks, would anyone know why I cant get Fibre broadband. I am living in an apartment block in Kilmainham and ALL local cabinets are fibre enabled. The closed cabinet to me is 400m down the road. Yet when I call all the various Telcos they tell me Fibre isnt available in my apartment. I have an Eircom line in the apartment and standard DSL is available to me. Im stumped as to why I cannot get fibre.

Any particular reasons?

If you send me your eircode and your phone number, I can have a look into that.

If you send me your eircode and your phone number, I can have a look into that.

Thanks thats sent now

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

I live in rural Wexford, according to the rollout map the road I'm on is yellow all my neighbours houses are marked as live but my house isn't marked at all. I do live on a farm but other neighbouring farms are marked as live. I'm assuming that I was skipped on the map simply because the house isn't visible from the road. I'm a current (unhapy) Eir customer but when I ring Eir I get someone who can't answer any questions and just says that my house isn't on their network map. I'm very keen to get some sort of solution as I'm stuck with 800kb download and 128 upload and I have no other viable options except satellite which is expensive with daft download limits. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Fluppen wrote: »
    I live in rural Wexford

Over 1500 FTTH enabled premises in Wexford don't have their eircodes assigned in OpenEIRs database. You need to check by phone-number to see, if you're live.

Or ring a provider and see, if they can manually process you.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Over 1500 FTTH enabled premises in Wexford don't have their eircodes assigned in OpenEIRs database. You need to check by phone-number to see, if you're live.

Or ring a provider and see, if they can manually process you.

/M

Thanks for that, I have checked by phone number and I get the availability of my current speed and a message to check the map which then leads to the situation in my initial post. Could this simply be because the actual copper line crossing my own land is too long (roughly 600m) and the house too far away from the road and new fibre cable?

When I spoke to Eir I asked if I could upgrade my current broadband and they tested the line so I assume they did try to manually process but the person I spoke to just said I couldn't get fibre and couldn't explain why when the rest of the road can. I'll try a different provider to see if it makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats a long run, they like you to be much closer to the ODP. Very likely you're excluded but others will confirm.

If you're over 150m from the road, you can forget it. And that would be the reason, that you've been left out.

You would need to bring a structure nearer to the road, with power, where the FTTH connection can be installed. Then build your own infrastructure all the way up to the house, where you want it.

/M

Thanks,

I wish I could have a useful conversation like this with someone from Eir. I have a separate unmetered power supply closer to the road and that is within a few metres of the first of a series of new poles leading to the house which Eir installed about 10ish years ago. Do you think they would be willing and able to work with that if I offered to pay for the installation from that point? If so I'll try just sending an email with that as a suggestion to see if I get anywhere.
    Or do you mean that I would literally have to have a house of some sort near the road and then just run my own domestic connection the rest of the way? If that's the case it looks like rural broadband will remain an illusion for anyone with a farm set back from the road. :(

In terms of other providers, an afternoon on the phone has yielded some promises of a faster speed (up to 24meg until I ask them to confirm actual speed at which point they sheepishly admit it would be closer to 1) but none of the others see me as eligible for the fibre either =(.

I want to explore more options but then I feel like I'm going too far off topic for this fibre rollout thread so I'll explore those somewhere else :)

You have a choice of 8 providers, who provide FTTH using OpenEIRs FTTH infrastructure:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (all the ones with a house logo).

Actually a few more, that aren't listed. But that's neither here nor there.

Not all of these will service you, depending on where you are. If you can't convince Eir to service you, vote with your feet and put your business somewhere, that wants your business.

A lot of Demesne properties have typically a gate house. That would have been the place to install this in such a situtation.

Failing to have such a structure near the road, you could in theory install an enforced road-side cabinet at the entrance to your property with power and then try to find a provider, that is flexible enough to work with you to get you hooked up. It will take patience, some arguing and somebody who has enough influence to get OpenEIR to add you back into the rollout.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fluppen wrote: »
    Thanks,

I wish I could have a useful conversation like this with someone from Eir. I have a separate unmetered power supply closer to the road and that is within a few metres of the first of a series of new poles leading to the house which Eir installed about 10ish years ago. Do you think they would be willing and able to work with that if I offered to pay for the installation from that point? If so I'll try just sending an email with that as a suggestion to see if I get anywhere.

What distance would it be from the eir DP to the point of your connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see they've now removed the date of the last update from the website, and it no longer mentions 21st? May or anything else.

What distance would it be from the eir DP to the point of your connection?

From the new wires on the road to the house 750metres, if they brought it to the power supply near the road then it's around 600m to the house.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see they've now removed the date of the last update from the website, and it no longer mentions 21st? May or anything else.

The date would have been 3 months out of date tomorrow. I guess it was getting embarrassing.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Eir has gone so quiet it's beginning to spook me. Activity in my neck of the woods in Kerry is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Yeah I was hoping the map would update any day now and I'd be on it .However lookie here. see the date of last update.
    This is telling me I can .I'm still not showing up on eir site.:confused:
    Not sure if you can make out the last update date. it's 21/08/2018

qp2xs5.jpg

• Advertisement

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Yeah I was hoping the map would update any day now and I'd be on it .However lookie here. see the date of last update.

24o55cm.jpg

The Airwire checker is updated more regularly than eir's. If you're on it that is good news as you have been added to the APQ file and you should be able to order when eir update their checker. It hopefully will not be too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The Airwire checker is updated more regularly than eir's. If you're on it that is good news as you have been added to the APQ file and you should be able to order when eir update their checker. It hopefully will not be too far behind.

Jeez I hope you're right.
    Sounds promising. wink.png

qp2xs5.jpg

Also don't confuse the map updates with the APQ file updates. The APQ is updated weekly and it's up to the individual ISPs to update their checkers to reflect these changes.

The map is now a joke and should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

qp2xs5.jpg

There was never a 21st August update, it was definitely stuck on 21st May. It was probably 21st August when removed all reference to an update. According to the site FAQs, there was supposed to be an update once a month.

I actually emailed them a couple of weeks ago, asking when there was going to be an update, and they told me that as I wasn't a provider, they couldn't handle my query. They suggested that I contact my provider and get them to ask the question.
    I couldn't be bothered with that suggestion, and replied as follows:

"Why don't you just update the page like you're supposed to? The providers obviously couldn't care less because you give them the information anyway.

If your website is only for the use of the providers, why do you make information available to the public?"

They must have been inundated by emails like mine, and then decided to give up. When I enter my Eircode I get the same result that I got in May i.e. an estimate that I would get fast broadband in the second half of 2018. Before the 21st May update it used to say "1st half of 2018".

I only use Airwire's availability Eircode checker now, which tells me that there are "Currently no ports available". It used to say "8th August". It's a joke that a provider that doesn't operate in North Kerry is my source of broadband information on what's supposed to be happening here.

There was never a 21st August update, it was definitely stuck on 21st May.

OpenEIR updates the list for the providers every week. Before they left the NBP, they updated the fibrerollout map every 2 weeks or so. But it has gotten less and less. The map is now 3 months old. It stlll works as a reference, but not to see a status on their build out.
    I only use Airwire's availability Eircode checker now, which tells me that there are "Currently no ports available". It used to say "8th August".

"Currently no ports available" is probably not the best response on the checker. The problem is, that the data we are provided with can't differentiate between a cluster being full or an exchange having an issue.
    It's a joke that a provider that doesn't operate in North Kerry is my source of broadband information on what's supposed to be happening here.

Well, we do operate in Kerry, when it comes to FTTH and VDSL. Just not with fixed wireless. The OpenEIR portion checker came about, because OpenEIRs map broke a few times and generally is quite slow to load the premises. If you're on a slow connection (because you're waiting for FTTH, right ?), then loading a heavy map, like the fibrerollout map is not precisely going to help.

We are working on better ways of showing VDSL coverage at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 minlan

...(finally) but everyone else (eir, vodafone, sky) all say no. Are airwire just quicker off the mark?

minlan wrote: »
    ...(finally) but everyone else (eir, vodafone, sky) all say no. Are airwire just quicker off the mark?

No,

we have made massive improvements in our VDSL checker this weekend.

If you're coming up available without speeds, then that means, that you're within 500m of an active eVDSL or NGA cabinet, but that there are no test data available.

That means, that your line probably would have to be migrated. This is a manual process, that can take 1-2 weeks.

But it should certainly be possible to get you VDSL. The only unknown is, how far you actually are from the nearest cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 minlan

Yep, no speed listed. there are 2 cabinets in my exchange boundary that have been listed on the infamous eir map as 'build commenced' for nearly a year now. One of these cabs is next to a live vdsl cab for a neighbouring exchange area. Depending on the route the cables actually take I reckon I'm somewhere between 300-600m from either of them.

I was getting sales calls from vodafone last week which I ignored: I wonder if they were on to this as well?

thanks for the info Martin.

minlan wrote: »
    I was getting sales calls from vodafone last week which I ignored: I wonder if they were on to this as well?.

Most sales people will sell you their granny, no matter what infrastructure is in place ... If they can get away with it.

/M

• Advertisement

No,

we have made massive improvements in our VDSL checker this weekend.

If you're coming up available without speeds, then that means, that you're within 500m of an active eVDSL or NGA cabinet, but that there are no test data available.

That means, that your line probably would have to be migrated. This is a manual process, that can take 1-2 weeks.

But it should certainly be possible to get you VDSL. The only unknown is, how far you actually are from the nearest cabinet.

When you say manual process does it involve any sort of construction work or is it purely a systems thing?

Advertisement