Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'm a little confused by some of this. I live within about 120m of a cabinet that has gone live in Dublin 5, yet all of the testing sites I visit say that the only speeds available to me are up to 100Mbps. By my understanding, this is FTTC, yes?

If so, what do I need to do to get the 1000Mbps FTTH service, or is there anything I can do?

Yes it is FTTC.

There is very little FTTH availability in Dublin and indeed in urban areas in general. You'll have to wait until open eir launch their urban project in mid 2019 and hope you are in one of the first areas to be covered. There's nothing else you can do I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm a little confused by some of this. I live within about 120m of a cabinet that has gone live in Dublin 5, yet all of the testing sites I visit say that the only speeds available to me are up to 100Mbps.

Cabinets have nothing to do with FTTH. FTTH is fed from the exchange. So to avail of FTTH, the exchange (not the cabinet) needs to be FTTH enabled.

Cabinets will only relate to FTTC, which is VDSL and max 100 Mbit/s

/M

Thanks a million lads / ladettes

Thanks a million lads / ladettes

No problem. I meant to say to you that you can check availability with your Eircode here

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

just in case you are in one of the few urban areas that have FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

No problem. I meant to say to you that you can check availability with your Eircode here

just in case you are in one of the few urban areas that have FTTH.

'Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available at..' Woohoo, finally! I didn't notice them doing any work recently but I'm guessing I wouldn't get a false positive?

• Advertisement

'Great News!
    Fibre to the Home is available at..' Woohoo, finally! I didn't notice them doing any work recently but I'm guessing I wouldn't get a false positive?

I have no reason to believe it would be a false positive.

You should be able to order services from any of the ISPs listed here with a green home icon:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

'Great News!

I get that too, but when I put in my phone number it is not available. Not available on airwire site either, so good be a false positive

I get that too, but when I put in my phone number it is not available. Not available on airwire site either, so good be a false positive

All FTTH is ordered through Eircode. It not being available for your phone number is not an indication that you can't order. Often there is an issue with matching phone numbers to Eircodes.

However the Airwire checker tends to be updated more often so if your Eircode is failing on that it would be more indicative of an issue.

If it's failing on the Airwire checker, then the Eircode might have been matched to the wrong subscriber line on the Eir checker.

Fibre-lines and Eircodes are 2 different databases. If they've updated with files from different dates, they've made a mess.

Failing on the phone number is less indicative. They've not always joined that data properly up. Probably one of the reasons, why you can't check on phone number on the Airwire checker.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Marlow wrote: »
    If it's failing on the Airwire checker, then the Eircode might have been matched to the wrong subscriber line on the Eir checker.

Fibre-lines and Eircodes are 2 different databases. If they've updated with files from different dates, they've made a mess.

Failing on the phone number is less indicative. They've not always joined that data properly up. Probably one of the reasons, why you can't check on phone number on the Airwire checker.

/M

I am getting ports not available.
    Have already ordered through Airwire, they say it will be available early December. First got notification that it was due to go live early August after Eir initially saying early 2018, so all very frustrating. ( And obviously not Airwires fault, their communication on the situation has been excellent)

• Advertisement

I am getting ports not available.
    Have already ordered through Airwire, they say it will be available early December. First got notification that it was due to go live early August after Eir initially saying early 2018, so all very frustrating. ( And obviously not Airwires fault, their communication on the situation has been excellent)

One of those exchanges, where OpenEIR got in trouble with the build so. Unfortunate, but at least there is a timeline.

The reason it's available on Eirs checker then is because they ignore the flag, that the port is unavailable. Not helping the situation.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I got FTTH 3 weeks back. I am still not on the map and when I put in my phone number it is not available.
    Make of that what you will?

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I got FTTH 3 weeks back. I am still not on the map and when I put in my phone number it is not available.

The map has not been updated since May and looks unlikely to be in the future. The phone number and Eircode databases eir use are separate and in a lot of cases the Eircode is not matched to the number which is why it is failing. Enjoy the new connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The map has not been updated since May and looks unlikely to be in the future. The phone number and Eircode databases eir use are separate and in a lot of cases the Eircode is not matched to the number which is why it is failing. Enjoy the new connection!

Thanks. Its been a great change from 5mb to 50mb. 140 if you are close to the router and have a 5G device.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

They're fairly far behind in West Mayo if cabinets need the fibre which is being strung on the poles in order to function, the road between Newport and Mulranny is one done as far as 53°54'24.5"N 9°39'49.7"W
    https://goo.gl/maps/tbhRXn4B1aq with Mulranny already due to be live since the summer

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    They're fairly far behind in West Mayo if cabinets need the fibre which is being strung on the poles in order to function, the road between Newport and Mulranny is one done as far as 53°54'24.5"N 9°39'49.7"W
    https://goo.gl/maps/tbhRXn4B1aq with Mulranny already due to be live since the summer

Cabinets only refers to VDSL as in FTTC. There is no real estimation, whey or if they will complete those, as they're going to roll out FTTH to urban areas from next summer.

All that's being focused on right now is FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Cabinets only refers to VDSL as in FTTC. There is no real estimation, whey or if they will complete those, as they're going to roll out FTTH to urban areas from next summer.

All that's being focused on right now is FTTH.

/M

I had it wrong so. I thought they were doing FTTC in an area first then FTTH once the cabinet was live.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I had it wrong so. I thought they were doing FTTC in an area first then FTTH once the cabinet was live.

No. The rollout of FTTC and FTTH is completely independant. In most cases it's actually the other way around.

The cab may have been dropped, but they only fibre connect it once the FTTH deployment is done in the area and while they have the crew around.

Seen that happening in a few places. Cabinet typically going live a month after FTTH is done and dusted.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 16 k3v1n

Ditto for me .... sort of. I saw the telegraph poles outside the house and it looked like FTTH was imminent. I called Eir sales and they took my number, ran a 'test' and told me it wasn't available at my address. After seeing a note here somewhere (thanks whoever that was) that a lookup by eircode was more accurate, I tried again the following day - this time via online chat and quoted my eircode instead. Lo and behold.... we **can** get FTTH and it's ordered and due to be installed next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Western Seagull

CONGRATULATIONS, THIS IS FANTASTIC INFORMATION

I have failed to add an exchange location at the following location:

Clerihan
    Ballycornane
    Co. Tipperary
    52.413170, -7.756581

It is a Fibre Active Small Exchange exactly at the coordinates provided.

I am a new user so maybe do not have access yet.
    I am logged in to my gMail Account so that is not the issue anyway.
    Maybe someone can add this for me.
    Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

I live off the Navan Road in Dublin 7 (Blackhorse Ave side rather than Cabra side) and don't have fibre in the area - there were 3 or 4 KN vans around yesterday morning and then a KN engineer with an ipad going to all the poles in the area for about 2 hours. I'm guessing that's related to eir fibre rollout meaning maybe it will be available in my area soon?

GSRNBP wrote: »
    I live off the Navan Road in Dublin 7 (Blackhorse Ave side rather than Cabra side) and don't have fibre in the area - there were 3 or 4 KN vans around yesterday morning and then a KN engineer with an ipad going to all the poles in the area for about 2 hours. I'm guessing that's related to eir fibre rollout meaning maybe it will be available in my area soon?

I would imagine it is related to fibre. Were they telephone poles or electricity poles they were surveying? I'm not sure if KN do surveying for SIRO. Soon might be being over optimistic though. Probably six months at least if they are only starting now.

I would imagine it is related to fibre. Were they telephone poles or electricity poles they were surveying? I'm not sure if KN do surveying for SIRO. Soon might be being over optimistic though. Probably six months at least if they are only starting now.

SIRO uses various companies (Celtic Fibre, KN, TLI, Obelink, Actavo, Huawei, etc.) across the board .. so it's not impossible.

But KN also does work for ESB.

Until the DPs go up, it's not going to be sure.

/M

This might be a really stupid question and there are are way too many posts here to go back to see if it's already been answered....but do you have to have an eircom landline to avail of their fibre broadband service??
    We had our landline disconnected recently, although the cables etc are still coming to the house.

Now I've heard that they are starting to bring fibre to our area and naturally I'd be interested.

inthehat wrote: »
    This might be a really stupid question and there are are way too many posts here to go back to see if it's already been answered....but do you have to have an eircom landline to avail of their fibre broadband service??
    We had our landline disconnected recently, although the cables etc are still coming to the house.

Now I've heard that they are starting to bring fibre to our area and naturally I'd be interested.

For VDSL (FTTC) .. yes. But most providers will reconnect that for you.

For FTTH (fibre all the way into your home) ... NO !!

So when you say fibre broadband service, you need to specify, what you're talking about. What Eir calls "eFibre" is not really fibre. It's copper to a cabinet.

/M

you need to specify, what you're talking about.

/M

Thanks Marlow.
    I realise now I haven't the faintest idea what i'm talking about :D
    However after some frantic googling I think it's the one where they'll be using the existing cable ( we're really out in the sticks here) so I guess it's VDSL, and hopefully as you say they will reconnect us.

inthehat wrote: »
    ( we're really out in the sticks here)

Other way around.

If you're really out in the sticks, it's going to be a new shiney fibre all the way into the house.

Check https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ .. find your premise on the map and if it has a house logo, then it's fibre.

If it's in a green shaded area, then it's copper ... what Eir call "eFibre".

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

I think it was phone (I think power might be underground on my street) but not positive. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoin.h

UrbanFeet, I'm curious as to how you went about ordering FTTH without being on the map?

• Advertisement

eoin.h wrote: »
    UrbanFeet, I'm curious as to how you went about ordering FTTH without being on the map?

The map on fibrerollout is not accurate and cannot be relied upon. As open eir have progressed they have added premises to their build that were never marked on the map and are still not as the map has not been updated for months.

The only way to know if you are covered is to enter your Eircode on one of the retail ISP checkers:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

If your premises passes on one or both of these you should be able to order.

Advertisement