Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Marlow wrote: »
    No. The rollout of FTTC and FTTH is completely independant. In most cases it's actually the other way around.

The cab may have been dropped, but they only fibre connect it once the FTTH deployment is done in the area and while they have the crew around.

Seen that happening in a few places. Cabinet typically going live a month after FTTH is done and dusted.

/M

Trying to get my head around FTTC vs FTTH.

There's a "fibre" enabled exchange about 1km (by road - it's 500m as the crow flies) from my house. There's another one about 2km away. Both of these are showing in the https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ as being live for fibre, but also say "xxx premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband" (which sounds like FTTC, not FTTH). There's a 3rd exchange, about 2.5km away saying "xx can now access up to 100Mb/s fibrebroadband with yyy premises able to access 1000Mb/s fibre"

So I'm guessing Exchange 3 is properly fibre enabled, and the first two aren't?

There are two FTTC enabled cabinets between my house and Exchange 1. Someone in Eir told me that for proper FTTH, cabinets have nothing to do with it. I had kind of assumed once an exchange was enabled, then they'd use the existing fibre to the cabinet, and then just introduce new fibre the last bit from the cabinet to the house. But he made it sound like you'd bypass the cabinet and your fibre cable would run directly from your house all the way to the exchange. That doesn't sound right - you'd end up with 13k+ individual cables all arriving in to a single exchange. Is that really how it's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yes .. exchange 3 would be FTTH enabled and you would only be able to avail of it if:

1) you're hanging of that exchange

2) the fibre is physically passing your house.

And no .. there are 24 fibres in the cable from the exchange. And each of those fibres can carry 32 premises who are connected sequentially to the same fibre. It's not a dedicated fibre per premise to the exchange.

As for FTTC, it could be literally 100s of copper lines from the cabinet to the premises, but they're all connected back using one fibre only to the exchange. Again. Nothing to do with FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

And no .. there are 24 fibres in the cable from the exchange. And each of those fibres can carry 32 premises who are connected sequentially to the same fibre. It's not a dedicated fibre per premise to the exchange.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than what the eir guy was saying.

So each cable can serve 768 premises. My nearest exchange currently caters for about 10,000 premises (which would need about 13 cables for them all to get FTTH). Is there an upper limit on the number of cables an exchange can take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thoie wrote: »
    Thanks, that makes a lot more sense than what the eir guy was saying.

So each cable can serve 768 premises. My nearest exchange currently caters for about 10,000 premises (which would need about 13 cables for them all to get FTTH). Is there an upper limit on the number of cables an exchange can take?

There is no point trying to count cables in order to estimate the number of premises served. Each fibre is split multiple times over an exchange area. Look up GPON splitting to get an idea of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Yes .. exchange 3 would be FTTH enabled and you would only be able to avail of it if:

1) you're hanging of that exchange

2) the fibre is physically passing your house.

As for FTTC, it could be literally 100s of copper lines from the cabinet to the premises, but they're all connected back using one fibre only to the exchange. Again. Nothing to do with FTTH.

/M

If there is that many customer using up to 1Gbps, what would the trunk fiber be capable of bandwidth-wise, I'm guessing it's only 10Gbps, but maybe its more. Single mode?

• Advertisement

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    If there is that many customer using up to 1Gbps, what would the trunk fiber be capable of bandwidth-wise, I'm guessing it's only 10Gbps, but maybe its more. Single mode?

The GPon stretch, that up to 32 customer share is 2.5 Gbit/s down, 1.25 Gbit/s up.

The exchange probably has 10 Gbit/s full duplex or multiples thereof. Could also be 40 or 100 Gig interfaces.

The average FTTH user uses less than 3 Mbit/s on average ..

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Currently, have FTTC, recently FTTH was upgraded from the same exchange but it misses everyone in the village and only serves those living on the outskirts of the village in all directions.

I just happen to live on the edge of the village, but literally on the edge of FTTC but not on the start of FTTH. All the checkers say I can only get FTTC.

The main FTTH cable goes past my house and serves people across the road from me, and further up the main road. but will not serve those of us on the other side of the road.

I can even see the pole across the road that has the FTTH box on it. (Damn thing is teasing me!)

Is it worth calling Eir and begging them to connect me to the pole, or FTTH cable that is literally meters from my front door, ir is it just a waste of time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

I put my eircode into the airwire website and it says the only thing available is VDSL...I’m struggling to believe I can get this where I live, I saw TLI engineers putting up fibre boxes on telephone poles a couple of weeks ago in my area but the last one was put up about a quarter of a mile away from my house and according to the fibre rollout map they won’t be rolling it out on my road. Can I really get better broadband than what I have now (2.5mb)???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The correct thread for these questions is.....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057871133&page=530

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trekkypj02

Okay, so I've been away in the US for a few years, and I lost access to my old boards.ie account.
    But I wanted to share my news.

My parents are finally going to get FTTH in Coan, Co. Kilkenny. The Airwire eircode checker estimates availability from May 8, 2019. And my parents confirmed that they are hanging fibre on the poles. So it might FINALLY happen.

I spent literally years pestering Eircom and then Eir about getting them DSL, without success. The local phone exchange was originally on the infamous 2007 list for DSL upgrades but it never happened. Probably because the exchange in the village seems to have been using a microwave radio link for phone service.

My folks have been suffering with patchy 4G internet since the NBS scheme using a Three modem (and dial-up before that) and there's a hill partially blocking the signal so it was poor at best.

I'm holding my breath...

• Advertisement

trekkypj02 wrote: »
    So it might FINALLY happen.

Good news for your parents Trekkie:) And (no offence) Coan is pretty much off the beaten track so it's good to see a REAL rural area being serviced.

Unfortunately my area is still not included in any scheme, so I'm doomed to the 3 modem for the foreseeable future, even though I'm a lot nearer to Kilkenny city. But at least the signal with it is reasonable most of the time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

inthehat wrote: »
    ...Coan is pretty much off the beaten track so it's good to see a REAL rural area being serviced.

Pfft. Blacksod has FTTH now - Coan is a sprawling metropolis by contrast.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

trekkypj02 wrote: »
    Okay, so I've been away in the US for a few years, and I lost access to my old boards.ie account.
    But I wanted to share my news.

My parents are finally going to get FTTH in Coan, Co. Kilkenny. The Airwire eircode checker estimates availability from May 8, 2019. And my parents confirmed that they are hanging fibre on the poles. So it might FINALLY happen.

I'm holding my breath...
    Johnswell down the road has FTTH now.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

We finally got our fibre in last week (Donegal), it was only delayed by about two years :D. It turns out we could have had it installed weeks ago, but we had to contact Eir to give them yet another kick up the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

Is there a way to know how long it will be from fibre running to the pole outside my house (left in links at the bottom of the pole), and when it will be available? Should i expect it soon (weeks/months/years)?

Weeks to months. Not years. If you are listed as planned with a blue house on the fibrerollout map that is.

If you're in a green shaded VDSL area, then not this or next year.

This is assuming, that you are talking OpenEIR poles. Not SIRO/ESB ones.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I'm on the blue-route, so yea, weeks to months - sweet. I'll be working from home more!

Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

How long after the poles being put up should it take for you to be able to connect to it?

I thought once the poles were up that was that. But it's been a while now and it still says it's unavailable at my address?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

How long after the poles being put up should it take for you to be able to connect to it?

I thought once the poles were up that was that. But it's been a while now and it still says it's unavailable at my address?

In our case it was about 2 months between when the black boxes appeared on the poles and when the lines were actually active and available to install to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crocked77

I checked on the fibre rollout map and although my parents live in an area that is enabled for fibre it is not available on the eir website. Is my best bet contacting eir although that hasn't helped historically.

It's available about 5 houses down the road but I guess this will be slower the further it is from the exchange. They show planned blue houses further up the road but I assume that does not mean FTTH rather they plan to extend the line in the future. Would that simply be a new cabinet that they need to install then?

• Advertisement

crocked77 wrote: »
    I checked on the fibre rollout map and although my parents live in an area that is enabled for fibre it is not available on the eir website. Is my best bet contacting eir although that hasn't helped historically.

It's available about 5 houses down the road but I guess this will be slower the further it is from the exchange. They show planned blue houses further up the road but I assume that does not mean FTTH rather they plan to extend the line in the future. Would that simply be a new cabinet that they need to install then?

First of all, what are you talking about ?

With VDSL (aka Fibre to the Cabinet or what Eir calls eFibre) the speed depends on the distance from the cabinet alright. And a cabinet is needed. That's the green shaded areas.

With FTTH (fibre all the way into your home), that's the green and blue houses. And distance means nothing for speed there. The full speed is available to all houses connected ... doesn't matter how far .. no cabinets needed . it all comes from the exchange and stretches up to 20km out.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

It's available about 5 houses down the road but I guess this will be slower the further it is from the exchange.

Fibre doesn't suffer from distance from exchange slowing.
    It's the same speed everywhere - that's why we're upgrading to fibre ;)

There maybe some limit on how far it can reach from an exchange but that would mean you would be too far away to get it at all.

The reason you're not getting it is more than likely just a planning decision by Eir - you fall outside the 300k households and you will have to wait for the NBP.

First of all, what are you talking about ?

With VDSL (aka Fibre to the Cabinet or what Eir calls eFibre) the speed depends on the distance from the cabinet alright. And a cabinet is needed. That's the green shaded areas.

With FTTH (fibre all the way into your home), that's the green and blue houses. And distance means nothing for speed there. The full speed is available to all houses connected ... doesn't matter how far .. no cabinets needed . it all comes from the exchange and stretches up to 20km out.

/M

Ok makes sense. It's VDSL as far as I can tell as from checking the eircodes of other properties the speed reduces the further away from the exchange it is.
    That's why I guess no vdsl is actually provided as it probably wouldn't be any better than what they currently have.

What confused me is that I read somewhere that a house on the map means FTTH but that means there is an estate up the road planned for this but it has a yellow line going up through it so my guess is that will also just be VDSL. The test says 95% of houses will get gigabit but my assumption is that it won't be the case here.

Ok makes sense. It's VDSL as far as I can tell as from checking the eircodes of other properties the speed reduces the further away from the exchange it is.
    That's why I guess no vdsl is actually provided as it probably wouldn't be any better than what they currently have.

What confused me is that I read somewhere that a house on the map means FTTH but that means there is an estate up the road planned for this but it has a yellow line going up through it so my guess is that will also just be VDSL. The test says 95% of houses will get gigabit but my assumption is that it won't be the case here.

It's bloody annoying the way they were allowed to sell VDSL as "fibre". It's a plain lie. Comreg are a joke that didn't stop it. Also do we not have any advertising authority that should stop nonsense like that? BT were stopped in the UK from advertising VDSL as fibre afaik.

turbbo wrote: »
    Fibre doesn't suffer from distance from exchange slowing.
    The reason you're not getting it is more than likely just a planning decision by Eir - you fall outside the 300k households and you will have to wait for the NBP.

I won't be holding my breath for NBP. I've been waiting for faster internet here since I was at college and still living at home and that's a long time ago now.

I haven't followed NBP so closely but it doesn't seem to be anywhere yet other than being a political football.

I haven't followed NBP so closely but it doesn't seem to be anywhere yet other than being a political football.

yeah it will happen but not anytime soon. the eir ftth rollout is taking + 3.5 years and they actually started when they said they would. technology is racing ahead in the meantime - we are in danger of being left behind if the NBP doesn't happen - we are already well behind compared to most other european countries.

It's bloody annoying the way they were allowed to sell VDSL as "fibre". It's a plain lie. Comreg are a joke that didn't stop it. Also do we not have any advertising authority that should stop nonsense like that? BT were stopped in the UK from advertising VDSL as fibre afaik.

I didn't know that about BT but it makes sense. I agree that it's very unclear here at the moment.

I didn't know that about BT but it makes sense. I agree that it's very unclear here at the moment.

Yeah back in 2017...
    https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/fibre-broadband-advertising-uk/

Get away with whatever they want here in the wild west.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Also do we not have any advertising authority that should stop nonsense like that?

It has been brought to ASAI's attention. Their response can be paraphrased as "we don't care".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Hi lads anyone here able to tell me what might be happening in my situation, basically the area surrounding the village i live in is getting ftth. Theres a cabinet in the village NSM1_001 thats in process of upgrading to fibre for at least 3 years. We have three mobile broadband and its all we can get here. speeds have worsened of late. Sorry if i keep asking im just really in need of decent internet.

Advertisement