Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi lads anyone here able to tell me what might be happening in my situation, basically the area surrounding the village i live in is getting ftth. Theres a cabinet in the village NSM1_001 thats in process of upgrading to fibre for at least 3 years. We have three mobile broadband and its all we can get here. speeds have worsened of late. Sorry if i keep asking im just really in need of decent internet.

I've seen a deployment plan from open eir dated May 2018 where it was given a 6 - 12 month completion date. That would take you until May 2019 but it may have even slipped from that. I had a look on Streetview (July 2018) and the cabinet seems to be in place (opposite the pub behind the wall). I'm afraid it is extremely difficult to get information from open eir so you'll just have to be even more patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi lads anyone here able to tell me what might be happening in my situation, basically the area surrounding the village i live in is getting ftth. Theres a cabinet in the village NSM1_001 thats in process of upgrading to fibre for at least 3 years. We have three mobile broadband and its all we can get here. speeds have worsened of late. Sorry if i keep asking im just really in need of decent internet.

Dromina is currently a non DSL area as you say. The cab is installed since July 2018 or before (behind a wall opposite the cottage bar). Its naming gives us a hint, you don't have an exchange instead are serviced by Newtownshandrum where the exchange actually is. This provides phone services up to 8KM or so.

As a remote cab (001 not E01) yours needs to be linked to the primary one in NMS and energized in order to start servicing your area.
    NSM1_001 is down for 6-12 months for planned deployment.
    NSM1_E01 is done and live.

First one is a NGA cabinet, but it will be VDSL enabled. Second is an eVDSL cabinet.

This is basically all you'll get.

On the road between Dromina and NMS have new poles gone up with a small black cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

No new poles as far as i know. Not seen any work being done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

is there anyway at all to find out details for planned upgrade to a cabinet ADW1_E01 has had upgrade planned for the last 3+ years while other cabinets around have already been upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

shanec1928 wrote: »
    is there anyway at all to find out details for planned upgrade to a cabinet ADW1_E01 has had upgrade planned for the last 3+ years while other cabinets around have already been upgraded?

No. OpenEIR does not like to share that sort of information. Not even with the providers.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Further to my post back in December, more KN activity on my street last week (D7) doing some work on the wires connecting the houses to the poles, then Open Eir vans have been around a lot this week - still no big black boxes on the poles, but I'd imagine this means they're getting ready to start something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

turbbo wrote: »
    Yeah back in 2017...
    https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/fibre-broadband-advertising-uk/

Get away with whatever they want here in the wild west.

Doesn't look like they did anything to regulate it in the UK

https://www.bt.com/broadband/fibre/
    Our superfast fibre broadband
    BT Superfast Fibre uses fibre optic technology to give you superfast speeds. Average speeds of 67Mb will allow you to do more online, with everyone online together. That means no more battling for bandwidth, even in busy homes.

Seems Sky, Virgin and others in the UK also refer to copper delivered services as 'fibre'

I agree though it shouldn't be allowed.

Technically peaking dial-up 56k is 'fibre to the exchange' so maybe they should have called that 'fibre' too?
    I mean, your data goes over fibre at some stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

Hi can anyone on here tell me what this is its at top of my road thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Fibre optic cable splitter/distribution point for fibre to the home (FTTH) broadband

FTTH distribution point.

Enter the Eircode of the premises on:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

or

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

If one or both of those says live for FTTH you should be able to order from most of these ISPs

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

If not live it is generally a month or two from the boxes going up until live. Obviously there are exceptions to this but it is a guide. Keep regularly checking the links I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

Thanks very much its there about a month so ill check that site again in a few weeks very surprised im literally in the sticks ha

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while and last year the boxes as shown in the above post were put up. At that time I contacted Eir and they informed me that I wouldn't be able to get a connection. I also gave up on it because I was advised on these forums that they wouldn't want to connect a farm with a long lane 700ish metres.
    Today just based on the two posts above, I put in my eircode and the Eir site is telling me that I could get FTTH bundles. The Airwire site isn't.
    Could this be an effect of the broadband plan?

Should I get my hopes up and contact a provider, if so which is most likely to be willing to sort the long connection?
    I don't know whether to be optimistic or pessimistic and want to be as prepared/informed as possible when I contact a provider so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update: according to https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx I am "in the AMBER AREA Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan."
    Does anyone know more about what that really means, the FAQ on the NBP site is pretty vague when it comes to timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fluppen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while and last year the boxes as shown in the above post were put up. At that time I contacted Eir and they informed me that I wouldn't be able to get a connection. I also gave up on it because I was advised on these forums that they wouldn't want to connect a farm with a long lane 700ish metres.
    Today just based on the two posts above, I put in my eircode and the Eir site is telling me that I could get FTTH bundles. The Airwire site isn't.

Should I get my hopes up and contact a provider, if so which is most likely to be willing to sort the long connection?
    I don't know whether to be optimistic or pessimistic and want to be as prepared/informed as possible when I contact a provider so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update: according to https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx I am "in the AMBER AREA Your premises is in an area that is not considered commercial by operators. This area will be covered under the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan."
    Does anyone know more about what that really means, the FAQ on the NBP site is pretty vague when it comes to timelines.

There are no set times lines only vague estimates at this time, and even those could be doubted as the contract for the NBP has not been signed and will not be for some months at the earliest, it seems.

Maybe at that time some info will be released about areas to be covered and in what sequence ....... maybe .......

Hi all,

It's nothing to do with the NBP. If your Eircode is passing on

you should be able to order with eir. I'm not sure why the Eircode is not passing with Airwire, either they haven't updated their database or the eir checker is wrong. The only way to find out is to place an order and see what happens.

Ignore the DCCAE map. It is not reliable when it comes to premises passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fluppen

Thanks for the replies.
    I checked on the link you provided and it passed this morning, when I click on the link now it automatically checks my eircode and says it's not available and then when I put the code in manually it says it is available again :).

On https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/can-i-get-eir-fibre-broadband/ it tells me I'm outside the commercial high speed deployment and am in the NBP

Looks like I will have to contact Eir to get a a definite answer.
    Seems like they just adapted their database to include possible connections via the NBP.

Thanks for the replies.
    I checked on the link you provided and it passed this morning, when I click on the link now it automatically checks my eircode and says it's not available and then when I put the code in manually it says it is available again :).

On https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/can-i-get-eir-fibre-broadband/ it tells me I'm outside the commercial high speed deployment and am in the NBP

Looks like I will have to contact Eir to get a a definite answer.
    Seems like they just adapted their database to include possible connections via the NBP.

The only reliable check is

Ignore fibrerollout, ignore DCCAE.

It has nothing to do with the NBP. I cannot be clearer.

Aye .. either use the Eir check or http://www.airwire.ie/avail .. which is much more up to date.

The DCCAE and the fibrerollout map can be a bit screwy.

In some cases you can get a connection, but these 2 will fail .. but if you have a box outside your house a provider with a bit of common sense can even sort that issue for you.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eoin.h

There's a Fibre DP on the pole outside my house (in West Clare). My neighbour (~30m away) has FTTH. The KN engineer who did the Fibre installation next door lives nearby, and told me he's 100% sure a FTTH installation in my house is possible.

My Eircode lookup yields "Fibre is not available in your area". Eir have told me that I can't get Fibre (or any broadband at all) because the cabinet in my area is full. My area is primarily vacant holiday homes and OAPs, so I'd imagine uptake in the area is probably low. Does the "your cabinet is full" response from Eir make sense given this and the feedback from the KN engineer?

eoin.h wrote: »
    The KN engineer who did the Fibre installation next door lives nearby, and told me he's 100% sure a FTTH installation in my house is possible.

Is the DP right outside your house ? Or up the road ?

The KN guy can be full sure all he wants. KN have no say in who gets enabled and who doesn't.

If OpenEIR have not indexed your premise for FTTH, it is going to be hit and miss to get OpenEIR to add you back in, unless you're in the middle of a rollout. And they're the only ones that can do that for whatever provider you order with.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

eoin.h wrote: »
    There's a Fibre DP on the pole outside my house (in West Clare). My neighbour (~30m away) has FTTH. The KN engineer who did the Fibre installation next door lives nearby, and told me he's 100% sure a FTTH installation in my house is possible.

My Eircode lookup yields "Fibre is not available in your area". Eir have told me that I can't get Fibre (or any broadband at all) because the cabinet in my area is full. My area is primarily vacant holiday homes and OAPs, so I'd imagine uptake in the area is probably low. Does the "your cabinet is full" response from Eir make sense given this and the feedback from the KN engineer?

Get on to Airwire, they maybe able to assist - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110212458

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Hey guys, So I am still trying to work out this FTTC and FTTH. From what I gather FTTC is more so in the cities while FTTH is in rural areas!

Right outside my fence in Cork City is a internet cabinet, and on fibrerollout it shows my area as 'green' as in fibre rolled out, however the max speeds I can get are 90mb/s?

I am assuming fibrerollout is just showing that there is a fibre cabinet there, but even though its fibre it isn't getting the 1gb speeds? Or it is that to avail of these 1gb speeds it would have to be upgraded to a FTTH line which feeds directly into the house

Thanks

Hey guys, So I am still trying to work out this FTTC and FTTH. From what I gather FTTC is more so in the cities while FTTH is in rural areas!

Right outside my fence in Cork City is a internet cabinet, and on fibrerollout it shows my area as 'green' as in fibre rolled out, however the max speeds I can get are 90mb/s?

I am assuming fibrerollout is just showing that there is a fibre cabinet there, but even though its fibre it isn't getting the 1gb speeds? Or it is that to avail of these 1gb speeds it would have to be upgraded to a FTTH line which feeds directly into the house

Thanks

You are correct. The cabinets in urban areas are for FTTC, fibre to the cabinet then copper to the premises. FTTH is not available in these areas as of yet. eir are embarking on a nationwide urban FTTH build due to start in the middle of this year and lasting five years.

SIRO are also in the process of a large build in Cork so keep checking your Eircode on their site to be informed of potential upgrades.

I am assuming fibrerollout is just showing that there is a fibre cabinet there, but even though its fibre it isn't getting the 1gb speeds?

Fibre cabinet is the important key word. Fibre cabinet = FTTC. So the last bit is copper to your home.

90 Mbit/s is pretty sweet for FTTC (aka VDSL), as the max with the tech that OpenEIR are using is 100 Mbit/s.

Gbit/s you'll only get if they ACTUALLY bring a fibre into your home (FTTH). As you have plugged your router into a phoneline ... that's never going to happen.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JamTeber

We have recently purchased a house in new estate in Kinsealy. Both Eir & Virgin have indicated that there are no plans to roll out phone line / broadband to this estate of 80 houses.

How can this be the case when all the houses have ducts in place and there is fibre in chapel road adjacent to the estate?

Have you actually ordered?

Taking K36P304 as a sample the APQ comes back for VDSL, two possible serving cabs either side of the church. Only reason I could see OpenEir straight refusing is if they want to leave you wait to be part of the Urban FTTH rollout. If the developer is still in charge of the estate you probably need to talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just checked the air wire website there.
    Fibre has been installed up the road.

Up to now nothing was available but now it says I can get vdsl .

Its not fibre to the home but surely better than nothing. Is it just a matter of ordering thru one of the providers?

Yes, just make sure you're within 1.5km of the new cabinet or it may not be worth your while.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

ED E wrote: »
    Yes, just make sure you're within 1.5km of the new cabinet or it may not be worth your while.

If the Airwire checker says, it's available (without speeds mentioned), then the cabinet is within 500m of the house as the crow flies.

One issue is that very few providers have the knowledge on how to fix that situation, if it's not listed with speeds.

The only 2 cases preventing from a premise getting VDSL is, if the copper does not go through that NGA cabinet or if it goes through another NGA cabinet, that has not been enabled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Is the only way to know for definite to do a speed test once installed? Or is there a way to before you order

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

CptMackey wrote: »
    Is the only way to know for definite to do a speed test once installed? Or is there a way to before you order

Copper is depending on the sync-rate, the distance, the amount joints and the quality of the copper. Newer lines actually perform worse than old ones, because the new ones contain a higher amount aluminum.

And then there is the issue, that it's not always known, what detour the cable was routed on before it arrives in the cab.

So yes, it can not be determined reliably, what speed will be available, until the actual line is tested end-to-end. And it can degrade over years to come. That is the reason, we market it under the term "VDSL" and not "FTTC" or "eFibre" as some other providers do. So that there is no confusion.

With actual Fibre to the Home (ftth), it either works .. or it doesn't. At any speed.

Advertisement