Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

johnyhealy wrote: »
    Happen to know where http://www.airwire.ie/avail is pulling info from and if its reliable?

All our data for the OpenEIR network (VDSL and FTTH) is based entirely on what we receive from OpenEIR. We are just a bit smarter in the way how we analyze their database.

If you get the result "available soon" and it's FTTH, then OpenEIR have indexed your premise for FTTH. That means, it is guaranteed, it will come. We just can not give you a timeline. It can be a month, 6 months or more. But in our experience .. it's 1-2 months for the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnyhealy

Thanks for the info!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

A recent speedtest I did. On Eir 1000MB Fibre to the home package. How is this even possible as a result?

OC0ZDfn
    OC0ZDfn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

giggsirish wrote: »
    A recent speedtest I did. On Eir 1000MB Fibre to the home package. How is this even possible as a result?

It's not, I've found fast.com can give inaccurate results.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

tuxy wrote: »

The issue with SpeedTest.net is I have not found a server to test against that can take a 1GB connection. And constant Speed tests are the scourge of the earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Technically a mis configured OLT could provide 2.5Gb DS but you'd need a 2.5/10G link to the CPE.

FAST is probably using imprecise timing which breaks down when transfers are really really fast. Download from HEANET or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

So there is Fibre Optic installation going on around Headford, Galway at the minute (but not actually in the town). It stops just short of the town itself.

Should this give me hope that the actual town will soon be enabled or another false dawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

All our data for the OpenEIR network (VDSL and FTTH) is based entirely on what we receive from OpenEIR. We are just a bit smarter in the way how we analyze their database.

If you get the result "available soon" and it's FTTH, then OpenEIR have indexed your premise for FTTH. That means, it is guaranteed, it will come. We just can not give you a timeline. It can be a month, 6 months or more. But in our experience .. it's 1-2 months for the majority of people.

Any idea who to contact to get a property indexed? Several clients with FTTH passing right in front of them and available in the area an eir says no!

As an aside:

http://ovh.net/

Better speed test site for Fibre.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Any idea who to contact to get a property indexed? Several clients with FTTH passing right in front of them and available in the area an eir says no!

FTTH passing right in front of them is not quite enough.

If there are DPs (distribution points) along the fibre run, then FTTH should become available eventually. That's the black boxes.

If these are new houses build as part of an estate, then the developer needs to submit the plans with the OpenEIR new housing estate division. Until that is done, OpenEIR often doesn't know about the estate, even though their fibre passes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

So eir website and air wire website are both telling me I can get ftth at my address. (Recently moved into new build) KN engineer sent out today to connect up for broadband, they were here 10 mins and headed off saying the street in the estate isn't set up for ftth.
    Does this sound right to people in the know?

• Advertisement

lfc200 wrote: »
    So eir website and air wire website are both telling me I can get ftth at my address. (Recently moved into new build) KN engineer sent out today to connect up for broadband, they were here 10 mins and headed off saying the street in the estate isn't set up for ftth.
    Does this sound right to people in the know?

Yeah it does. I had it as available for 3 months before I could get it.
    Installer was getting no light at the distribution point.
    I couldn't get an honest answer out of Eir Retail who would only tell me it was a cabling error further down the line. It turned out to be a faulty distribution point in the end. Openeir were very busy in the area at the time so I could see how it wasn't a priority for them.
    You will have much better luck getting an honest answer on what's happening if you went with airwire. Eir provide very little info to low level support.

The good thing I can say is you will get it but it's possible it could take a few weeks or a few months.

Yeah it does. I had it as available for 3 months before I could get it.
    Installer was getting no light at the distribution point.
    I couldn't get an honest answer out of Eir Retail who would only tell me it was a cabling error further down the line. It turned out to be a faulty distribution point in the end. Openeir were very busy in the area at the time so I could see how it wasn't a priority for them.
    You will have much better luck getting an honest answer on what's happening if you went with airwire. Eir provide very little info to low level support.

The good thing I can say is you will get it but it's possible it could take a few weeks or a few months.

Thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but would airwire actually come out and get it set up instead of using kn?

Thanks for that, excuse my ignorance but would airwire actually come out and get it set up instead of using kn?

No problem at all.

No it's open eirs responsibility to provider the connection from the home to the exchange for all providers and they have outsourced most of this work to kn.
    It's only from the exchange onwards that the connection enters each providers own network.

That said some of the smaller companies like airwire will generally spend more time reminding open eir that a fault needs to be repaired and will try to keep the customer updated. The larger companies don't care if they frustrate or even lose such a small number of customers.

No problem at all.

No it's open eirs responsibility to provider the connection from the home to the exchange for all providers and they have outsourced most of this work to kn.
    It's only from the exchange onwards that the connection enters each providers own network.

Thanks Tuxy very helpful.
    So for me it's just hassleing eir or any of the other providers to petition openeir to get the houses connected in the estate?

Thanks Tuxy very helpful.
    So for me it's just hassleing eir or any of the other providers to petition openeir to get the houses connected in the estate?

Only if it's suspected that there is a bigger problem. Since the installer seemed to know what was wrong it's probable that Open Eir had a date they expected your area to go live and made the mistake of adding you to the live list without making the change to account for a slight delay. They probably have a timeline set for the delay to be rectified and there is no changing that.

Only if it's suspected that there is a bigger problem. Since the installer seemed to know what was wrong it's probable that Open Eir had a date they expected your area to go live and made the mistake of adding you to the live list without making the change to account for a slight delay. They probably have a timeline set for the delay to be rectified and there is no changing that.

Thanks again Tuxy, you've been very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

Well i can finally get FTTH can anyone suggest best crowd to go with sky want 200 install fee thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Well i can finally get FTTH can anyone suggest best crowd to go with sky want 200 install fee thanks

All ISP's are charging for new installs on FTTH unless it comes from SIRO. If it does Digiweb will offer free installation on their "Electric Broadband 1000" package. If it using the Open Eir option then it is €49.95.

https://digiweb.ie/siro-unlimited-broadband-1000/
    https://digiweb.ie/ultrafast-ftth-broadband-1000/

Also if a friend recommends you, you receive €30.00 off your first bill (Digiweb only) and they do as a existing customer.

As with Digiweb SIRO installs are free from other ISP's except Eir. Check http://www.siro.ie and enter your Eircode.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

cunnijo wrote: »
    All ISP's are charging for new installs on FTTH...

I beg to differ :)

Weirdly on airwire site my property and those around me went from "available soon" to "not available". This is after KN have ran the fibre past my house and also my house still seems to be part of opener rural 300k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

johnyhealy wrote: »
    Weirdly on airwire site my property and those around me went from "available soon" to "not available". This is after KN have ran the fibre past my house and also my house still seems to be part of opener rural 300k

is fibre live on your road, and your house is the only home on the whole road with a blue dot instead of a green dot on https://fibrerollout.ie/ ?

Na it's not live in my area yet and finding it literally impossible to find out when it will be. The only update I was able to get is that they need to complete some road works on the N20. Council can't give me any info when this will be done-only soon! Whenever that is. Very frustrating that there seems to be no way to get straight answers from Openeir.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    is fibre live on your road, and your house is the only home on the whole road with a blue dot instead of a green dot on https://fibrerollout.ie/ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

House 10 yrs old

Eir pole at head of the drive along the main road.

Current Status: when we moved in they wanted to pole a copper cable back, i said no thanks and they left me cable to run inside a duct. Connected up and have about 40mb down since summer 2017. Having a lot of issues lately.

I have my sisters house next door using same pole, she recently got ftth in, and in fact all 3/4 houses along the small stretch of rd all have the availabilty. All poles have the black box up the pole and i see using phone numbers and eircodes they all can get ftth.
    However when i check my post code i only get the usual 40/50 mb option.

So fiber is along the road, my neighbours are all able to connect, my own sister is using the same eir pole as i am for the copper connection.

What are my next steps if i wanted to get ftth.
    I dont mind them leaving 500 mtrs to me and ill run it myself. My own brother inlaw did that as there house is 250 meters from the same pole.

Why am i excluded

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RichardL1951

I live in a rural area. 7 months ago Open Eir fitted a fibre cable to the telecom poles outside my house and a fibre distribution point on a pole 50 metres away. Since then I’ve been trying to find out when I will have fibre broadband in my house. I’ve contacted Open Eir by email but they’ve stopped replying. I don’t want to take a years contract with a non fibre company since I may get fibre at any time. Has anyone had this experience?

I live in a rural area. 7 months ago Open Eir fitted a fibre cable to the telecom poles outside my house and a fibre distribution point on a pole 50 metres away. Since then I’ve been trying to find out when I will have fibre broadband in my house. I’ve contacted Open Eir by email but they’ve stopped replying. I don’t want to take a years contract with a non fibre company since I may get fibre at any time. Has anyone had this experience?

Unfortunately just because you have a distribution point near your house does not mean you have been included. There is only so many premises they can include on each run of fibre.

Did your eircode ever show on either of these?
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/
    https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

If it's a mistake that your eircode has not been added to the database then airwire may be able to help you.
    If you were just not part of the rollout then there may not be anything that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Since then I’ve been trying to find out when I will have fibre broadband in my house. I’ve contacted Open Eir by email but they’ve stopped replying.

Open-eir are a wholesaler and won't interact with the general public, contact your preferred retailer and they will check FTTH availability for your eircode - https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

P_Cash wrote: »
    What are my next steps if i wanted to get ftth.
    I dont mind them leaving 500 mtrs to me and ill run it myself. My own brother inlaw did that as there house is 250 meters from the same pole.

Why am i excluded

Possibly due to the distance your house is from nearest pole on the road, the network touch point (NTP), 450m may be too far. Have to contacted a retailer like airwire, they may be able to shed some light on your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Hello Martin
    I have checked the map regarding where and which homes can get FTTH. Im not on it :(
    The map in question was last updated: 13/12/2019. When will the newest version be available? Am i likely to be on the new map since i have been told by 2 engineers fixing faults on copper line that i am within distance of the drop point. Closest neighbour was not on the map when it was issued middle of last year but they were added in the last version.

Altreab

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

The Cush wrote: »
    Possibly due to the distance your house is from nearest pole on the road, the network touch point (NTP), 450m may be too far. Have to contacted a retailer like airwire, they may be able to shed some light on your situation.

I have been informed that 4 pole spans is the rule of thumb for adding in address from the nearest drop point. so 200-250 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Altreab2 wrote: »
    I have been informed that 4 pole spans is the rule of thumb for adding in address from the nearest drop point. so 200-250 metres.
    What indicates the "nearest drop point"....on the map or elsewhere....sorry if it's a stupid question. Thanks

Advertisement