Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

Hibrasil wrote: »
    What indicates the "nearest drop point"....on the map or elsewhere....sorry if it's a stupid question. Thanks

Its like a junction box for fiber :) Overhead cable on the top of poles drops down to a box and from there shared to the different individual buildings. Usually allows either 4 or 8 buildings to be connected depending on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I"ve had 300mb fibre installed in my father in laws house on the Carstown rd in Drogheda while we we're having our new house built. Our new house is located 500 meters away on the same road. We had the builder put in a service pipe from the carstown rd to our new house. A fibre line runs past the entrance to our new house along the Carstown road. The fibre cabinet is closer to our new house. So we expected that we would have fibre broadband available to us. I asked Eir to move our broadband to the new house. We settled on a installation date 28th Feb. Long story short. Broadband was installed, but it wasnt fibre. It was copper! The engineer said the fibre was running right past the new house, but, because its not on the roll out map, its not available. The download speed we were left with is between 4-6 mb and less than 0.75mb upload.
    I'll be calling Eir tomorrow to enforce the 14 day cooling off period and canceling the service. I'm sure the rollout will be at least another couple of years away. So disappointing and so Irish in not providing fibre broadband to the houses the along the lenght of the road on which its laid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

1jcdub wrote: »
    I"ve had 300mb fibre installed in my father in laws house on the Carstown rd in Drogheda while we we're having our new house built. Our new house is located 500 meters away on the same road. We had the builder put in a service pipe from the carstown rd to our new house. A fibre line runs past the entrance to our new house along the Carstown road. The fibre cabinet is closer to our new house. So we expected that we would have fibre broadband available to us. I asked Eir to move our broadband to the new house. We settled on a installation date 28th Feb. Long story short. Broadband was installed, but it wasnt fibre. It was copper! The engineer said the fibre was running right past the new house, but, because its not on the roll out map, its not available. The download speed we were left with is between 4-6 mb and less than 0.75mb upload.
    I'll be calling Eir tomorrow to enforce the 14 day cooling off period and canceling the service. I'm sure the rollout will be at least another couple of years away. So disappointing and so Irish in not providing fibre broadband to the houses the along the lenght of the road on which its laid!

FTTH comes from the exchange so the cabinet has no relevance.
    There is only so much capacity at the OLT in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1jcdub wrote: »

Nothing to do with being Irish ...... it was a commercial decision by a company owned by a Frenchman. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

tuxy wrote: »
    FTTH comes from the exchange so the cabinet has no relevance.
    There is only so much capacity at the OLT in the exchange.

And if you go far enough back in history .. it's nothing new.

I couldn't get an ADSL line from Eircom in Cabineteely in 2004. All ports were allocated. Eircom had no interest in adding more linecards.

They told me the line is too bad. But the reality was, that the estate was less than 2 years old and they just didn't bother to put more resources in.

I got a connection eventually, when some poor sod somewhere else in the estate cancelled theirs.

They still operate that way today: if you build a new house, it's going to take 2-5 years for them to list and service your premise with current up to date infrastructure. End of story.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Marlow wrote: »
    And if you go far enough back in history .. it's nothing new.

I couldn't get an ADSL line from Eircom in Cabineteely in 2004. All ports were allocated. Eircom had no interest in adding more linecards.

They told me the line is too bad. But the reality was, that the estate was less than 2 years old and they just didn't bother to put more resources in.

I got a connection eventually, when some poor sod somewhere else in the estate cancelled theirs.

They still operate that way today: if you build a new house, it's going to take 2-5 years for them to list and service your premise with current up to date infrastructure. End of story.

/M

I expect a long wait for fibre. I've cancelled the broadband connection and the asked me to try their SIM broadband. At this stage if I get 30mb download and 5 to 10 upload I'll be happy for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

Gonzo wrote: »
    is fibre live on your road, and your house is the only home on the whole road with a blue dot instead of a green dot on https://fibrerollout.ie/ ?

Hello

Sorry to piggyback on this thread - but I am having a similar issue and am looking for any help or guidance you might be able to offer.

When I type in my Eircode (<...>) nothing happens - we are a new build - so we do not 'exist) even though living in house since June 2019 and had Eircode in Sept 2019.

When I type in my neighbours Eircode (<...>) into the Fiberrollout website, I can see all the green dots up and down our entire village - and I know all my neighbours and they all have Fibre.

So how do I manage to get OpenEir to ad our Eircode to their database? I have tried (for last 6 months) emailing, writing letters, all social media channels.

No communication channels work - what is a girl to do?

Thanks for any help at all.

WiseMona wrote: »
    So how do I manage to get OpenEir to ad our Eircode to their database? I have tried (for last 6 months) emailing, writing letters, all social media channels.

From the time, that your house gets an Eircode, it can take OpenEIR 6-9 months before the Eircode is in their own database.

It can take themselves a year or more after that, before they cop on themselves, unless a provider is actively trying to get your eircode added.

Be mindful though, that even for a openeir partner and provider, this is a time consuming and lengthly process that is not documented whatsoever. Most of them won't even bother taking that sort of orders, because it's too much work and hassle.

OpenEIR also may not have capacity (port wise), as their planning for the network goes back to 2015/2016 and in a lot of places, they can not add new premises. If that is the case, then you'll have to wait for the NBP ... even though every one around you is connected to OpenEIRs 300k. Those 2 are completely different things.

OpenEIR has no obligation to supply high speed broadband in Ireland. Only a phone service and basic broadband. So they don't have to service you with fibre.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEIR has no obligation to supply high speed broadband in Ireland. Only a phone service and basic broadband. So they don't have to service you with fibre.

They only have to give you a radio phone now and essentially dialup, nothing I would call broadband.

WiseMona as Marlow says, try to get an ISP to do the legwork on your behalf.

Thanks Marlow

Fibre would be a dream come true. No one will come out and install any kind of phone line or plain BB until OpenEir ads us to database. AirWire came out to see if they could get line of sight, but there was none.

Without a phone line installed, which Eir will not do, we are stuck using the stupid and very expensive dongles - its absolute madness. Tommy from AirWire has made contact with a couple of local TDs on our behalf and if he gets it done he will have a customer for life. Even if it usually takes 6-9 months for them to ad us to their database, we would be in the home stretch by now and there is still nothing .. you would think we are living in the boonies .. and it only 5 miles from Galway city. Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Thanks EdE

Problem is, Eir will not come out to install a phone line or ordinary BB until OpenEir ads us to the database.
    I can't imagine this is an isolated case. There has to be lots of others building houses and running into the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

i can see posts about distance from nearest DP, we are using 500 metre cable roll for install so as long you are that far you will be ok
    biggest install i did was 8 poles and about 450 metres

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

WiseMona wrote: »
    Thanks EdE

Problem is, Eir will not come out to install a phone line or ordinary BB until OpenEir ads us to the database.
    I can't imagine this is an isolated case. There has to be lots of others building houses and running into the same issue?

Openeir did testing on freshly layed fibre in our new estate last August, still can't see it on their website. What's the point of laying it if they don't want to sell it (or am I missing something).

Seems Eir is still a basket case of a company despite having a French owner, again you would wonder why they bother, is Eir actually good at anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

For the last month or two, Eir have been laying fibre and installing FTTH drop points around Malahide.

So hopefully it won't be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

JuXo wrote: »
    i can see posts about distance from nearest DP, we are using 500 metre cable roll for install so as long you are that far you will be ok
    biggest install i did was 8 poles and about 450 metres

Unfortunately OpenEir didn't agree with that. I'm 7 poles apart and 280m from the nearest DP that's connected to 5 houses and they won't connect me to the DP. Doesn't make any sense to me why they won't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

TheSegal wrote: »
    Unfortunately OpenEir didn't agree with that. I'm 7 poles apart and 280m from the nearest DP that's connected to 5 houses and they won't connect me to the DP. Doesn't make any sense to me why they won't do it
    Try a small ISP. Don't try Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Bit of a random one but I think the fibre cable to my parents house might be damaged - speeds are WAY below what is expected despite multiple changes in provider, it often cuts out entirely for periods of time, and the only time jt was ever stable was when they were with virgin (who use a separate line), though they disliked the overall service for, well, unspecified reasons.

While they've been cooped up for most of the lockdown and using Skype etc to communicate it has been far more noticeable and they're ready to look at a permanent fix, but I'm just checking two things here if anyone can help out

1. About how much it would cost to get a new line up in.
    2. If they shoukd ask sky (who they are with) or Eir (who run the network) to do so.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

tell them to report fault and someone will come and check it, if light on meter is high, 20+, could be bad connection and we replace connectors
    if you know what is their 8882 or landline number, send it by private message and i can test line and see if connection is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi, how easy is it to find out if eir are planning a fibre install in a town? We are thinking of moving out of Dublin, cheers

Placed an order on Tuesday and the equipment arrived today. Awaiting install appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi, how easy is it to find out if eir are planning a fibre install in a town? We are thinking of moving out of Dublin, cheers

I meant to add I've no area code or phone number so can't check exactly what speeds are available

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

KOR101 wrote: »
    Try a small ISP. Don't try Eir.

I tried out Digiweb who tried to connect me to the fiber network but OpenEir said I wasn't part of their rollout and it wasn't possible. Stuck with my 10mb line while neighbours have 500mb until December at the earliest 😞 Was going to go with Imagine but wasn't sure if the speeds would go to muck after the two week cooling off period

TheSegal wrote: »

150m off the road network or 10m past the end of the rollout ... and you will not be included. Full stop.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Until its live assume it'll never be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Rolling out in Aylesbury in Tallaght the last week. How long is it normally from installing cables to being able to get connected?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Rolling out in Aylesbury in Tallaght the last week. How long is it normally from installing cables to being able to get connected?

Took them about 8 months for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

My address has disappeared from the eir location checker. How's that for progress???

g

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

any ideas on how long it takes to 'go live'. I see the black box on the pole near my house (around 50 meters) for the past few weeks but airwire says not available yet. I tried calling eir & airwire but nothing as yet. Any idea on the timeframe from when the box is installed on the pole to placing an order?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Just wondering how accurate the eir rollout map is? I'm in rural mayo and about 100m away from one of the Yellow lines on their map.

Reps on customer chat said it is available to me based on my eircode but the location is in such a black hole for normal phone coverage that I'm sceptical of my eligibility. The 29.99 deal would be perfect for me in terms of affordability if it's in any way reliable, even at low speeds.

Airwire says ftth is available but for vdsl I need to check with suppliers.

A technician is coming out early next week. There's a standard phone poll outside the house but generally how far away from one of these cabinets is too far away? (Any way to find the locations of these?)
    At this stage I'd take speeds of 5mbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Just wondering how accurate the eir rollout map is? I'm in rural mayo and about 100m away from one of the Yellow lines on their map.

Reps on customer chat said it is available to me based on my eircode but the location is in such a black hole for normal phone coverage that I'm sceptical of my eligibility. The 29.99 deal would be perfect for me in terms of affordability if it's in any way reliable, even at low speeds.

Airwire says ftth is available but for vdsl I need to check with suppliers.

A technician is coming out early next week. There's a standard phone poll outside the house but generally how far away from one of these cabinets is too far away? (Any way to find the locations of these?)
    At this stage I'd take speeds of 5mbs

If they say it's not available, am I right to assume the likes of Westnet are my only alternative!?

Advertisement