Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ryevale Lawns - East Entrance, first T junction, on your right side as you turn right.

http://goo.gl/maps/nYPtu

252557.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'm trying to figure out if a cabinet near me has been upgraded. It has no second VDSL cabinet (that I can see).

It's on Church St, Graiguecullen, Carlow

Here it is on google street maps:

35315dt.jpg

There was recently work done on it and it's now a green cabinet with the code CRW 1 001 on it.

Edit: The cabinet as it looks now:

wsapg.jpg

Note altered manholes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

allen175 wrote: »
    Added a few more photos to the markers around Sutton, the cab on Dublin street got a new top added to it during the week. Also added 2 more cabs in Belmayne.

added before and after to the Dublin Street cabs.

Da fudge :confused: - what the hell is that bit added to the top?

They took out the very old grey cab with the newer green fella, but no VDSL has been added. It might indicate they updat that area with VDSL at some stage.

Not the first time i've seen the old grey cabs replaced, but still loads of them dotted around Limerick.

Morf wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if a cabinet near me has been upgraded. It has no second VDSL cabinet (that I can see).

It's on Church St, Graiguecullen, Carlow

Here it is on google street maps:

35315dt.jpg

There was recently work done on it and it's now a green cabinet with the code CRW 1 001 on it.

Edit: The cabinet as it looks now:

wsapg.jpg

Note altered manholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Morf wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if a cabinet near me has been upgraded. It has no second VDSL cabinet (that I can see)

That is a distribution cabinet. You'll have a VDSL cabinet installed nearby to it. We have 3 cabinets at the top of the road but I think the white one we have will also be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yes , KN pull in the sub duct and then Eircom lad's blow the fibre. Depending on if the route is fully ducted and complete , some route's may need civil's if there are blockage's in the u/g duct's. I was talking to lad's one of the day's about 2 week's ago and they were going down to Greystones the following day to blow fibre.

Not necessarily the case. Fibre laying and splicing is often done by contractors on behalf of eircom.

Huawei is actually delivering the whole project in relation to the VDSL cabinet infrastructure so, KN is actually working directly for them.

Eircom is coordinating things and connecting up to its existing wiring infrastructure etc and connecting to the backhaul and aggregation equipment in the exchange buildings which isn't Huawei gear (mostly Alcatel-Lucent etc)

With complex rollouts of high technology equipment the supplier almost always takes charge of it in a turnkey style project with eircom being the customer.

Huawei seem to have an on going management and maintenance contract for these cabinets and associated infrastructure too.

I'd suspect that's why Huawei Ireland suddenly sprung up with a fairly reasonable size presence here.

They've gear in some of the mobile networks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Tonio

Added 3 more in Midleton after taking a drive around the town yesterday. Cabinets (old and new) are fairly thin on the ground (to me at least!). Could it be that in small towns where much of the town is within 1km of the exchange that not many cabinets are needed? Could the VDSL gear be installed in the exchange instead? Edit: Still I'd expect to see many more cabinets near the large newish estates on the edges of the town - where could they be?

Tonio wrote: »
    Added 3 more in Midleton after taking a drive around the town yesterday. Cabinets (old and new) are fairly thin on the ground (to me at least!). Could it be that in small towns where much of the town is within 1km of the exchange that not many cabinets are needed? Could the VDSL gear be installed in the exchange instead? Edit: Still I'd expect to see many more cabinets near the large newish estates on the edges of the town - where could they be?

1KM is too far. You'd want gear half way. If you see old white cabs, you'll probably see the distribution cabs going in before the VDSL cab comes along.

The cabinets aren't always at the entrance of the estate. They could be inside the estate. They could be a few hundred metres down the road. They could be hidden in a field beside the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Just back in Ireland and noticed the fiber being rolled out, I entered my parents details on the website but couldn't find my address (we have an odd address) but an address 1 min down the road is capable of fibre. Is this a free upgrade or are they charging ridiculous amounts for it?

Wouldn't mind a bit of fiber action!

Battleflag wrote: »
    Just back in Ireland and noticed the fiber being rolled out, I entered my parents details on the website but couldn't find my address (we have an odd address) but an address 1 min down the road is capable of fibre. Is this a free upgrade or are they charging ridiculous amounts for it?

Wouldn't mind a bit of fiber action!

It's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

red_bairn wrote: »
    1KM is too far.

It depends how far you're from the exchange at the moment and what speed you need? I'm about 7km from the exchange and get about 1.5mb. I'd be about 1.2km from the cab, not erected yet but base was put in last week, I surely get my up to 10 - 15mb if connected to the fibre cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

phog wrote: »
    It depends how far you're from the exchange at the moment and what speed you need? I'm about 7km from the exchange and get about 1.5mb. I'd be about 1.2km from the cab, not erected yet but base was put in last week, I surely get my up to 10 - 15mb if connected to the fibre cab.

vdsl speeds drop pretty dramatically after the first km. i wouldn't bet on it.

http://nbnmyths.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dsl-speed-comparisons.jpg
    they;re rolling vdsl1

red_bairn wrote: »
    It's free.
    Unfortunately its not, just rang them there and although the line is capable, our current bundle will change and you have to commit to an 18 month contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Unfortunately its not, just rang them there and although the line is capable, our current bundle will change and you have to commit to an 18 month contract.

You don't have to go with eircom retail. Lots of other providers will be using the FTTC infrastructure. Have a chat with magnet, vodafone, Digiweb etc

Well yeah, you would have to pay more for certain bundles. But the installation is free. For our current bill we are paying about €55 for UK calls and phone & 8Mb.

If they are coming out with a regular bundle at about €50 for "up to" 70Mb and phone. Then the service would be "free" as such. But if you are paying less than that, then you wouldn't be looking at a "free" upgrade.

Did they give you any prices for bundles or did they just say that your bundle price would increase?

No they didn't, I'm living with the folks for the summer and although 8MB/s is adequate, 70MB/s seemed a lot more attractive if it had been free. Since I feck off in September again I don't want to mess with the folks bill so I'll just leave it

No they didn't, I'm living with the folks for the summer and although 8MB/s is adequate, 70MB/s seemed a lot more attractive if it had been free. Since I feck off in September again I don't want to mess with the folks bill so I'll just leave it

I reckon they should watch out for the wholesalers that will be using Eircom's service and see if their prices are much more attractive, especially if they are looking for a simple low budget bundle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Wow, Meath really seems to be left out of this rollout. I would have thought places like Dunboyne would be set up with it at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Surinam wrote: »
    Wow, Meath really seems to be left out of this rollout. I would have thought places like Dunboyne would be set up with it at least.

What about Navan? They have the largest population in this county and the 10th largest population in Ireland, but they're on phase 5, which won't be upgraded until 2014.

I live in Ashbourne and we're being upgraded in December of this year.

Kromdar wrote: »
    vdsl speeds drop pretty dramatically after the first km. i wouldn't bet on it.

http://nbnmyths.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dsl-speed-comparisons.jpg
    they;re rolling vdsl1

I spoke with an engineer that was involved in the fibre rollout in NI and she's confident that my speeds will dramatically increase.

I'll wait and see but I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I spoke with an engineer that was involved in the fibre rollout in NI and she's confident that my speeds will dramatically increase.

I'll wait and see but I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Edited to add - I did a quick search after replying and found this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80697391&postcount=2

Still not sure how accurate it is but I'm more hopeful again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Added a cabinet on Greenmount Avenue, Cork (Quaker Road - QKR).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭VINNIEB

Hi,

Tullamore has three cabs marked.
    So, I was passing the one marked spollenstown and there is no new cab there just a cable cab. I will check out the cillban one soon.

Vinnie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

The reason SB got banned is prob best not discussed here folks

The height of arrogance, the likes of Sponge Bob, with a massive postcount here & not trivial AH type stuff, but never any hint as to credentials, let alone identity.

I would have banned long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Update from SB:

1. All exchanges due to launch by July 2013 have some activity mapped with the exceptions of Thurles Clonmel Dundalk Kildare Carrick on Shannon and Gorey. Everywhere else is complete or being built right now. We would appreciate it were Boardsies in those towns to go on the prowl and report back here.

2. All 2013 exchanges are due to be fully live by September 2013 latest, possibly by August.

3. A large block of the Phase 5 exchanges have been loaded into the last page of the mapping spreadsheet. These are due to go live from October 2013 onwards ( not in 2014 ) and mappable activity is expected in the next 2 months.

4. The entire program is due to be completed in July 2014 DEPENDING on how the engineer installation program works out. Every other process is at scale bar the customer premises activities contracted to Sierra.

The height of arrogance, the likes of Sponge Bob, with a massive postcount here & not trivial AH type stuff, but never any hint as to credentials, let alone identity.

I would have banned long ago.

:confused: - so you're questioning the mans intent/integrity?....based on what?

bealtine wrote: »
    Update from SB:
    Every other process is at scale bar the customer premises activities contracted to Sierra.

So Sierra are doing the home installs not Eircom?

So Sierra are doing the home installs not Eircom?

Yes. They've been in training over the last few months to learn how to do it right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 bluescorpion

TheChizler wrote: »
    There was one existing in the entrance to Silvercourt which is right next to the one you added. Is that possibly the same one?

Chizler, I just went to check Silvercourt/Halcon Drive. And there is indeed a second cabinet there. So it is not the same one. The cabinets are about 150 feet way from each other. I think one was removed from the map, so I've put it back in. Not surprising really, as the area is very densely housed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Chizler, I just went to check Silvercourt/Halcon Drive. And there is indeed a second cabinet there. So it is not the same one. The cabinets are about 150 feet way from each other. I think one was removed from the map, so I've put it back in. Not surprising really, as the area is very densely housed.

Excellent! Apologies for that. Gmaps really needs a proper 'undo' button, I can be a little over-zealous when trying to find dupes!

Also, added QKR1 055A on Gas Works Road in Cork!

Advertisement