Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

domeld wrote: »
    I mapped ;)
    @prioryc did they tell You when cabinet will be live? Do they have any time frame?

Try to keep to the naming convention as well:

Gorey - GRY - Main Exchange

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

unsure how to and rather than mess it up thought the info on it's own would be of benefit to those more experienced in map. if there are instructions i can look at leave me a message or link to instructions.Thanks.

prioryc wrote: »
    unsure how to and rather than mess it up thought the info on it's own would be of benefit to those more experienced in map. if there are instructions i can look at leave me a message or link to instructions.Thanks.

Select the marker.
    Press Edit.
    Edit the title/description
    (or later on add a picture; upload to http://imgur.com/ and Choose Rich Text above the field for the description).

To change the colour of the marker, simply click on the marker beside the title field.

domeld wrote: »
    I mapped ;)
    @prioryc did they tell You when cabinet will be live? Do they have any time frame?
    I did ask, he told me that they installed in Kildare something like 2 weeks ago where he was from and that they got a signup leaflet yesterday, he also said they are very quick to hook up showed me the inside with all the components and software in a bag ready to go. Also said good speeds are being reported.

prioryc wrote: »
    I did ask, he told me that they installed in Kildare something like 2 weeks ago where he was from and that they got a signup leaflet yesterday, he also said they are very quick to hook up showed me the inside with all the components and software in a bag ready to go. Also said good speeds are being reported.

That's a good sign. Did he tell you how long most towns take? Greystones has been worked on for 3-4weeks now and they have a good few in but I reckon they may have almost 20 more to go. The power hasn't been sorted by the cherrypickers (ESB). I reckon they'll do that in one swoop when all the cabinets have been sorted in our town.

Anyway, I've edited details in the majority of markers in Gorey.

There were some double entries. Please try to look out for markers that are already entered for Gorey. The descriptions should also describe where they are located and if you can get any photos throw them up online and link them by using the Rich Text option on the markers.

The two photos in one marker look great. Nice work guys. I'll see one or two Gorey heads tomorrow and let them know that they may be able to avail of this service in the next few months. I reckon Gorey will go live around the same time as Greystones (possibly late June/July).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

how many cabs are mapped now

how many cabs are mapped now

According to the Fusion table, 1419 but that the table was edited at 11:45 AM.

I also removed 2-3 markers in Gorey that were double entries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just an update for this previously marked location, i walked by yesterday and there are two VDSL cabs....not sure if when i marked the location last time if there was one or two?

But i now have a pic :)http://goo.gl/maps/hHjSe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Would something like this router be compatible with Eircom's FTTC? It says it's "vectoring-ready".

Please make these comments on this thread, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume there will be a VDSL DSLAM inside the exchange as well, which is not far from the harbour.

(actually just checked google maps - its about 600m from the exchange to the Harbour itself, so a cab probably is needed around there).

No. Was talking to a contractor recently and he said all VDSL DSLAMs will be fitted in cabs, some exchanges have direct feeds and a copper cab us required too. One (coper cab) erected on a laneway off Riches St, Limerick - opp Widdess's Chemist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

phog wrote: »
    No. Was talking to a contractor recently and he said all VDSL DSLAMs will be fitted in cabs, some exchanges have direct feeds and a copper cab us required too. One (coper cab) erected on a laneway off Riches St, Limerick - opp Widdess's Chemist.

There are a LOT of older urban areas that don't have distribution cabinets at all. I would guess that they'll have to have them fitted.

For example, in the Cork Central exchange area (central island of cork city) I've never seen a distribution cabinet anywhere.

Also in the Wellington Rd exchange area a lot of the 1920s to 1950s housing seems to have a similar setup too. There are occasional big vaults in the ground with 4 or more lids but no cabinets anywhere.

I assume its all done underground.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Select the marker.
    Press Edit.
    Edit the title/description
    (or later on add a picture; upload to http://imgur.com/ and Choose Rich Text above the field for the description).

To change the colour of the marker, simply click on the marker beside the title field.
    Here's the finished picture from Goreyhill,Carnew Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 twinston

Spotted in Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim yesterday.

On the convent grounds in Mount Temple. Added it to the map.

EFibreCabinet.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I got a flyer in through my letterbox about efibre yesterday in Newcastle, Co Wicklow. However I cannot see a new cabinet near the old one so I am very confused.

Cormic wrote: »
    I got a flyer in through my letterbox about efibre yesterday in Newcastle, Co Wicklow. However I cannot see a new cabinet near the old one so I am very confused.

Where are you located exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Think I saw one up by Castle Warden Golf club which is just off the N7 between Dublin and Naas. Very newly installed and wrapped in plastic whatever it was.

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Think I saw one up by Castle Warden Golf club which is just off the N7 between Dublin and Naas. Very newly installed and wrapped in plastic whatever it was.

If you can, try to get a photo of the it, the next time you pass by it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Added two for Hazelwood in Glanmire, plus one for the AIB in Glanmire (I couldn't see it mapped) and also added one for Brooklodge school.
    For the two in Hazelwood, they are both at the same location so I called them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I got all excited today when I looked at the efibre map on the Eircom website. Even though I live in Monasterboice, Im near Donegans which is bright green, meaning that the exchange is enabled for efibre now.

I called Eircom and was told that although Im actually connected to the Drogheda exchange and my area is indeed enabled, its not yet available to my home as the local cabinet has not yet been upgraded. They say they have a lead time of approx 2 weeks, and that I should give them a call around that time.

At the moment I dont even have my line connected as they couldnt guarantee more than 1mb due to distance from the exchange. When they say that, does that mean to the local cabinet or to the actual exchange? If they do indeed upgrade with fibre to the local cabinet, that should mean I can get a decent speed as it would only be the distance from my house to the cabinet, rather than all the way to the exchange? Is that right?

The nearest upgraded exchange to me at the moment according to the map on here is at the M1 retail park, but thats about 5km from me. So I guess I will have to go driving around to try and see if I can find a green box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I got all excited today when I looked at the efibre map on the Eircom website. Even though I live in Monasterboice, Im near Donegans which is bright green, meaning that the exchange is enabled for efibre now.

I called Eircom and was told that although Im actually connected to the Drogheda exchange and my area is indeed enabled, its not yet available to my home as the local cabinet has not yet been upgraded. They say they have a lead time of approx 2 weeks, and that I should give them a call around that time.

At the moment I dont even have my line connected as they couldnt guarantee more than 1mb due to distance from the exchange. When they say that, does that mean to the local cabinet or to the actual exchange? If they do indeed upgrade with fibre to the local cabinet, that should mean I can get a decent speed as it would only be the distance from my house to the cabinet, rather than all the way to the exchange? Is that right?

The nearest upgraded exchange to me at the moment according to the map on here is at the M1 retail park, but thats about 5km from me. So I guess I will have to go driving around to try and see if I can find a green box.

I'm in Stameen, and I rang today to see about upgrading. Was told that Drogheda is actually Phase 2, which is a couple of months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

spotted one, newly-opened Marrsfield Avenue, north end of clongriffin. added to the edit map. full cabinet, tagged DOM01-005, i guess it'll be serving just marrsfield. as regarding main street clongriffin [particularly around the centra] i would imagine the cabinet is installed in the basement of one of the apartment blocks, as i havent seen any surface cabinets, and its a bit of a distance between the marrsfield one and the station road one.

Is there any phone number that I can ring that will be able to tell me where my local cabinet is? Ive driven for nearly 90 minutes all round here, also followed line for miles and still couldnt see any of the cabinets. The nearest I could find was 5.2km away. Ive heard I need to be around 1km max to benefit....???

Is there any phone number that I can ring that will be able to tell me where my local cabinet is? Ive driven for nearly 90 minutes all round here, also followed line for miles and still couldnt see any of the exchange boxes. The nearest I could find was 5.2km away. Ive heard I need to be around 1km max to benefit....???

Have you looked at the first post in this tread? it links to a google map with all cabinets pinned by users. Also, theres an image of what the old and new cabinets look like. They are usually very close to the front of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Just saved a new one (or at least I think I did) on the Tullow Road in Carlow, beside the nursing home/outside The Orchards.

photozkq.jpg

Have you looked at the first post in this tread? it links to a google map with all cabinets pinned by users. Also, theres an image of what the old and new cabinets look like. They are usually very close to the front of the estate.

Yes of course I have read that post! :D

Most of the cabinets listed on there are in quite densely populated urban areas. I live in a field, surrounded by more fields.

I know exactly what the cabinets looks like, the new ones having the locking mechanism which resembles a chunky hinge. My problem is that whatever cabinet my phone is connected to, isnt due to upgraded for around 2 more weeks, but I wanted to know if there was a way I could find out its exact location now. It wont be on the map as that is for sites which have already been upgraded. As it seems that most of the upgraded cabinets are in the same location as the existing cabinets, I can then work out how far I am from the cabinet.

What is the longest distance a house would be from a cabinet typically?

Yes of course I have read that post! :D

Most of the cabinets listed on there are in quite densely populated urban areas. I live in a field, surrounded by more fields.

I know exactly what the cabinets looks like, the new ones having the locking mechanism which resembles a chunky hinge. My problem is that whatever cabinet my phone is connected to, isnt due to upgraded for around 2 more weeks, but I wanted to know if there was a way I could find out its exact location now. It wont be on the map as that is for sites which have already been upgraded. As it seems that most of the upgraded cabinets are in the same location as the existing cabinets, I can then work out how far I am from the cabinet.

What is the longest distance a house would be from a cabinet typically?

Ah oky doky. Apologies. Not sure about the distance from exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lykke

New cabinet 1km south of Milltown village opposite jehovah witness hall

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

majority of lines would be under 5miles to the nearest exchange. after that dsl lines become next to unusable. they tend to put subtended exchanges [sub-exchanges] off the larger ones for rural areas. if you have dsl at the moment and its over 1mb in speed, you'll probably benefit...
    however, the fibre cabs have a limited range (that i posted earlier on) so you may not get that much of a benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Found & mapped one in Blennerville, Tralee, Co. Kerry (TWV1 013A). Still 2.2km from my house. Going looking for a one closer to home tomorrow.

Advertisement