Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Lots of Eircom lads out and about yesterday doing stuff around Limerick city centre.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Closest one to me according to the map is is down by Sundrive Garda station; that's out of range ... clutching at straws but does anyone know if Our Ladies' Hospital for sick Children would be a priority for such and therefor should be one nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Closest one to me according to the map is is down by Sundrive Garda station; that's out of range ... clutching at straws but does anyone know if Our Ladies' Hospital for sick Children would be a priority for such and therefor should be one nearby?

If there is a copper cabinet beside it a fiber cabinet will appear beside the copper cab.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

clutching at straws but does anyone know if Our Ladies' Hospital for sick Children would be a priority for such and therefor should be one nearby?
    That's my general manor too, and work relating to the Crumlin exchange has been very slow off the mark. Next year, says the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Added a few more around Glanmire that I spotted over the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

How do I find out the location of the cabinet Im connected to? Ive been on the phone 6 times to different departments in Eircom and they are ALL just constantly trying to turn my question into a sales pitch. After explaining that Im trying to find the location on my cabinet to determine if its within the 1km range to expect a decent speed from efibre, they still try and sell me it, even though Ive already explained that Ive spoken to sales and that my cabinet isnt upgraded yet! Its like banging my head against a brick wall!

Someone in Eircom must know what cabinet Im connected and where its located. How hard can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Someone in Eircom must know what cabinet Im connected and where its located. How hard can it be?

Try phone faults. they're the wire guys.

a friend of mine found a cab in swords, newly installed next to the old one, brand new distribution and fibre cab. tagged as SRD11. i was going to add it to the "edit" map, but there's nothing on it for swords anymore...

Kromdar wrote: »
    Try phone faults. they're the wire guys.

Thanks for that.

I tried, but they also dont have access to that kind of information. They said only the engineers know the routes of lines and where everything is installed. They are not able to take calls from the public, and they were not interested in putting in a request to have the details passed on to me.

I honestly cannot believe how poor and shoddy the entire setup is. Its hardly an awkward request. "This is my number, what cabinet am I connected to? Where is that cabinet? Thanks".

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Im going on a drive, but instead of aimlessly looking for a cabinet Im going to be searching for an Eircom van and I will ask the driver!

BTW, has anyone else got excited when searching for a cabinet and something green catching your eye, only to be a refuse bin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

red_bairn wrote: »
    Where are you located exactly?

I am in Newcastle Village itself. In Seacourt.

Cormic wrote: »

Have you been around the area to see if there are any cabinets installed eslewhere? It could just mean they will be coming soon. Not all cabinets are installed in some places that are going live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Have you checked the Eircom eFibre Map:

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

This is my first time seeing it, so apologies if you have checked this already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

mindstorms wrote: »
    Have you checked the Eircom eFibre Map:

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

This is my first time seeing it, so apologies if you have checked this already.

Looking at the map it is included in the May to June rollout zone. Happy days!

Thanks red_bairn and mindstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Looking at the map it is included in the May to June rollout zone. Happy days!

Thanks red_bairn and mindstorms.

Dont put too much faith in the map. Drogheda is listed as ready to go, but it's still a few weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I notice in Cork City Wellington Road's been updated to May-June 2013.
    While Hettyfield (the exchange serving Ballinlough / Blackrock / parts of Douglas) has disappeared off the map again!

Well I went driving about looking for some Eircom vans and I did indeed find two of them parked next to one of the new cabinets.

I explained to them where I lived and that Eircom had been unable to tell me which cabinet I was connected to. They couldnt believe it, stating that of course they must know. Anyway they brought out a huge big map which showed all the new exchanges on it and they told me that I am connected to one called "Old Cement Quarry" which is already listed on the boards map of enabled cabinets. As I feared, Im just over 5km away from the cabinet and I know its unlikely to do anything for me. They said they were not so sure that it would be as bad as 1mb, they said its highly possible it could be 20mb, but that the only was to tell is when the cabinet is actually live.

For anyone interested, he told me that particular cabinet is called "DBC1 027".

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

man i'd love to get a hold of those maps. i'm surprised the phone lads dont have them, i get its probably a call centre but still, they seemed to know their stuff when i called them. shame really.

as regarding the distance, it can be better or worse, depending on how the lines are run. if its 5k along the roads, think... most rural areas are served by overhead poles, which generally cross fields directly. it could be shorter as the crow flies, dont give up just yet :D

Kromdar wrote: »
    man i'd love to get a hold of those maps. i'm surprised the phone lads dont have them, i get its probably a call centre but still, they seemed to know their stuff when i called them. shame really.

as regarding the distance, it can be better or worse, depending on how the lines are run. if its 5k along the roads, think... most rural areas are served by overhead poles, which generally cross fields directly. it could be shorter as the crow flies, dont give up just yet :D

This particular map was just for the Drogheda area, but it was bigger than the bonnet of his van. It showed all the lines coming into some place in Patrick Street.

I had thought about the fact that the distance may be shortened as lines can cut across fields, however that 5km on the road route, is virtually straight anyway, so at best it could cut a few hundred metres.

I wonder how much 5km of fibre costs.......maybe if I bought it they would install it for free!

This particular map was just for the Drogheda area, but it was bigger than the bonnet of his van. It showed all the lines coming into some place in Patrick Street.

I had thought about the fact that the distance may be shortened as lines can cut across fields, however that 5km on the road route, is virtually straight anyway, so at best it could cut a few hundred metres.

I wonder how much 5km of fibre costs.......maybe if I bought it they would install it for free!

Where are you located?

Hamlinstown Lane in Monasterboice.

Drogheda - DBC - North Road 1 - DBC 027

^^^This one is in Whitethorn Park where my mate lives...is that the one he is on about?

• Advertisement

Drogheda - DBC - North Road 1 - DBC 027

^^^This one is in Whitethorn Park where my mate lives...is that the one he is on about?

Yes, thats the one. The one on the other side of the road next to the garage is to serve towards the town. Thats what the engineer said to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

rordeb wrote: »
    Dublin road Skerries - 2 days ago. Already on the map.

Cabinet now installed in Skerries on the Dublin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Repeating this post as a public service announcement

An awful lot of people here seem to assume that an exchange going live means that all the cabinets in that exchange area will be live...
    I'll have to sing : say it ain't so

eircom are installing faster cabinets much faster than commissioning.
    They installed cab 1000 in late feb and cab 2000 last week indicating a physical install rate of around 100 a week.

However owing to a lack of staff in operations they are only commissioning around 100 a month at present ...and losing addresses and database snafus etc, I think there is a shortage of fibre fusion splicers too ( equipment and personnel).

So an exchange going live means nothing of the sort, it means a few cabinets but the other cabinets will be turned on in dribs and drabs later, some perhaps as late as next year. eircom will announce the exchange is live of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kevinw07

Hi, I've recently noticed the new fiber cabinet has been installed 70ft away from my house, I was wondering what kind of speeds I could expect? I know the service won't be going live until December at the earliest in my area.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

kevinw07 wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently noticed the new fiber cabinet has been installed 70ft away from my house, I was wondering what kind of speeds I could expect? I know the service won't be going live until December at the earliest in my area.

Thanks

see this chart (attached):

kevinw07 wrote: »

Thanks

70Mbps Download / 20Mbps Upload or close to.

If the cabinet has not been mapped, please try to enter it in to our Crowdscoure map on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kevinw07

70Mbps Download / 20Mbps Upload or close to.

If the cabinet has not been mapped, please try to enter it in to our Crowdscoure map on Google.

I have just added the location to the map

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

If underground ducting isn't available then I'd guess the cost of the cable may very easily be a fraction of the total cost to get the 5km cabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

bealtine wrote: »
    Repeating this post as a public service announcement

An awful lot of people here seem to assume that an exchange going live means that all the cabinets in that exchange area will be live...
    I'll have to sing : say it ain't so

eircom are installing faster cabinets much faster than commissioning.
    They installed cab 1000 in late feb and cab 2000 last week indicating a physical install rate of around 100 a week.

However owing to a lack of staff in operations they are only commissioning around 100 a month at present ...and losing addresses and database snafus etc, I think there is a shortage of fibre fusion splicers too ( equipment and personnel).

So an exchange going live means nothing of the sort, it means a few cabinets but the other cabinets will be turned on in dribs and drabs later, some perhaps as late as next year. eircom will announce the exchange is live of course.
    ''So an exchange going live means nothing of the sort, it means a few cabinets but the other cabinets will be turned on in dribs and drabs later, some perhaps as late as next year. eircom will announce the exchange is live of course.''[/QUOTE]Yep thats it in a nut shell.Just been on to a rep and told me the same thing.
    Im in Kilkenny City which is supposed to be ''live''.
    Have two shiney new cabinets within 400 metres of me which were installed a couple of months ago but the rep said it could be ''months''before they are connected.
    Do they have to open the shiney new cabinet locks and press the on button?
    So yeah having a cabinet beside or near you means nothing even if you are in a supposedley ''live'' area like Kilkenny City.
    Eircom really should have delayed their ad campaign and launch for ebire until the end of this year.
    Anyway welcome back to Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

booterboy wrote: »
    Eircom really should have delayed their ad campaign and launch for ebire until the end of this year.
    Anyway welcome back to Eircom.

Why, let those that can avail of it get it and those that have to wait can just do that. I have to wait for my cab to go live but at least I know it's being installed. Anyway, if they waited until the end of the year, you'd still have folk in areas where their cab may not be ready and thinking why didn't ercom wait to launch it later in the year. Never ending circle.

Advertisement