Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Well as some of you will know, Ive found the closest cabinet to me is 5.2km away, so absolutely useless for ADSL. Thankfully I have a solution. Net1, who I was with in my old house, have managed to get me a great connection. Low pings and solid up and down speeds. Now I can game to my hearts content.

The link is over 13km away!

IMAG1152.jpg
    2726794110.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Net1, who I was with in my old house, have managed to get me a great connection. Low pings and solid up and down speeds. Now I can game to my hearts content.

The link is over 13km away!

Price?

red_bairn wrote: »
    Price?

47EUR per month. Thats truly unlimited downloads with no fair use policy. It also includes the phone with free landline calls to Ireland and the UK 24/7.

Considering Eircom couldnt even guarantee 1mb and I live miles from anywhere, this is exceptional. For the last 5 weeks since moving home, Ive had to tether my PC to my tablet using the 3G network. Its all over the place, full signal, but the speed varies from nothing at all to 3Mb and with pings never less than 90 bumping up to 1000! Useless for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 matildajane

can someone tell me how close to a cab do you have to be in order to get fibre broadband. Apparently my 'cab' is enabled but line is not. I live in a rural area outside of Swords. nearest cab - based on maps here is around 4km away.

can someone tell me how close to a cab do you have to be in order to get fibre broadband. Apparently my 'cab' is enabled but line is not. I live in a rural area outside of Swords. nearest cab - based on maps here is around 4km away.

It drops off very quickly. Anything over 1km is of no use. So you are far too far away to benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 matildajane

10 miles from dublin city centre and no broadband - what a joke! Have they installed all the cabs now?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

I'm glad to add one more VSDL cabinet in Carrick-on-Shannon. The reason I'm happy to spot it is the fact it's within the 500m range from the place I live:D

This one is actually up to 30m(!) away from the original eircom cabinet which is situated in front of the Sherry Fitzgerald office. The actual VSDL cabinet could be found across of the road facing Driving Test Centre.

Pics added.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Added new VDSL cab ..Cork Rd Mallow near St Gobnetts Cemetary,Mallow Town

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I see from the Main Cab Map that i'm not the only one posting location of cabinets in mallow:cool: ...today i noticed a new VDSL cab at the "crossroads dromahane" villiage on the map... seems its about 10k from the main exchange wonder what kind of speed the locals will get,,seen the k&n guys around there today digging

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

I've just mapped three more cabs on Blanchardstown exchange - the first ones we have mapped that are north of the N3.
    Still a long way to go for that exchange but getting there... LOTS more cabs yet to be installed and I'm sure a few I just haven't found yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

mindstorms wrote: »
    Added a few more around Glanmire that I spotted over the last few days

Just added another Glanmire cab to the map, just inside the entrance of Crawford Woods on the right hand side (quite tidily between the hedge and wall!). Within about 6 weeks they had installed the ducting, then the fibre, then the plinth, then the cab, and earlier this week the power was hooked up. So now it's just a matter of waiting for the cab to be commissioned - according to the Eircom eFibre map this will be between July and December. Fingers crossed that target doesn't slip. Vodafone (my current provider) emailed me telling me that fibre was coming soon, but no date set.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

are there any signs of cabs to be installed in the Ballinasloe area or is it too soon for that sort of crack??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Added one for ashbrook enniscorthy. Its the only one ive seen around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bush wrote: »
    Added one for ashbrook enniscorthy. Its the only one ive seen around here.

I've just added one for Ross Rd. near the main gate for the Showgrounds,there's a few more added also by myself & Chizler.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Is there a 'Joe' in the house?
    Looks like someone overwrote the instructions and SB message of the day on the ADD map while adding a cab in Bray - they also seem to have a dupe in place for it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I mapped a load of cabs today around Raheen/Dooradoyle....was out at the regional for my scheduled blood tests so took a walk about. I'll start upping the pics/links....not sure if some of these have already been mapped and marked on the map or not?

First one is here: http://goo.gl/maps/MFhhi

Old grey cab on Street View gone, replaced with big green + VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

It would be nice now if there was a list of complete locations around Ireland. i.e. people can actually get broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Codpeas wrote: »
    Is there a 'Joe' in the house?
    Looks like someone overwrote the instructions and SB message of the day on the ADD map while adding a cab in Bray - they also seem to have a dupe in place for it...

Ahahaha! We also know he's been to Ibiza and Italy. :D

There are two VDSL cabs at this location: http://goo.gl/maps/7ZVKW

Street View shows a big green and old grey, the old grey is gone...ergo two big green at the location + two VDSL.

Another VDSL cab located here: http://goo.gl/maps/nwOA6
    Its connected to the old grey cab in the parking lot, the grey cab is still there and not been switched out.

• Advertisement

Lone VDSL cab located here around this area of the stone wall, its right next to the wall....didnt spot any bigger grey or green cab that its usually connected to: http://goo.gl/maps/za3S5

The old grey cab at this location swapped out for big green + VDSL added: http://goo.gl/maps/3FWWL

Again at this location the old grey seen on Street View swapped out with big green + VDSL added: http://goo.gl/maps/EYiLq

VDSL added to this location: http://goo.gl/maps/XmJFY

VDSL added to this location, my phone must have gone wonky because it only has one pic but i took more at this location :rolleyes:

http://goo.gl/maps/EN6ay

Last one, VDSL added to this location: http://goo.gl/maps/ipvOS

Pretty sure there are loads more around Raheen/Dooradoyle.
    I havent marked any of these cabs to the fibre map, so hopefully Sponge Bob or someone updates with pics and locations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

zerks wrote: »
    I've just added one for Ross Rd. near the main gate for the Showgrounds,there's a few more added also by myself & Chizler.

Ye sorry I meant to say up around this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

One that has not been mapped yet in Kilkenny City is located 50 metres from St. Lukes General Hospital entrance on Frehford Road.
    Will take pic tomorrow and map it.
    All VDSL cabinets in Kilkenny are black btw.
    I live between two of these VDSL cabinets about 400 metres from one and 350 metres from another.
    Can anybody in Ireland answer me these next few questions.
    Kilkenny City is supposed to be ''Live''.Eircom insist that my exchange is not enabled yet.As far as I know there is only one exchange in Kilkenny City located at the Parade.
    These cabinets near me that have been installed months ago,how do they enable them,is there an on switch?
    Was told my Eircom rep it will be months before I can get efibre(Kilkenny is a small town)and she kept going on about me being on a different exchange.
    Any answers greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

booterboy wrote: »
    One that has not been mapped yet in Kilkenny City is located 50 metres from St. Lukes General Hospital entrance on Frehford Road.
    Will take pic tomorrow and map it.
    All VDSL cabinets in Kilkenny are black btw.
    I live between two of these VDSL cabinets about 400 metres from one and 350 metres from another.
    Can anybody in Ireland answer me these next few questions.
    Kilkenny City is supposed to be ''Live''.Eircom insist that my exchange is not enabled yet.As far as I know there is only one exchange in Kilkenny City located at the Parade.
    These cabinets near me that have been installed months ago,how do they enable them,is there an on switch?
    Was told my Eircom rep it will be months before I can get efibre(Kilkenny is a small town)and she kept going on about me being on a different exchange.
    Any answers greatly appreciated.

During the boom times to provide lines to estates on the edge of towns smaller cab type exchanges were used maybe you're working from one of these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭booterboy

phog wrote: »
    During the boom times to provide lines to estates on the edge of towns smaller cab type exchanges were used maybe you're working from one of these

Appreciate reply phog.Just totally confused lol.No problem waiting for efibre but as far as I am aware there is no other mini exchane on my side of town,also I live 150 metres from General hospital.
    My estate was built in 2006 so I would assume the lines are good enough.
    Maybe the reps mean that individual vsdl cabs are not "switched"on yet.
    Anyway thanks again phog,my search for basic info continues lol.
    Anyone know if Eircom reps were even briefed on the efibre situation before "rollout" last Monday?

Advertisement