Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

booterboy wrote: »
    Appreciate reply phog.Just totally confused lol.No problem waiting for efibre but as far as I am aware there is no other mini exchane on my side of town,also I live 150 metres from General hospital.
    My estate was built in 2006 so I would assume the lines are good enough.
    Maybe the reps mean that individual vsdl cabs are not "switched"on yet.
    Anyway thanks again phog,my search for basic info continues lol.
    Anyone know if Eircom reps were even briefed on the efibre situation before "rollout" last Monday?

At a guess I doubt Eircom sales reps can have any more info about eircom's network than any of the other operators. I think in the days of ADSL all got 28 days notice of an enabled exchange to allow for sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

why would they install a new cabinet in a estate half the houses are empty or unfinished :eek:

Cooline cobh

street view can't go into estate for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

Allow me to add 5 more VSDL cabinets spotted in Carrick-on-Shannon today.

Let's the pictures do the talking:)

Btw. I've seen Eircom crowds connecting the VSDL cabinet this morning at N4 road at Roscommon side of the bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

versager wrote: »
    Allow me to add 5 more VSDL cabinets spotted in Carrick-on-Shannon today.

Thanks...
    Did you add them to the map too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Hi quick question regarding adsl verus vdsl with existing poor cable from cabinet.

If eircom provided an adsl modem set for 24mb but with poor cabling between your house and cabinet meant the modem could only reach 6mb . That is about 3 quarters lose. If a VDSL modem is installed will it also lose 3 quarters of signal too?

• Advertisement

jackwogan wrote: »
    Hi quick question regarding adsl verus vdsl with existing poor cable from cabinet.

If eircom provided an adsl modem set for 24mb but with poor cabling between your house and cabinet meant the modem could only reach 6mb . That is about 3 quarters lose. If a VDSL modem is installed will it also lose 3 quarters of signal too?

Not really the thread for this but... "losses" are determined by how far you are from the exchange. ADSL is NOT a cabinet based technology.
    With VDSL it's determined by how far you are from the nearest cabinet.

bealtine wrote: »
    Thanks...
    Did you add them to the map too?

I did, indeed;)

I believe there are a few more out there, if I have time will try to get some of them tomorrow:P

versager wrote: »
    I did, indeed;)

I believe there are a few more out there, if I have time will try to get some of them tomorrow:P

Nice one and thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Not really the thread for this but... "losses" are determined by how far you are from the exchange. ADSL is NOT a cabinet based technology.
    With VDSL it's determined by how far you are from the nearest cabinet.

Sorry i dont understand , adsl is what eircom has been using for years! They have an adsl dslam in the cabints and now they are updating them to vdsl dslams, They are still using the same cable from the cabinet to home , so what i asked if the cabling is poor quality does the vdsl handle better than the adsl method

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

jackwogan wrote: »
    Sorry i dont understand , adsl is what eircom has been using for years! They have an adsl dslam in the cabints and now they are updating them to vdsl dslams, They are still using the same cable from the cabinet to home , so what i asked if the cabling is poor quality does the vdsl handle better than the adsl method

With adsl the dslams are in the exchange. With this upgrade it'll be vdsl between the cabinet and the home, with fibre backhaul to the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 hairyeggs

Lissivigeen on outskirts of Killarney, newly installed cabinet. Screengrab of old white cabinet from Streetview and photo of new cabinet - no numbering or identification on it that I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Added a cab outside the church off the old Blarney road in Cork.

2 more cabinets discovered while having a nice walk through Carrick-on-Shannon this morning. The actual cabinet on the road to Train station was probably the worst one to spot, since it's really very well hidden and it's located behind the combination of stonewall and fence inside the Eircom office area:pac:

Let's see the pics, shall we?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Found a new cabinet today right behind Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney, I tried to add it to the map but I'm not sure if it went up on it on not. Also saw the new lissivigeen cabinet also as directed to by hairyeggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

jd wrote: »
    With adsl the dslams are in the exchange. With this upgrade it'll be vdsl between the cabinet and the home, with fibre backhaul to the exchange.

Basically Eircom are doing it on the cheap. Absolutely pathetic upgrade. Im embarrassed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

Added another one in Glanmire - entrance to Marwood.

Basically Eircom are doing it on the cheap. Absolutely pathetic upgrade. Im embarrassed for them.

How have you reached this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

VDSL Cab installed Friday 24/05 round from me :)

Dundalk (Toberona) - Bellewsbridge Rd @ entrance to Riverwell Close/Dealgan House Nursing Home.

Location added to the map.

dscn0618vdsl.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

How have you reached this conclusion?

Because they are not installing anywhere nearly enough cabinets to provide good speeds for the vast majority of the population. Fibre to the home is what they should be doing.

When the reality of the actual speeds received is uncovered, there are going to be a lot of very unhappy people. The drop in speeds over a very small distance is incredible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CRM Ireland (and everyone else) this thread is to discuss mapping ONLY

If you want to discuss the quality of the product, Eircom etc., please do so on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056555985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

KN Networks working on a VDSL cab installation here today. Joy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lucutus wrote: »
    Spotted them just down from there at Kimmage Grove an hour ago. Deep joy.

Edit: Kimmage Grove now mapped.

Did you add it to the map? Thanks...

Did you add it to the map?
    I had it mapped already from the planning application so it just needs updating. TRE1_011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Did you add it to the map? Thanks...

Can't login to edit, I'm afraid.

Perhaps BeerNut can oblidge? I'll mention again on the thread once I see the cab in place, will also take a pic of the momentus occasion if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

Theres one at the ross road roundabout, and at the Cluain Charman estate, I wish they'd hurry up and hook them up. I want that 70mb broadband, with the 20up. They've been at my local cabinet about 5 times. C'mon Eircom

Perhaps BeerNut can oblidge? I'll mention again on the thread once I see the cab in place, will also take a pic of the momentus occasion if I can.
    Yep, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

phog wrote: »
    I think I added one earlier - Meelick, Co. Clare

I see the ESB were working on getting power to this cab today, at least two poles required. They'll never make a return on the piece of extended network. Can't see the power usage being huge for powering up the cab. Delighted to see progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Can anyone tell me is this a cabinet? Kilcolgan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Looks more like an ESB unit.

Advertisement