Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me is this a cabinet? Kilcolgan.

Most definitely not a fibre cab. As already mentioned more likely an electrical cab or sub station

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

The cabinet pictured on the glen avenue in cork is not the right one,there is one further up the road on the opposite side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ofcork wrote: »
    The cabinet pictured on the glen avenue in cork is not the right one,there is one further up the road on the opposite side.

good catch can you give us details of the one that is mapped and where it should be?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

On the map, a cabinet is marked as being enabled: Dundrum - DDM - Braemor Rd. (Milltown Dr. Opp No 1) DDM1001... but it doesn't look like the typical green ones (it's white/grey), and neither eircom nor vodafone can provision fibre broadband on the nearby roads. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

llatsni wrote: »
    On the map, a cabinet is marked as being enabled: Dundrum - DDM - Braemor Rd. (Milltown Dr. Opp No 1) DDM1001... but it doesn't look like the typical green ones (it's white/grey), and neither eircom nor vodafone can provision fibre broadband on the nearby roads. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Back in 2008 eircom installed a batch of Alcatel VDSL cabinets in Dundrum and Priory Park ONLY as this was a trial area. These are a larger grey unit. They will install some green ones in Dundrum and Priory Park later this year as well but will not replace the Alcatel Cabinets as far as is understood

The Alcatel ones were all installed before Google streetviewed the country starting early 2009 so they are generally visible on streetview.

Later on in 2011 eircom decided to source cabinets solely from Huawei ( the 'standard' green units popping up nationwide) We map both kinds but while we believe we have all the Alcatel units mapped already we are fully open for mapping business if anything else shows up in Dundrum and Priory Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Thanks Bealtine, very detailed response!

I take it that if I'm not already connected to these alcatel cabs, then I probably won't be... and it will be later in the year (when the additional huawei cabs are installed) that fibre will become available to me?

llatsni wrote: »
    Thanks Bealtine, very detailed response!

I take it that if I'm not already connected to these alcatel cabs, then I probably won't be... and it will be later in the year (when the additional huawei cabs are installed) that fibre will become available to me?

Pretty much, if you weren't informed then you are not in the trial area you'll have to wait..

Believe it or not eircom have not fully commissioned all the Dundrum cabinets yet despite their being in place for 5 years now. They are possibly no longer able to commission any Alcatels at this moment in time, only Huaweis and then rather slowly.

They belatedly commissioned some of them for the 'trial' starting in 2011 and none since the trial started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

K&N pulling yellow duct cable in Glounthaune in Cork near Fitzpatricks shop at lunchtime today

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

One more VSDL cabinet to be added near Carrick-on-Shannon. It's on the Roscommon side when leaving the town on R368 road near An Tobar.

Picture added, as usual:D

Btw. 2 Eircom vans spotted again at VSDL cabinet near the "counties dividing bridge". Seemed to be busy...

bealtine wrote: »
    good catch can you give us details of the one that is mapped and where it should be?

Thanks

The streetview is out of date for the area but the cab is opposite the church near a pole,the one on the map not sure what it is.

• Advertisement

The streetview is out of date for the area but the cab is opposite the church near a pole,the one on the map not sure what it is.

contrary to what some Cork ppl would like us to think:) That's like saying it's in Mombassa

What i meant is if you follow google maps for glen avenue cork you rotate opposite the church and that is the location of said cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Found another one 2.3km away from me in the strangest location as there isnt a lot of houses in its vicinity. No power box beside it however

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

anyone know how Enniscorthy is comin along?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Saw a cabinet in Briarhill Business Park in Galway today with Eircom and KN at it.

Aee Sierra doing anything with the ESB in relation to power supplies to fibre anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

BArra wrote: »
    K&N pulling yellow duct cable in Glounthaune in Cork near Fitzpatricks shop at lunchtime today

I saw that white van pulling yellow cable yesterday, I wasnt sure if it was K&N or not and I hadnt time to stop and bug them :) . Looked like the "cable" was like those rods you use for cleaning out drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

They had a sign up saying they were doing work on behalf of eircom.

That yellow cable is shielding for the fibre cables afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

That's right. Just saw them doing the same with the sub ducting along Clonkeen Road at Deansgrange there.

Cool thanks, didnt see their sign. I've seen one of the dsl cabs by the church carpark and I believe there is another one further down the road by fitzpatricks. They could be back soon enough so to start to blow the fibre through.

Saw this on glen avenue corkIMAG0026.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Dear Google,

FFS!!! Can you please keep your servers up for more than 5mins so I can sign in and map a few cabinets.

There's folk gagging for the info - I don't want to disappoint them...

Disgruntled User.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Saw this on glen avenue corkIMAG0026.jpg

That link's not correct :)

You didn't link the server : http://IMAG0026.jpg

syboit wrote: »
    Cool thanks, didnt see their sign. I've seen one of the dsl cabs by the church carpark and I believe there is another one further down the road by fitzpatricks. They could be back soon enough so to start to blow the fibre through.

Those lads were back again today and had time for a quick chat. The yellow cable/rods are used to feed through the ducts, they were then pulling through this orange ducting today. In that main "manhole" there seem'd to be 3-4 main ducts and looks like they ran rods through each one, I suppose which ever one comes up at the far end thats where the fibre duct then goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Looks like they are working at the top of the boreen hill in Enniscorthy. It looks like they are installing a vdsl cab there but I thought they had installed all the ones in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Brand spanking new cab here (last page) across from Clover Lawn on Skehard Road in Cork. Straddling the border between Hettyfield and Mahon exchanges, threw it into Hettyfield as no other cabs spotted in Mahon yet. They'll be combined into Mahon by the end of the year at any rate.

opposite_clover_lawn.jpg

Saw this on glen avenue cork across from the church

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

It seems to be slow, Eircom map says May/June, but when you put in a phone number it says July/December. Very annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Saw this on glen avenue cork across from the church

That traffic light box isn't looking too healthy! Lets hope these VDSL units are of a sturdy construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eggman99

bush wrote: »
    Looks like they are working at the top of the boreen hill in Enniscorthy. It looks like they are installing a vdsl cab there but I thought they had installed all the ones in Enniscorthy.

Impossible to get a date for the town

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    That traffic light box isn't looking too healthy! Lets hope these VDSL units are of a sturdy construction.

They look solid anyway hopefully i wont be ringing vf to find the bband is down coz someone mangled the cab!

Advertisement