Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

No i don't mean totally new cabs.

I mean old phone cabs that weren't down to be upgraded/get a VDSL cab.

Some didn't seem to have an information about when/if they'd get a VDSL cab. There were just blanks on the spreadsheet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ahhh, got me hopes up there for a second! there is no cabinet old/new near me at all, nearest one is about 1500-1800meters and that one is marked for fibre. Im not even sure would Eircom bother connecting me to it since im so far away when it goes live. Even if they did connect me it should be a bit faster than what I have right now which is 9meg with a line length of 3km to the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Gonzo wrote: »
    ahhh, got me hopes up there for a second! there is no cabinet old/new near me at all, nearest one is about 1500-1800meters and that one is marked for fibre. Im not even sure would Eircom bother connecting me to it since im so far away when it goes live. Even if they did connect me it should be a bit faster than what I have right now which is 9meg with a line length of 3km to the exchange.

Are you connected directly to the exchange?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah connected directly to the exchange, line length of almost 3km!

I presume when the fibre boxs are installed they may connect my line to one of those thats 1.5km away instead of leaving me connected at the exchange?
    (even if they did that and just connected me to that I would at least get speeds of up to 14 or 15 meg as my line length would nearly be halfed?)

When I put my number into eircoms line checker it says fibre is coming to my area Oct-Dec 2013, is that just a general message that everybody in the exchange receives or is it specific to lines within an exchange that will be upgraded to fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Finally eircom vans at Carrigtwohill in Co.Cork, they were starting work at the old cabinets at the ida industrial park by Stryker, and I saw two vans pull in by the old green cabinet by cul ard entrance on carrigane road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 clarke85

new vdsl cab in hollystown just outside hollystown golfcourse

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marko61

At last I spotted my first VDSL Cabinet in Kells Co. Meath at the top of Maudlin Street. I will check the town tomorrow for more and post photos.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

clarke85 wrote: »
    new vdsl cab in hollystown just outside hollystown golfcourse

Hope you mapped it? If so thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

Vdsl cab now installed at ida entrance in carrigtwohill, co.cork

Installed today

EDIT: i have mapped it there too

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tomt730

I can see from the Eircom map that efibre should be in the area of Clonmel within the end of this month.... Does this seem likely? I have noticed some UPC vans driving around also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

Hi,
    I've been taking a look at the Eircom Coverage map and the rollout spreadsheet, and there seems to be a bit of an inconsistency between the two in my area (Caherdavin). The coverage map on the eircom site says that eFibre will be rolled out to the whole area around me by the end of 2013. However, the spreadsheet says that there are 26 planned VDSL cabinets in my area, of which ALL have been commissioned already. The 26 cabinets cover only approx 25% of the area that is shown on the Eircom coverage map.
    So my question is, Are Eircom eventually going to cover ALL of the area (by the end of 2013), or is the Eircom coverage map simply marketing blurb?
    Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I see Tullamore has now gone from July-sept 13 to Launching 2014... Thats a big jump! It could be anytime up to December 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 marko61

Same here in Kells. eFibre was due for launch July-Dec 2013 now showing 2014.
    Cabinets are been installed in the town. I mapped 3 so far at top of Maudlin St.,Kells Business Park and Gardenrath Road so hopefully before the end of the year but shouldn't really be surprised its been pushed back with Eircom running the show:mad:

meelick wrote: »
    Hi,

So my question is, Are Eircom eventually going to cover ALL of the area (by the end of 2013), or is the Eircom coverage map simply marketing blurb?
    Dave.

This has been covered lots already, an active area means that at least 40% of the cabinets are live in that area, that leaves 60% of the cabinets "not working" as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

That's really annoying, 5 days before the rumored launch of the July-Sept , Wicklow has also been pushed back to "November", which I'll believe when it happens. It'll go into 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

bealtine wrote: »
    This has been covered lots already, an active area means that at least 40% of the cabinets are live in that area, that leaves 60% of the cabinets "not working" as yet

Yes, I agree that that's what they consider active. I get that much.

But my question relates more to when Eircom consider themselves "finished" in an area. They've done all the 26 planned cabinets as listed in the spreadsheet, and they're all live, I believe, but those cabinets are only covering the small portion of the area nearest the city. How do we find out if they plan to increase the number of cabinets in a particular area, or is the spreadsheet the definitive list? If it is the definitive list, then I'm shagged. :)

Dave.

meelick wrote: »
    If it is the definitive list, then I'm shagged. :)

Dave.

I imagine that some extra cabs will show up in certain areas but in all likelihood that won't happen for some time yet, certainly not this round of installations.
    It might happen some time in the future...anyway the only people who really know the answer to your question are the network planners in eircom:(

So yeah I think you are "shagged" for now...sorry

Lots of cabs have been spotted around the Whitehall exchange.

I'd ask people in the following areas Clontarf and Santry, then later Phibsborough and Summerhill, to keep an eye out for cabs and get them mapped.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

BArra wrote: »
    Vdsl cab now installed at ida entrance in carrigtwohill, co.cork

Installed today

EDIT: i have mapped it there too
    Just seen on the Eircom Map that Carrigtwohill has been moved to a December go live. It was originally up as October - December.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

bealtine wrote: »
    Lots of cabs have been spotted around the Whitehall exchange.

I'd ask people in the following areas Clontarf and Santry, then later Phibsborough and Summerhill, to keep an eye out for cabs and get them mapped.

Thanks guys!

summerhill / north main and customs house have the yellow markings for where the cabs will go but no sign of PP on the existing ones or cables being laid to them yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

My area has been pushed back to November now. Another 2 months on this shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

If you have it running your a lucky duck! In Rathdrum, Wicklow it's not on anyones map/list or anything! Rathnew and Arklow are set up but for us we barely have anything close to reliable broadband here.

Still I suppose 5mb down the phone line (on a good day) is better than nothing! 3G is also really bad here too... Grrrr..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

god's toy wrote: »
    Still I suppose 5mb down the phone line (on a good day) is better than nothing! 3G is also really bad here too... Grrrr..

Looking at 1792k down here (Dunsany) today, after the rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tarakino

checking the eircom map now, all areas turned to UNDEFINED including the Live ones!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Tweaky wrote: »
    Just seen on the Eircom Map that Carrigtwohill has been moved to a December go live. It was originally up as October - December.

Glanmire has been pushed back aswell. I'm connected to a little island cabinet and its now saying its ready. From that eircom spreedsheet a while back, little island exchange had 11 cabs, but only 1 site has had a vdsl cab put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

VSDL Cab installed at Maryville Carrigtwohill. Not far from entrance to GAA pitch.

Interestingly it is across the road from the existing Cab. Was expecting them to be next to each other. Have added to map also. Will keep any eye out for more in the area over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Tweaky wrote: »
    VSDL Cab installed at Maryville Carrigtwohill. Not far from entrance to GAA pitch.

Interestingly it is across the road from the existing Cab. Was expecting them to be next to each other. Have added to map also. Will keep any eye out for more in the area over the next few days.

They can be 100m or more apart. Probably more convenient for power accross the road or a space restriction at the old cab.

guys

Could those who are still active 'adopt an exchange' over the next few weeks and clean up the markers/descriptions/icons, some are a bit all over the place and we need checking for duplicates as well.

Also please never convert a marker to plain text if you are doing a cleanup.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

There's a new cab at the entrance to Beach Park in Laytown. Not 100% sure its a VDSL one as it doesn't have the big hinge at one side. It has the code bsz1 001

Can anyone confirm?

Pics attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

There's a new cab at the entrance to Beach Park in Laytown. Not 100% sure its a VDSL one as it doesn't have the big hinge at one side. It has the code bsz1 001

Can anyone confirm?

Pics attached

Those are not VDSL cabinets, there are pics of all cabinets in first page.

Advertisement