Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi guys, Monasterevin is listed as Q4 2014 for efibre,when should we start seeing cabinets?

not a question for this thread but essentially we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi guys, Monasterevin is listed as Q4 2014 for efibre,when should we start seeing cabinets?

Just to give you an idea, Ballinasloe was listed for Dec 13.
    KN started pulling subduct on July 1st.
    Fibre insertion in the middle of August.
    First cab landed 22nd September.
    Next cab didn't appear 'till the middle of Oct.

It's been pushed back to Feb now but to day we have 9 cabs in or started and 7 remaining. Seems to be a push on so maybe we'll get it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Siberius

Added a cabinet in Sallins:
    Waterways at the corner of the green area behind Supervalu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Morf wrote: »
    Few new ones in Carlow Town.

Will have a scout about the town one day soon-ish.

Would you be able to tell me where? ;)
    I live in Carlow and I'd be interested to know.
    The only 2 near me are the ones at the GAA and the ones at the entrance to Dunne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Would you be able to tell me where? ;)
    I live in Carlow and I'd be interested to know.
    The only 2 near me are the ones at the GAA and the ones at the entrance to Dunne's.

I've spotted one beside Abrakebabara and at Shamrock Sq (both cabs here are new and grey). There was works at Dominos which I think was hooking up the one in front of the castle too.

I have the list and haven't found the time/energy to look for all the other ones.

• Advertisement

I've spotted one beside Abrakebabara and at Shamrock Sq (both cabs here are new and grey). There was works at Dominos which I think was hooking up the one in front of the castle too.

I have the list and haven't found the time/energy to look for all the other ones.

The new fibre cabs are all green. The grey ones are standard copper cabinets. If they're new then they may have just upgraded/replaced the old copper cabs.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The new fibre cabs are all green. The grey ones are standard copper cabinets. If they're new then they may have just upgraded/replaced the old copper cabs.

Both the new standard cab and new VDSL cab are grey. The first grey VDSL cab I'd seen.

I'd checked the area before and couldn't find any cab at all. Although it might be a request of the town council for them to stand out less.

I'll be up that way on Wednesday and I'll take a photo to show you.

Both the new standard cab and new VDSL cab are grey. The first grey VDSL cab I'd seen.

I'd checked the area before and couldn't find any cab at all. Although it might be a request of the town council for them to stand out less.

I'll be up that way on Wednesday and I'll take a photo to show you.

With the exception of the few that were used in the pilot areas, the Huawei VDSL cabs being rolled out are all green.

These are the 2 side by side. Grey copper cab on the right.....

279858.jpg

Stick up a photo when you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

disregard..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just spotted one in Ballybrack where ive heard reports of 6-8 eircom vans driving around the area all day

• Advertisement

2upztog.jpg

Shamrock Square, Carlow Town.

I don't think I've marked it on the map but plan to clean up all the unmarked ones around the town soonish.

2upztog.jpg

Shamrock Square, Carlow Town.

I don't think I've marked it on the map but plan to clean up all the unmarked ones around the town soonish.

Thanks. I stand corrected. :)
    First I've seen of that colour.

Was it painted?

Was it painted?

Interesting...must be a new batch of cabinets.

Was it painted?

It's rumored that some Orange ones will also be deployed to appease some sections of the general populace ;)

Was it painted?

I didn't check to be honest although it occurred to check after I'd taken the photo.

I'll check at some point. Two green cabs would really stand out in the area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I didn't check to be honest although it occurred to check after I'd taken the photo.

I'll check at some point. Two green cabs would really stand out in the area though.
    Local planning conditions perhaps? The grey is weird, this changes everything man...

TheChizler wrote: »
    Local planning conditions perhaps? The grey is weird, this changes everything man...

It is right beside a "landmark" development and a sculpture thing so that may well be the case.

TheChizler wrote: »

Or does it?

Another grey VDSL cab on College St., Carlow Town.

Mapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

They obviously ran out of green paint & got 20 gallons of grey stuff at a car boot sale.
    Hopefully the components inside aren't from the same boot sale :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Just wondering - Im from Carndonagh, Co. Donegal. We have the ordinary green cabinets here, but in the last few weeks, they've had another box placed on top of the already existing cabinet ( its about a foot tall, and runs the full length of the cabinet and it has a yellow sticker on it ) also, in the last few weeks, there was a company looked like it was pulling cables through the already existing manholes near these cabinets - there was a sign saying they were working on behalf of Eircom, but they werent driving eircom vans. Would these be likely installing the new fibre cables do you think ? Also, are the extensions on the cabinets likely to be the new fibre cabinets - given that its Donegal, and mightn't need the full size ones ?

2 more added in Ballinasloe......

Hymany Park (BSE1-005)
    281557.jpg

Cúil Na Canálacht (BSE1-006)
    281556.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

davydoc wrote: »
    there was a sign saying they were working on behalf of Eircom, but they werent driving eircom vans. Would these be likely installing the new fibre cables
    Sounds like it. The installation is being done by KN Networks, not Eircom.
    Also, are the extensions on the cabinets likely to be the new fibre cabinets
    I was wondering this too, from a mapping perspective: I have a couple of POTS cabs on my patch which had planning notices but now instead of getting VDSL cabs have merely sprouted new foreheads. Do these count as a cabinet for mapping purposes, anyone?

BeerNut wrote: »

I was wondering this too, from a mapping perspective: I have a couple of POTS cabs on my patch which had planning notices but now instead of getting VDSL cabs have merely sprouted new foreheads. Do these count as a cabinet for mapping purposes, anyone?

Of course they count, the mapping exercise is to identify VDSL areas, these can be cabinets with new "hats" or standard cabinets...

I guess the new "hat" cabinets will eventually sprout new VDSL cabinets too

Another grey VDSL cab on College St., Carlow Town.

Mapped.

NOT painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Just a follow up on my earlier post. Was out a walk this morning and Eircom were out working at the cabinet I wrote about above. I enquired what they were doing, and was told they were pulling the cables through for the fibre broadband. I asked when it would be available and was told within a month. I said how did I get it ( as an existing Eircom customer) and was told within a couple of weeks you'll see a couple of guys working at this cabinet, when you see them, give them you phone number and they can do it there, otherwise, if you miss them ring a freephone number 901 something, and they will connect you. So basically, the cabs with the new forehead are indeed for the fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just wondering - Im from Carndonagh, Co. Donegal. We have the ordinary green cabinets here, but in the last few weeks, they've had another box placed on top of the already existing cabinet ( its about a foot tall, and runs the full length of the cabinet and it has a yellow sticker on it ) also, in the last few weeks, there was a company looked like it was pulling cables through the already existing manholes near these cabinets - there was a sign saying they were working on behalf of Eircom, but they werent driving eircom vans. Would these be likely installing the new fibre cables do you think ? Also, are the extensions on the cabinets likely to be the new fibre cabinets - given that its Donegal, and mightn't need the full size ones ?
    Numbers of cables inside a cabinet wouldn't really vary due to it being Donegal or Dublin. A smaller town would have fewer cabinets, but the amount of wires inside it needn't be fewer. Indeed, the green part on top is apparently only fitted to cabinets which are nearly full and need the extra space to fit the cross connect points for the nearby DSLAM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just a follow up on my earlier post. Was out a walk this morning and Eircom were out working at the cabinet I wrote about above. I enquired what they were doing, and was told they were pulling the cables through for the fibre broadband. I asked when it would be available and was told within a month. I said how did I get it ( as an existing Eircom customer) and was told within a couple of weeks you'll see a couple of guys working at this cabinet, when you see them, give them you phone number and they can do it there, otherwise, if you miss them ring a freephone number 901 something, and they will connect you. So basically, the cabs with the new forehead are indeed for the fibre.
    I think the guy was pulling your leg. The extra section on top is a splitter/ joining area for the fibre lines. Every copper cabinet must have a separate stand alone VDSL cabinet. To get connected you have to be given an install date by eircom sales, an engineer calls to your house and installs a new eircom socket (MTU). He then goes to your phone line in the cabinet disconnects it and reconnects to the VDSL cabinet. You then have copper line from your house to the cabinet but from the cabinet you will now have fibre right back to the exchange (fttc)

Advertisement