Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

2 new cabs in Dundalk beside fas. Strangely both broadband cabs are within 20 metres of each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Mgit wrote: »
    2 new cabs in Dundalk beside fas. Strangely both broadband cabs are within 20 metres of each other.

There's the very same near me.
    My guess is that it's to service a larger area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There's the very same near me.
    My guess is that it's to service a larger area.

Yes. A copper cab can have up to 600 lines on it.
    1 fibre cab can only handle 192 connections.
    Eircom will know how many of the 600 lines currently carry standard broadband and be able to gauge the potential fibre demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Yes. A copper cab can have up to 600 lines on it.
    1 fibre cab can only handle 192 connections.
    Eircom will know how many of the 600 lines currently carry standard broadband and be able to gauge the potential fibre demand.

I've seen several instances of an extra copper cab and two new VDSL cabs. 2 of each that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Went to Eircom's coverage map today and delighted to see Ballyowen in Lucan is now active. Rang them to see how long until the estate is ready to go - December 2014 - FFS :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

New cabinet went up yesterday in Ard Sionnach Estate in Cork. Its 100 or so metres inside the the Blarney Road entrance. Hope it works for the entire estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Added 3 new cabs, 2 in dundalk beside fas. 1 in castlebar in aglish estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

bealtine wrote: »
    Yeah needs looking at...
    Can we (I) go ahead and trim away cabs which have clearly already been copied to the main map? Don't want to tread on any active maintainers' toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I was walking to the shop and I saw a few people at the eircom man holes with yellow cable . I'm in Bailieborough so it must mean fibre will be arriving soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Logged a new VDSL cabinet in Celbridge, near the 5 a side football pitch on the way into Celbridge. Didn't see any sticker yet. Located next to Copper Cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

royan wrote: »
    Can we (I) go ahead and trim away cabs which have clearly already been copied to the main map? Don't want to tread on any active maintainers' toes.

Well the problem with that is people will start adding duplicates:)
    Let me check with the maintainer...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Giuseppe90

VDSL cab just popped up today beside the copper cab in Griffin Rath Hall Maynooth

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fibre cabinet installed Marion Terrace, Tramore, Co. Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

but why arent they planting them in eyrcourt co galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well they ran out of seeds and there's no more room in the nurseries

Eyrecourt hasn't even got standard DSL yet, never mind fibre.
    It didn't even make it to the rollout extension list to be done by 2016.
    http://pressroom.eircom.net/images/uploads/4453_Eircom%20Map%20Page%20FA4.pdf

Don't know why it's been left behind really. There are smaller communities with broadband. Probably something to do with loosing the bid for the NBS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Spotted another fibre cabinet pop up in Tramore.

Summerhill Roundabout there by the Tesco. The nearest co-ordinates are;
    52.165154,-7.162156

If you use Street View you will see the old cabinet is on the right side of the road in the green area.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not sure what the cab in your pic is, but it's not unusual for them to install a copper cab in preparation for vdsl.

Yep, that seems to have been the case. There's a VDSL cab across the road from the copper cab. It's missing the yellow activation sticker though.

Another VDSL cab has popped up just outside the Inse bay estate. It has the yellow activation sticker. How long after that appears do they usually become available for use?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

randomperson12, I've deleted a number of your posts and I've cleaned up parts of this thread,

Please either stay on topic or don't post in this thread, if you continue to post nonsense then I'll be handing out warnings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

3 new cabinets installed this month in south Clondalkin, Dublin.
    (Newlands Cross NWL exchange)
    I've added these to the map as per post #1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

randomperson12 is taking a 3 month rest from the Broadband forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Could anyone look at Nenagh, Tipperary? Literally 4 cabs for a town of 10,000. Thurles is a similar sized town near, and they have 15 cabinets! Whats going on!?

It means that on average, you will be ~ 1km from a cab. Effectively giving a lot of people 25 MBps. (Which my family are getting). It just seems like false advertising, when a very small proportion of people will get anywhere near 70MBps

Perhaps they are planning more cabs?

Could anyone look at Nenagh, Tipperary? Literally 4 cabs for a town of 10,000. Thurles is a similar sized town near, and they have 15 cabinets! Whats going on!?

It means that on average, you will be ~ 1km from a cab. Effectively giving a lot of people 25 MBps. (Which my family are getting). It just seems like false advertising, when a very small proportion of people will get anywhere near 70MBps

Perhaps they are planning more cabs?

Probably a case of the cabs are in areas where fibre will be live only and they will eventually replace / upgrade others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eyrecourt hasn't even got standard DSL yet, never mind fibre.
    It didn't even make it to the rollout extension list to be done by 2016.
    http://pressroom.eircom.net/images/uploads/4453_Eircom%20Map%20Page%20FA4.pdf

Don't know why it's been left behind really. There are smaller communities with broadband. Probably something to do with loosing the bid for the NBS.

I read online the Irish government will announce a rollout of improved broadband to those areas not serviced by the 2016 Eircom plan.

I believe this announcement will come early 2014. Rollout planned sometime early 2015.

The Eircom plan is expected to be finished by the end of Dec 2016.

Eircom, is hoping 70 per cent of Irish homes and businesses can avail of fibre, by then. If successful, it will be an tremendous achievement?

Irish Government helps out the remaining 30 per cent and, Eircom sticks to the 2016 plan in full, ADSL broadband could be a thing of the past, that hardly anyone uses anymore to go online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Could anyone look at Nenagh, Tipperary? Literally 4 cabs for a town of 10,000.
    That's 4 cabs found by boardsies. I think if you look around, you'll find substantially more.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

While reviewing earlier posts, I came across mention of a spreadsheet detailing the proposed cabinet sites. I take it that there is no link to this document.
    Could some kind soul please PM me a copy?
    Copy received. Thanks!

I read online the Irish government will announce a rollout of improved broadband to those areas not serviced by the 2016 Eircom plan.

I believe this announcement will come early 2014. Rollout planned sometime early 2015.

The Eircom plan is expected to be finished by the end of Dec 2016.

Eircom, is hoping 70 per cent of Irish homes and businesses can avail of fibre, by then. If successful, it will be an tremendous achievement?

Irish Government helps out the remaining 30 per cent and, Eircom sticks to the 2016 plan in full, ADSL broadband could be a thing of the past, that hardly anyone uses anymore to go online.

I love your enthusiasm but the Irish government have announced a lot of broadband roll-outs and plans in the last 5-6 years. With the exception of the half-arsed NBS that 3 were awarded, nothing has happened. Most of those plans were announced at a time when there was plenty of money around so the chances of it happening now are even more remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I love your enthusiasm but the Irish government have announced a lot of broadband roll-outs and plans in the last 5-6 years. With the exception of the half-arsed NBS that 3 were awarded, nothing has happened. Most of those plans were announced at a time when there was plenty of money around so the chances of it happening now are even more remote.

I'm more optimistic about the Eircom 2016 plan been achieved. Rather or not it'll will be done by then, i couldn't answer that, but the plan calls for Eircom to upgrade already existing exchanges. Most of them are connected still to ASDL1 or ASDL2. The good thing is though the extended rollout will see villages and more small towns been upgraded to fibre.

Government involvement is slightly more complicated. The hope is they'll spend some of the money they got from the Spectrum/mobile auctions last year.

800 million they received. There shouldn't be excuses anymore from the Irish government.

I can see least 20 per cent of the 30 per cent been done before 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

gahsux wrote: »
    While reviewing earlier posts, I came across mention of a spreadsheet detailing the proposed cabinet sites. I take it that there is no link to this document.
    Could some kind soul please PM me a copy?
    Copy received. Thanks!

Could you pm me that spreadsheet too please?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jpearse1891

Could I get pm spreadsheet please?

Thanks!

Advertisement