Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Hey guys, any idea how to find out what exchange/cabinet your house is fed from?
    I'm in Douglas in Cork and most of the areas been fibre enabled since early 2013, and I'm still waiting to find out when our estate will come online.
    From looking at the cabinet map, we're less than 1000m from 2 enabled cabinets.

Cheers for the help

me too, the 3 remaining cabinets in douglas have been started 2 near mount oval and the third near curragh woods (base, no green box yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

ClonNGB wrote: »
    DermotH, it looks like Clonakilty has been pushed out another three months :mad:. A guy in Eircom told me it would be 'mid year'. The orange fibre cables are in fact already laid in the ducts around the town. So the only work should be in the exchange (apart from extra cabinets if they put them in). The guy told me most of the town will be connected directly to the exchange, which means we probably won't get the full benefit of fibre. Apparently they have a cabinet for the Waterfront Developent, but since that is a dead duck, who knows what is going to happen. Since we know longer have a local TD, I can see Clon pushed out even further. I am hoping Clon could be ripe for ESB/Vodafone FTTB since we don't have UPC and with Eircom ignoring us, it could be a perfect one for the FTTB .

Thanks for the info. We have Jim Daly as a TD so could follow up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

3 new cabs for littleisland Cork installed. led004,led005 & led007

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dermoth wrote: »
    I'm not sure what a TD could do, eircom being a fully private company.
    syboit wrote: »
    3 new cabs for littleisland Cork installed. led004,led005 & led007
    Did you map these?

Edit: I see that you did, thank you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Spotted a large truck type thing in Monasterevin today with USSR logo on it with text that read Underground Server Repair or something along the lines [was driving by so cant be 100%]
    Just wondering are these guys contracted for efibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Dcully wrote: »
    Spotted a large truck type thing in Monasterevin today with USSR logo on it with text that read Underground Server Repair or something along the lines [was driving by so cant be 100%]

KN Networks as far as I know doing most work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Dcully wrote: »

It could be for the water meters either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

haha ill give yas a laugh, it was there again this morning so i slowed down to read properly and it was Under Surface Sewer Repair

ffs i got that badly wrong lol.

Yeah the KN vans are around a lot too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

How long before the launch of eFibre in an area is it normal to expect to see some of these exchange boxes going up?

Castleisland is due to get this Fibre broadband in March but I don't see any locations on the map listed in the OP in this thread

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

How would one go about finding their cabinet in a rural setting? I've followed the phone line but eventually it just disappears underground :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Dermoth wrote: »

True, I forgot him :D. No harm if he gets a call to push this along. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

How would one go about finding their cabinet in a rural setting? I've followed the phone line but eventually it just disappears underground :/

Check the NGA Deployment Plan.xls file. It has a full list of cabinets due to be upgraded, and see which one is nearest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭anotherposter

the slow speeds & high latency is caused by a break in the fibre link running under the irish sea.

the cable belongs to cable & wireless who are attempting to repair it this week.

its not an eircom fault. vodafone and and other isp that were using cable & wireless's optical cable have now routed their traffic through the lines eircom uses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Check the NGA Deployment Plan.xls file. It has a full list of cabinets due to be upgraded, and see which one is nearest you.

Hmm, I don't think it will be as simple. All of the NGA cabinets on that worksheet are based in Longford Town itself. The house would be about 6/7km from the closest one by road but we're still in the green zone for fibre and the phone line checker says it's in the area but our cabinet hasn't been enabled yet :confused:

I did find a proposed cabinet in our local village that's 3km away. Would they move us over to that cabinet when it's commissioned - is that why we can't get it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Spotted a couple of cabinets in Tramore, Co.Waterford today.

Foundation is down beside the old copepr cabinets in both the top of Somerville Housing Estate and in the green area outside Daybreak in Riverstown. The foundation is down and the cables are there.

Also outside Clairnwood the new Fibre box has been placed beside an old copper box too. Looks lovely I must say!

I don't get why the rollout date has been pushed back to March now though. Was origninally December, then February now March. Just wondering seeing most of the cabinets are nearly ready now.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

New cab (mapped) in Wicklow Town. Only started Monday and cabinet installed with yellow sticker today.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Added 4 cabinets to the map in Fermoy, Co.Cork, will add more as I see them.

Mods - feel free to move this question if it's not in the right place. I live in Rathcormac, Co.Cork and we are due to be upgraded to fibre in June. My local exchange according to the eFibre map on the Eircom site is Castlelyons. I'm over 4km from Castlelyons so I'm wondering if it will be possible to supply fibre to my area at all as we are well over the 1500m limit for fibre? Does anyone know if there's an 'extended reach' system for fibre as there is for current generation broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

IT-Guy wrote: »

Mods - feel free to move this question if it's not in the right place. I live in Rathcormac, Co.Cork and we are due to be upgraded to fibre in June. My local exchange according to the eFibre map on the Eircom site is Castlelyons. I'm over 4km from Castlelyons so I'm wondering if it will be possible to supply fibre to my area at all as we are well over the 1500m limit for fibre? Does anyone know if there's an 'extended reach' system for fibre as there is for current generation broadband?

How far are you from the cabinet? Distance from the exchange doesn't matter if you're connected to a cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

IT-Guy wrote: »

Fibre extended reach will only stretch it out to 2000m.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

gordonnet wrote: »
    me too, the 3 remaining cabinets in douglas have been started 2 near mount oval and the third near curragh woods (base, no green box yet)

cabinet in place at curragh woods DGS 019

how long before its active ?

added to map - 19/01/2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

And still the official Eircom response is that eFibre is only possible under 150M from a cabinet. Extraordinary.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/88563405

From this thread... http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057123908/2

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jasondunne1988

Quick question that has possibly been answered already but here we go......

The Exchange i am on is eFibre ready and the cabinet is in place well before Xmas, the Eircom area map says eFibre is available but anytime i check online or ring there sales team they tell me it is not available in my area.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get connected once they install the cabinet?

I live in the Donaghmede area which i am nearly 100% is on the Belcamp Exchange and from checking the Cabinet Map all the cabinets on the Belcamp Exchange are finished.

Cheers

Quick question that has possibly been answered already but here we go......

The Exchange i am on is eFibre ready and the cabinet is in place well before Xmas, the Eircom area map says eFibre is available but anytime i check online or ring there sales team they tell me it is not available in my area.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get connected once they install the cabinet?

I live in the Donaghmede area which i am nearly 100% is on the Belcamp Exchange and from checking the Cabinet Map all the cabinets on the Belcamp Exchange are finished.

Cheers

Probably not the right thread of these q's. But time to cabinet install to full comission can take upto a few months, no real set time on this. Its around here some-where, but if you are more than 1000m away from the cabinet then you won't get efibre. You should map it out in google earth and check the distance from cab to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jasondunne1988

Cheers Syboit

I am not 100% sure what cabinet i am but there is 3 in my area and the furthest away is 750m so it would be available to me, will keep and eye out for any further work on them cabinets

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martiin

Does anybody know when efibre will be available in Mallow on main street and surrounding streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kubiak

There is few cabinets in Kenmare Co. Kerry (marked 2 so far), i will post a picture of a weird one later as i am not sure is it fibre, however they are up since summer, last i checked date was set between july-dec/2014 and now kenmare disappeared from official eircom map of development. Still see KN vans every now and then in town. Don't know what to think about that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Spotted two in Bettystown - one at the end of the Eastham Road on the Pilltown side and the other at the entrance to Castlemartin Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

A cab has landed in Enniskerry, across from the Powerscourt Arms - added to map. Seems likely there's at least one more around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

As a matter of interest what colour is the trunking they put down for fibre cable because I'm sure some places will need it ?
    I saw a company putting down trunking on the outskirts of Killarney towards Killorglan today

• Advertisement

amdaley28 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what colour is the trunking they put down for fibre cable because I'm sure some places will need it ?
    I saw a company putting down trunking on the outskirts of Killarney towards Killorglan today

In Cork, I've seen them put in orange ducting. The fibre is then blown through it later on.

Advertisement