Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

sorry not actually ballygarrett but heading down that direction, poulshone I think, see attached image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

logic wrote: »
    sorry not actually ballygarrett but heading down that direction, poulshone I think, see attached image

Yeah Poulshone. I wonder what way that's working, the Courtown Harbour exchange is due to go live on the same date but none of the cabinets in Riverchapel or Ardamine, seems to be a bit topsy turvy.

they said they were working from the outwards in but it didn't look like when they were putting in the cabinets,

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

Dear Neighbours complain here please www. boards.ie/ttfthread/2057311355/1#post92685962
    Eircom should know more details.

BTW Logic Marhey looks like statistics were to optimistic: not one of us- NON OF US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

jowkon wrote: »
    Connected to exchange. You need to wait to the end of next year or ESB
    kleefarr wrote: »
    What??

Ah, you must be talking about ESB bringing High Speed to people via the Electric cables?? :D

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=4074

Dear Neighbours complain here please www. boards.ie/ttfthread/2057311355/1#post92685962
    Eircom should know more details.

Complain about what though? We have never been given anything other than notional launch dates so there is no basis for complaint.

Ah, you must be talking about ESB bringing High Speed to people via the Electric cables?? :D

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=4074

Actually, with this on the cards and the fibre connects via the Eircom network looking to take so long, isn't it just a waste of time Eircom doing it?
    How long have the Powerline Network adapters been going?
    I'm surprised nobody had thought of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Actually, with this on the cards and the fibre connects via the Eircom network looking to take so long, isn't it just a waste of time Eircom doing it?
    How long have the Powerline Network adapters been going?
    I'm surprised nobody had thought of it before.

They only work within the house, your internet connection itself can't be fed over mains lines, it was tried and was a total failure.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Complain about what though? We have never been given anything other than notional launch dates so there is no basis for complaint.

Well...you don't need to complain, you can share your enthusiasm or excitement and there is the tread for it for our area.

• Advertisement

Well...you don't need to complain, you can share your enthusiasm or excitement and there is the tread for it for our area.

You'll have to point me towards it, I don't know any thread on the Wexford forum for Broadband or efibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LoudMouth

Does anybody know if the Allenwood, Kildare cabinet is enabled? I know two non-techie people who tell me they are now on eFibre from Allenwood, both have switched from other providers. But Eircom have told me that the cabinet is not enabled yet. So I'm a bit confused.

Also, is it possible that two housing estates, within 200 metres of each other, with the cabinet in the middle, that one estate won't be able to get fibre, being told their connections come from another exchange that's not connected to the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

LoudMouth wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the Allenwood, Kildare cabinet is enabled? I know two non-techie people who tell me they are now on eFibre from Allenwood, both have switched from other providers. But Eircom have told me that the cabinet is not enabled yet. So I'm a bit confused.

Also, is it possible that two housing estates, within 200 metres of each other, with the cabinet in the middle, that one estate won't be able to get fibre, being told their connections come from another exchange that's not connected to the cabinet?

The map at fibrerollout.ie would suggest there are two cabinets close enough to each other, one is "live" and the other "planned". The "live" cab is connected to Robertstown Exchange. You may be connected via the "planned" cab, which is connected to the Allenwood Exchange, which is marked for Spring 2015.

This arrangement looks stupid and inefficient to me considering the "live" cab is further from the Robertstown Exchange than the Allenwood Exchange by a huge margin.

Eircom are saying that neither cabinet is enabled, why is why the map is confusing. The wholesale map says neither are enabled, also conflicting. Thanks for your reply.

Do these cabinets have ADSL2 in them as well? which would make a lot of sense for rural cabinets, especially where a lot of the subscribers would be further than 2.5km from the cabinet.. I would hate to think that somebody 4 or 5 kilometres from the cabinet couldn't get any BB from it, especially if they have waited years for ADSL which would have given them 5 or 10 megs, but nothing on vDSL.

The map at fibrerollout.ie would suggest there are two cabinets close enough to each other, one is "live" and the other "planned". The "live" cab is connected to Robertstown Exchange. You may be connected via the "planned" cab, which is connected to the Allenwood Exchange, which is marked for Spring 2015.

This arrangement looks stupid and inefficient to me considering the "live" cab is further from the Robertstown Exchange than the Allenwood Exchange by a huge margin.

Its based on existing kit, so if that CCP Cab was built with lines serving that exchange in the 70's or 80's thats how its upgraded now. Distance isnt the only factor either. Theres planning permission and the ease of running fibre in the existing ducting. Also one cab may have 150 lines provisioned through it and the other only 50 (you cant tell by the number of homes that are nearby).

Update(New post as I was typing):
    LoudMouth wrote: »
    Do these cabinets have ADSL2 in them as well? which would make a lot of sense for rural cabinets, especially where a lot of the subscribers would be further than 2.5km from the cabinet.. I would hate to think that somebody 4 or 5 kilometres from the cabinet couldn't get any BB from it, especially if they have waited years for ADSL which would have given them 5 or 10 megs, but nothing on vDSL.

Nope. Though they could in future. There's some regulatory issues about supplying ADSL from them as they couldnt be LLU. Its something they could seek permission to do later on but I've seen no mention in any of the Comreg publications.

Is so infuriating knowing how close I am to a live cab and being told I can not get it. :(

Ouch, Kleefarr, that must hurt!

Thanks Ed, I'm not overly fond of ComReg, I don't think they are very strong or particularly knowledgeable, they haven't done us any favours, but they certainly know how to look after the Telcos!

I've sent them an email asking for clarification about ADSL in the vDSl cabs, but it will take quite a while before I get my reply. It would be such a missed opportunity for Eircom not to supply ADSL from these cabs. We have waited years to be serviced and now that we finally have fibre in the village it seems crazy not to supply ADSL to the 1,200 odd houses outside of the 2.5km magic vDSL circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

kleefarr wrote:
    Is so infuriating knowing how close I am to a live cab and being told I can not get it. 

Welcome to the club.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Welcome to the club.

Any idea when "The Club" will be included?

CRT1_011 in riverchapel wood is expected to go live now on the 3/12/2014

Bet ya beachside will be last :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

See ESB bringing power to cabinet in Dromiskin yesterday, cabinet in since August so hopefully it will be live soon. The rest of exchange went live in October so fingers crossed not long now.

YES! I'm in for Christmas

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

raytaxi wrote: »
    See ESB bringing power to cabinet in Dromiskin yesterday, cabinet in since August so hopefully it will be live soon. The rest of exchange went live in October so fingers crossed not long now.

The cabinet outside my building was installed in April, and still no fibre. I assume they are updating the wholesale website as no cabs are showing on it now at all for me.

Cannot see any logical pattern to Eircom rollout in Riverchapel. Judging by Eircom's own map, the nearest live cabinet to Courtown CRT 11 when it goes live would be in Poulshone. I have no idea what way Eircom's system is laid out but I imagine it would follow the road network and as there is no overhead wiring in Riverchapel Wood then the nearest cabinet to the road network would be CRT 008. Maybe someone who knows would enlighten us.

@logic yours should be next/soon. Esb is connected since a while

I can't understand eircoms layout plan either, they have ballymoney on the map that is expected to go live on the 26.11 also but that and poulshone seem to be barely populated. Common sense would be to get the most densely populated areas in first, at least from a sales point of view.

Got a notice in the door of an esb outage scheduled for the 20th of Nov, presume that has nothing to do with activating power in the cabinet?

Esb is connected already.
    I don't know why you expected logic from eircom. I know they will connect one cab in Riverchapel. I thought Im connected the the other one farther away from me. Thats why was asking how many cabinets they will do at launch when the area became green on the map. Im happy lucky man. I wish you they do rest of them closer to one week then 6 mounts.
    BTW what logic is that Armain has no cabinet at all yet?

I can't understand eircoms layout plan either, they have ballymoney on the map that is expected to go live on the 26.11 also but that and poulshone seem to be barely populated. Common sense would be to get the most densely populated areas in first, at least from a sales point of view.

Got a notice in the door of an esb outage scheduled for the 20th of Nov, presume that has nothing to do with activating power in the cabinet?

I don't think population has anything to do with it, if you look at the mao you'll see there's a cabinet at Upper Clonattin in Gorey and there's only one farmhouse within a half mile of it, the rest is fields.
    Jowkon, I presume you mean Ardamine, there is a cabinet at Ardamine Grove, just down the road from Parklands Caravan Park.

Its based on existing infrastructure. Its nothing to do with population density in the area.

A rough idea of what the factors can be:
    • Planning permission
    • Space to accommodate the new cab
    • Number of lines ACTUALLY using that cab, you can have a cab with 200 houses nearby but 50 lines through it, 150 going straight onto a main pair
    • ESB power availability
    • Ease of running fibre to that location
    • Whether or not the cab needs to be extended in order for patching cables to be fitted

All it takes is one arse of a neighbour to object to their application for permission and your cab goes right down to the bottom of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

ED E wrote: »
    Its based on existing infrastructure. Its nothing to do with population density in the area.

A rough idea of what the factors can be:
    • Planning permission
    • Space to accommodate the new cab
    • Number of lines ACTUALLY using that cab, you can have a cab with 200 houses nearby but 50 lines through it, 150 going straight onto a main pair
    • ESB power availability
    • Ease of running fibre to that location
    • Whether or not the cab needs to be extended in order for patching cables to be fitted

All it takes is one arse of a neighbour to object to their application for permission and your cab goes right down to the bottom of the list.

What would be the delay if power is going to the cab, all cabling done?

In Newcastle West, Co.Limerick, cabs are being deliberately left dormant it seems.Half the town cabinets are live, rest are off for sometime now.

All works is done on them confirmed by KNN and Eircom employees.

Advertisement