Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They arent giving you the finger or anything with this, its just a matter of manpower.

Two years ago eircom only had to do faults and the odd new line here and there. Now they're installing what I'd guess might be close to a thousand a week in VDSL upgrades. Thats a lot of man hours, thus KNN are doing it all. As far as I can tell KNN are pretty big, but nobody can click their fingers and magic up hundreds of installers with PSTN training. Takes time, and they cant give them permanent jobs as this is only going to last a few years.

So, even with cabs in place, they can only activate a few extra per week or the cab would go live and your appointment for fitting would be six months away.

ESB and UPC have eircom on their feet, they know its time to keep up or lose out. They'll start filling in the gaps a soon as they can, the more people on VDSL contracts the better for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

ED E wrote: »
    They arent giving you the finger or anything with this, its just a matter of manpower.

Two years ago eircom only had to do faults and the odd new line here and there. Now they're installing what I'd guess might be close to a thousand a week in VDSL upgrades. Thats a lot of man hours, thus KNN are doing it all. As far as I can tell KNN are pretty big, but nobody can click their fingers and magic up hundreds of installers with PSTN training. Takes time, and they cant give them permanent jobs as this is only going to last a few years.

So, even with cabs in place, they can only activate a few extra per week or the cab would go live and your appointment for fitting would be six months away.

ESB and UPC have eircom on their feet, they know its time to keep up or lose out. They'll start filling in the gaps a soon as they can, the more people on VDSL contracts the better for them.

Thanks ED.

They are vaild reasons.

How come Eircom mods in there sub forum don't give us answers like that?

Eircom mods if your reading this take note!

My guess, bureaucracy. Eircom operates in two halves, retail and wholesale. Wholesale do the field stuff, those reps are most likely retail staff. Their job is account problems and stuff, not the nitty gritty of the tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Very informative post ED but it still doesn't explain the apparently illogical, piecemeal way Eircom are approaching it. For instance, where we live in Riverchapel, all cabinets are at the same point in the installation process i.e. all have been brought to the "ready to go" stage, yet Eircom seem to be leapfrogging cabinets close to the exchange and enabling cabinets further away. Where I live the two cabinets are only about 150 yards apart yet the further one has a live date and the other one not. Doesn't make sense.

One reason could be that they're upgrading the slowest users first. But tbh there are so many factors that effect these things we can only guess. These decisions would be made by development engineers, not any old technician, you can be pretty sure theres a reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Apologies if this has been asked already.

Does it matter if you are closer to one of the small red dot or big red dot exchanges?

I am about 1 km from one of the small red dot exchanges due to be upgraded next year.

Can you still get the full speed off them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Marhay70 wrote: »
    where we live in Riverchapel, all cabinets are at the same point in the installation process i.e. all have been brought to the "ready to go" stage, yet Eircom seem to be leapfrogging cabinets close to the exchange and enabling cabinets further away.
    The cabinets themselves may have been installed, but it can take a while for them to be connected to an electricity supply. After that they would be commissioned, tested and signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jowkon

There is no cab on Eidchigham Heights which is for all streets beside I think. However all other cabinets are ESB and fibre connected - ports contact is what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Don't know if this is a record or a mistake but I seen ESB at cabinet yesterday (Dromiskin, Co Louth).
    Now its marked live on eircom wholesale site, not coming up yet to order though.
    Just checked online using address and it says its live, will try and order tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

raytaxi wrote: »
    Don't know if this is a record or a mistake but I seen ESB at cabinet yesterday (Dromiskin, Co Louth).
    Now its marked live on eircom wholesale site, not coming up yet to order though.
    Just checked online using address and it says its live, will try and order tomorrow.

I'm waiting on this also, please let post up if you were able to order it ... thanks

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    One reason could be that they're upgrading the slowest users first. But tbh there are so many factors that effect these things we can only guess. These decisions would be made by development engineers, not any old technician, you can be pretty sure theres a reason for it.

They couldn't get much slower than where I am, often down to 0.2mbs at peak 3mbs at best in the early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Checked he eircom website like I do most mornings and it generally says that you are not in an eFibre area so register for interest. Torturing myself usually, but this morning I'm now in an area and available to order so ordered it this morning and put is a prefered install date of the 26th. Date doesnt really matter as long as its on the way. Hopefully happy days... :)

As expected Courtown marked nice green colour as efibre available on Eircom map :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

lol, looking at that map I think they shutting down until next year, its either green or red with only the odd bits here and there of other colours.

the reds are are new areas with very optimistic timing for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

yuloni wrote: »
    By the looks of many of the red areas, it will be exchange mounted VDSL I'd imagine... no cabinets

Yes, there's no cabinets in the area I'm in, all fed from the exchange, it's just gone red in the latest map update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

yuloni wrote: »
    Are you on VDSL already?

What I mean is that it will likely differ to what's rolled out so far where localised cabinets were installed, breaking the long line runs in the process. Prior to cabinets rolling out to the areas already complete, most if not all lines were terminating at the exchange anyways. Looking at some of the now red sectors, including my own... they're rural towns and villages. I can't see cabinets being installed here as a localised cabinet would serve little purpose with no real clusters of houses nearby to make it economical

No, I'm on adsl. This area was not planned for eFibre till now. Any cabinets that were installed were installed beside existing cabinets, this town has no cabinets, all lines go direct to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Whats the story with everyone over 2km so, I wonder if the asdl2 tech is involved aswell for everyone else, I read something about that here somewhere in one of these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Nolars wrote: »
    Whats the story with everyone over 2km so, I wonder if the asdl2 tech is involved aswell for everyone else, I read something about that here somewhere in one of these threads.

That's the big question.... I'm over 2Km (direct fed line) on sh1.te ADSL1. Everyone within 2Km is going to get a big boost (esp in upload), so what happens to us stuck on ADSL1? I can't imagine much would change (except contention will reduce), as surely those exchanges who are ADSL2 and have gone VDSL will still have a large number of customers (in the short term) still on ADSL2 - so the equipment isn't available - and/or probably not cost viable to put in to ADSL1 exchanges anyhow...

MBSnr wrote: »
    That's the big question.... I'm over 2Km (direct fed line) on sh1.te ADSL1. Everyone within 2Km is going to get a big boost (esp in upload), so what happens to us stuck on ADSL1? I can't imagine much would change (except contention will reduce), as surely those exchanges who are ADSL2 and have gone VDSL will still have a large number of customers (in the short term) still on ADSL2 - so the equipment isn't available - and/or probably not cost viable to put in to ADSL1 exchanges anyhow...

If your exchange is congested atm then the NGA upgrade will relive that. There's also a good chance they'll fit new ADSL2+ racks long term if there's enough floorspace, the cards are going to become very cheap with VDSL2 taking over internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crocked77

I see my area has been moved on the efibre map to a go live date of april - june 2015 from December 2014.

It still shows as December 2014 if you check by phone number.

I rang Eircom and they could only suggest checking in December as they only deal with the retail.

I had a look at the website below and it shows that the build has started but won't be available until spring summer "2014" which is unlikely at this stage.

eircomwholesale.ie -> Our_Network -> Fibre Broadband Network Coverage Map

Does anyone know where I could call or email to get reasonable info on way or the other?

One thing I noticed is that in Macroom for example they only have 300 premises that can use efibre. Is there any reason why these numbers are so low?

I thought once they connected up the exchange they were good or do they need to do more locally as if so It'll be another few years before this is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 d4lc

Hi map on eircom.net says efibre available in Callan Co Kilkenny. Line check say that eFibre not available. Any suggestions why this us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

That is the same problem I'm having, think its means line has not been pre-qualified for fibre. But I don't know for sure. Sales don't know or won't say when I am going live, eircom on boards say mid December is the aim but nothing confirmed yet.

Anybody else in Riverchapel find that the bandwidth has become even worse in the last week or so? I'm regularly getting 0.2mbs download and <0.01 upload at peak times. I'm wondering if this is a deliberate softening up of people to force them to take efibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

lol not in my case. Fibre not available to me yet. Would take it in a heart beat.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

d4lc wrote: »
    Hi map on eircom.net says efibre available in Callan Co Kilkenny. Line check say that eFibre not available. Any suggestions why this us ?

Actually the map just says that the cabinets are in place (it was me that added them), but not showing as available for my line in Callan either, via the line checker. I'd assume it's because the cabs aren't live yet

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Anybody else in Riverchapel find that the bandwidth has become even worse in the last week or so? I'm regularly getting 0.2mbs download and <0.01 upload at peak times. I'm wondering if this is a deliberate softening up of people to force them to take efibre.

Its seems to be particulary bad lately, was getting 0.4mbs yesterday. With the nights getting darker early now, alot of people are in on the net. Eircom shouldn't be allowed to oversubscribe the exchanges like they do.

Last time I checked my phone number on eircoms site it said efibre available Nov-14. Now today I'm getting "Your home is not in an eFibre area
    However eircom is rolling out eFibre across Ireland". Looks like thats probably it for Riverchapel/courtown area for a while.

Just checked my dads number (he lives in ardamine) and got this "Great news!
    Your home is eFibre enabled"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

logic wrote: »
    Just checked my dads number (he lives in ardamine) and got this "Great news!
    Your home is eFibre enabled"

I got the exact same message from Eircom, even though my house is 2km from an exchange that is most definitely NOT eFibred/VDSLed/ADSLed and because of the distance will never see the proper benefit of it when it does get upgraded in 2 years time. :(

Advertisement