Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »
    The RAP notice period is 1 month not 3 I'm reasonably sure.

It's 3 months on eVDSL, I know that for definite to be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Has anyone noticed a decline in Mobile Broadband speeds in an area that has been enabled? They might be completely unrelated but I can find no other reason why my eir mobile broadband has gone from 20 Mbps to 0.9 Mbps. It seemed to happen right as they were upgrading my local exchange. I still get 5 bars of 4G coverage it's just the speed is the issue. I reset it and leave it in exactly the same place all of the time so I cannot think of anything else as the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

daraghwal wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a decline in Mobile Broadband speeds in an area that has been enabled? They might be completely unrelated but I can find no other reason why my eir mobile broadband has gone from 20 Mbps to 0.9 Mbps. It seemed to happen right as they were upgrading my local exchange. I still get 5 bars of 4G coverage it's just the speed is the issue. I reset it and leave it in exactly the same place all of the time so I cannot think of anything else as the issue

Quad play bundles.

Everyone can suddenly get eFibre and moves their mobile while they were at it, now a mast that had 10 users now has 150, say hello to congestion.

Great. I get mobile broadband to backup the landline (which isn't fibre enabled where I live and won't be until FTTH comes along in probably 3-4 years time) when it goes down to 0.4 Mbps in the evenings and then they go and make my mobile broadband useless too. Cheers Eir! Does anyone know any other providers that I could use instead? I live out in the country a bit so anything on a landline is out of the window and I think the only other mobile network with decent 4G where I live is vodafone. Any other alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Was talking to engineer today and he told me all the equipment is setup in the exchange for evsdl so shouldn't be too long hopefully.

Does anyone know why my attenuation figures are so weird? I'm half thinking of getting a new telephone line into the house as engineers have been out here but the figures never changed much.

DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 20122 kbps/765 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 14.7 dB/ 4.4 dB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Great. I get mobile broadband to backup the landline (which isn't fibre enabled where I live and won't be until FTTH comes along in probably 3-4 years time) when it goes down to 0.4 Mbps in the evenings and then they go and make my mobile broadband useless too. Cheers Eir! Does anyone know any other providers that I could use instead? I live out in the country a bit so anything on a landline is out of the window and I think the only other mobile network with decent 4G where I live is vodafone. Any other alternatives?

Try all the mobile broadband providers (3, Vodafone, Meteor) and see what the reception is like. You can usually cancel within 2 weeks if you're not happy.

Was talking to engineer today and he told me all the equipment is setup in the exchange for evsdl so shouldn't be too long hopefully.

Does anyone know why my attenuation figures are so weird? I'm half thinking of getting a new telephone line into the house as engineers have been out here but the figures never changed much.

DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 20122 kbps/765 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 14.7 dB/ 4.4 dB

Thats exactly as expected, ignore uAtten as its not very indicative of anything. Unless your line is *really* f'cked technician callouts should not vary attenuation, only increase the SNR if there was a problem. They don't move your house closer to/further away from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Changed from 6 months when I enter my number to 6 weeks today, so I'm hopeful!

Dont get your hopes up.

New cabinets near me were due to go live on the 09/03/16 but now iv been told that it could be 6-12 months as they are not on the current roll-out file.

I finally had my hopes up of getting above 2.5mb "broadband" now its back to same old **** different day.

Cant even play a game on the PlayStation any more if there is one other person in the house on the internet.

Will be 2020 by the time I get 3mb download speeds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

chewed wrote: »
    Try all the mobile broadband providers (3, Vodafone, Meteor) and see what the reception is like. You can usually cancel within 2 weeks if you're not happy.

Meteor=eir Mobile, so if their mast is congested, so is Meteor's.

Vodafone and 3 are the only other mobile networks.

Three is gone useless in my area too and vodafone don't give near enough data. :'(

• Advertisement

Three is gone useless in my area too and vodafone don't give near enough data. :'(

Three are useless BECAUSE they give you so much data, Vodafones caps keep their network functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

The mobile broadband speed could be slow due the kids being off from school. If it improves when they go back, you'll have the answer. If it doesn't look to plan B!

Roynie wrote: »
    The mobile broadband speed could be slow due the kids being off from school. If it improves when they go back, you'll have the answer. If it doesn't look to plan B!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I change the APN would that increase my speed and if so what apn would I use? It is currently broadband.mymeteor.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if I change the APN would that increase my speed and if so what apn would I use? It is currently broadband.mymeteor.ie

I have no idea. At a guess, I wouldn't have thought so as you would still be going through your access provider, but that assumes my thought about the kids using up the bandwidth is correct.

Normally no, it will sometimes change if you get a public IP or not but shouldnt impact speeds.
    Roynie wrote: »

Assuming the OP doesnt work at home this isnt it. Kids finish school around 2.30 daily and dont have it on the weekend, same times the OP will be home from work so holidays should create marginally more congestion.

ED E wrote: »

Assuming the OP doesnt work at home this isnt it. Kids finish school around 2.30 daily and dont have it on the weekend, same times the OP will be home from work so holidays should create marginally more congestion.

Yeah I don't think the school kids would make it go from roughly 17 Mbps to 2 Mbps. Also, in my area there is actually very few people that can get eir fibre. I think I am served from a different mast to the one in the village anyway. Is there anything else could be the issue?

There are lots of things that can go wrong, but we've no way of telling what from here.

You should be on to Meteor/Emobile about this, keep hounding their support guys until they pass it to the networks guys and get it resolved.

Trying my best but there are so many departments to be directed to and then they eventually hang up :/

So nearly a year after the original date still no fibre, cabinet in about 6 months. The exchange is enabled about a year and some people have fibre since but not my cabinet or another, 3 in total.

Eircom are a joke, they get one cabinet working then they can claim they have xxxx amount of towns/villages on Fibre when they only connect the bare minimum.

The map changes from available in 6 months to 6 weeks and back again every month or so.

I'm sick to death of this company having dominance in rural areas !

Eir are and always will be a disgrace !

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

So nearly a year after the original date still no fibre, cabinet in about 6 months. The exchange is enabled about a year and some people have fibre since but not my cabinet or another, 3 in total.

Eircom are a joke, they get one cabinet working then they can claim they have xxxx amount of towns/villages on Fibre when they only connect the bare minimum.

The map changes from available in 6 months to 6 weeks and back again every month or so.

I'm sick to death of this company having dominance in rural areas !

Eir are and always will be a disgrace !

Try having your cabinet enabled for nearly 3 years and Eircom advertising efibre available in your area.
    Only about half the houses on the road qualify for it and that is totally random.
    Eircom confirm that you are connected to the cabinet, but you are failing the test so PFO.
    Thats what awaits you when they enable your cab :)

• Advertisement

Mental stuff, I wouldn't mind but even the mobile operators are ignoring rural areas and don;t offer any form of 4G service that doesn't have ridiculous GB limits.

I understand why they concentrate on the more populated areas but Rural areas have pretty much no or very limited choice and so surely there's a big market for a decent wireless service ?

Theres already 2(3?) rural broadband threads, might be an idea not to create yet another.

VDSL is based on the existing POTS network, so a cable laid in the 60's or 70's may prevent you from availing of it. This is **** news for you but its just tough luck. Nothing will be done while there are more cabs to deploy, and possibly still afterwards.

To some extent its better that you be out of range of the FTTC network as it mandates the NBP connects you for FTTH(10-30x faster) in a few years. Those who get 50Mb now could be moaning in 2022 that they're stuck on 50 when those outside of town have 2000Mb.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mental stuff, I wouldn't mind but even the mobile operators are ignoring rural areas and don;t offer any form of 4G service that doesn't have ridiculous GB limits.

I understand why they concentrate on the more populated areas but Rural areas have pretty much no or very limited choice and so surely there's a big market for a decent wireless service ?

The 'ridiculous GB limits' are in place to stop the network degrading. There is little point in giving people unlimited usage if it just slows the network to a crawl.

The fact is that urban areas are more cost effective and generate a greater return per capita. What open eir are doing at the minute with regard to rural areas is, imo, incredible going and I hope they keep it up. A lot of very rural areas now have access to 70Mbit broadband and a lot more areas aren't far off it

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

marno21 wrote: »
    What open eir are doing at the minute with regard to rural areas is, imo, incredible going and I hope they keep it up. A lot of very rural areas now have access to 70Mbit broadband and a lot more areas aren't far off it

What OpenEir are also doing is grabbing select parcels of reasonably serviceable customers for temselves and leaving outlying customers to own devices - cornering as much of the market as possible and subverting the planned tendering process for broadband for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

Hibrasil wrote: »
    What OpenEir are also doing is grabbing select parcels of reasonably serviceable customers for temselves and leaving outlying customers to own devices - cornering as much of the market as possible and subverting the planned tendering process for broadband for all.

Yeah cos Virgin Media are itching to roll out cable in bally go backwards, get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Danny Boy wrote: »
    Yeah cos Virgin Media are itching to roll out cable in bally go backwards, get real.
    ignorance is not really an excuse for rudeness..

marno21 wrote: »
    The 'ridiculous GB limits' are in place to stop the network degrading. There is little point in giving people unlimited usage if it just slows the network to a crawl.

The fact is that urban areas are more cost effective and generate a greater return per capita. What open eir are doing at the minute with regard to rural areas is, imo, incredible going and I hope they keep it up. A lot of very rural areas now have access to 70Mbit broadband and a lot more areas aren't far off it

No the GB limits are in place to keep the cost minimum for the operator and the profits maximum.

Contention is a very poor excuse for lack of investment.

On Three I can get 25 Mbs on normal 3G off peak and anything down to 1mb at night.

On DSL , 6 mb off peak anything down to 1-3 mb off peak and this is perfectly acceptable by the telecoms providers , "oh it's contention sir, perfectly acceptable"

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Danny Boy wrote: »

Who is to say that Vodafone / ESB (SIRO) would not take on and service the whole Bally go Backwards area given that the broadband plan may involve a state subsidy in order to have the area serviced (given the poor possible economic return). Other than that "No comment" Danny Boy.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Hi folks, posted this over at Eir but I'm not expecting a response any time soon. We are rebuilding a house in a very rural area right now but I believe Eir are rolling out fibre quite soon.

I'm a little clueless about how fibre broadband exchanges actually work, but we've a relatively annoying door to door sales guy from Eir showing basically telling us there's only a finite number of ports left to assign to houses and if we don't sign up quickly we won't be able to get fibre broadband. Is this as ridiculous as I think it sounds? I know these boys work on commission so I'm fairly dubious of this guy. We are going to need a connection soon anyway and I'm sure Eir will be our only option, but I don't want to be pushed into a contract prematurely.

• Advertisement

Hi folks, posted this over at Eir but I'm not expecting a response any time soon. We are rebuilding a house in a very rural area right now but I believe Eir are rolling out fibre quite soon.

I'm a little clueless about how fibre broadband exchanges actually work, but we've a relatively annoying door to door sales guy from Eir showing basically telling us there's only a finite number of ports left to assign to houses and if we don't sign up quickly we won't be able to get fibre broadband. Is this as ridiculous as I think it sounds? I know these boys work on commission so I'm fairly dubious of this guy. We are going to need a connection soon anyway and I'm sure Eir will be our only option, but I don't want to be pushed into a contract prematurely.

Ignore him, he's commission whoring. He'll sign you up for ADSL now, get his cut and if VDSL hasn't been deployed a year down the road he won't know nor care. Even if he was honest, dont order at the door ever.

Have a look at the maps on the openeir website to see what your coverage may be like. If you're REALLY remote its possible you'll only get phone and dial up, they don't have to provide broadband.

Advertisement