Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Hi folks, posted this over at Eir but I'm not expecting a response any time soon. We are rebuilding a house in a very rural area right now but I believe Eir are rolling out fibre quite soon.

I'm a little clueless about how fibre broadband exchanges actually work, but we've a relatively annoying door to door sales guy from Eir showing basically telling us there's only a finite number of ports left to assign to houses and if we don't sign up quickly we won't be able to get fibre broadband. Is this as ridiculous as I think it sounds? I know these boys work on commission so I'm fairly dubious of this guy. We are going to need a connection soon anyway and I'm sure Eir will be our only option, but I don't want to be pushed into a contract prematurely.

I'd never sign-up with a door-to-door salesman as I would not believe anything that comes out of their mouth. Particularly when they come out with the "Limited time offer". That turns me completely off.

Also the names of "others" that have signed up can be BS too. I think there was a guy near Galway (lets call him Mick) on here a while back who had a salesdrone tell him his neighbour (lets call him John) across the road got it installed and it was great and he was getting (lets say) 20Mbps. Mick signs up and ends up with something like 3Mbps. He goes across to John who tells him he didn't sign up to anything with your man and doesn't have broadband. :eek::confused::mad:

So I would check with those "names", before you sign anything.

However it is possible that there are a limited number of ports available at the cab/exchange that you might get connected to. So this bit may be true, right now. If there is room for expansion and there is demand in the area, then that can change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

ED E wrote: »
    Ignore him, he's commission whoring. He'll sign you up for ADSL now, get his cut and if VDSL hasn't been deployed a year down the road he won't know nor care. Even if he was honest, dont order at the door ever.

Have a look at the maps on the openeir website to see what your coverage may be like. If you're REALLY remote its possible you'll only get phone and dial up, they don't have to provide broadband.

That's what I thought, however unfortunately I'm seeing a number of references from others which to me seem to agree with this sales guy - that indeed a cabinet may only have a set number of ports being 'upgraded'. Not sure what to think now, logically it makes sense that a small rural cabinet could only provide for a set number of houses I guess. Map says there is a 'live' fibre cabinet relatively close to the house which I guess is our exchange.

Link link link
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Well, just like exchanges at times, some cabs will be out of ports and some won't. eircom cannot add new ports, only new cabs.

So a person using the map ( where cab numbers are present) as a guide can contact any provider before they EG rent a house to ensure they can _actually_ get a service.

If they cannot they should rent elsewhere. Not having quality broadband is dangerous to peoples economic wellbeing nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're rural the chances of it filling up are small enough. Where you have issues is a housing estate with 220 homes when the DSLAM has 192 usable ports leaving a handful of people without as its not worth adding another service unit for them. In smaller villages the eVDSL rack only covers 1500m of a radius which usually will contain less than 200 viable lines.

Does the live "cab" have an E01 at the end?

ED E wrote: »
    If you're rural the chances of it filling up are small enough. Where you have issues is a housing estate with 220 homes when the DSLAM has 192 usable ports leaving a handful of people without as its not worth adding another service unit for them. In smaller villages the eVDSL rack only covers 1500m of a radius which usually will contain less than 200 viable lines.

Does the live "cab" have an E01 at the end?

It does yeah, didn't see before on the map that apparently '60 houses support 70mb fibre'. Interesting thanks guys. I'm really not sure if there would be 200 hundred houses in within that kind of a radius, it seems unlikely

One more question then I guess actually, do Eir have a monopoly on these things for the forseeable future? I thought I read somewhere Sky or some other company can't actually supply broadband on them because they're being mostly bank-rolled by Eir, does that sound right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

One more question then I guess actually, do Eir have a monopoly on these things for the forseeable future? I thought I read somewhere Sky or some other company can't actually supply broadband on them because they're being mostly bank-rolled by Eir, does that sound right?

Eir has monopoly on landlines full stop - they may enter into preferiential agreements with others (mutual back scratching ) - if you get my meaning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

So there is a cab going 'live' in 6 weeks 300M away from the house according to the Eircom site whenever I checked, have been checking once per week for about the same time.
    Only now our number (and all of street addresses for that matter) are showing up as 'Not in a broadband area' What gives here? DO they take places/address off the list and re-add or what or is that a way of saying they changed plans?

Ah don't worry in a few weeks it will go to 6 months and back to 6 weeks and so on.......

We were supposed to have it last May !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

god's toy wrote: »
    So there is a cab going 'live' in 6 weeks 300M away from the house according to the Eircom site whenever I checked, have been checking once per week for about the same time.
    Only now our number (and all of street addresses for that matter) are showing up as 'Not in a broadband area' What gives here? DO they take places/address off the list and re-add or what or is that a way of saying they changed plans?

they lie on the map to support the sales process. The exchange will probably be upgraded at some point, so at some point the map will be correct for the previous six weeks :-). However at all other times it provides false information

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Eir has monopoly on landlines full stop - they may enter into preferiential agreements with others (mutual back scratching ) - if you get my meaning!!!

Thanks for the info guys, it's very handy to have some knowledgeable people to refer to with these things :)
    they lie on the map to support the sales process. The exchange will probably be upgraded at some point, so at some point the map will be correct for the previous six weeks :-). However at all other times is provides false information

The whole fibre rollout situation seems like an unorganized shambles to me. Shame there's nothing that can be done really.

• Advertisement

Pre-VDSL:
    OpenEir own the lines, have kit in all exchanges.
    BT have kit in some exchanges (~100 or 900) so that you can purchase via LLU so you're on a different hardware network with the same copper line
    Most people are serviced by an OpenEir resold product.

Post-VDSL:
    We cant have 1 cab becoming 3 cabs instead of 1 cab becoming 2 cabs like is now the case, so LLU is out for FTTC. All copper and equipment is OpenEir's and then is re-sold.

Monopolies are an unfortunate reality for access networks. In urban areas it is feasible to have two access networks(Cable vs POTS/FTTH) but rurally it'll always be a single access provider.
    The whole fibre rollout situation seems like an unorganized shambles to me. Shame there's nothing that can be done really.

Stop reading the retail map, its Eir making a crappy copy of OpenEirs real map that has the correct information the vast majority of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

DesperateDan, are you asking if you, as a consumer, can order fibre broadband from suppliers other than eir? If so yes it is possible to order from multiple providers, Vodafone, Sky, Magnet, Pure to name a few. The monopoly on lines is a wholesale issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Danny Boy wrote: »
    Yeah cos Virgin Media are itching to roll out cable in bally go backwards, get real.

Update on those interested in bidding for the proposed rollout of Government's €1.5 billion rural broadband contract - a report in Irish Times on Tuesday said that the Irish Broadband operator Imagine has teamed up with Australia's largest investment bank Macquarie. The consortium includes several other international investors. A pre-qualification questionnaire has been submitted to the Dept of Communications verifying the consortium's financial and technical clout
    The Government plans involve awarding two subsidized contracts for the roll-out of high speed broadband to 750,000 homes later this year.

Last year, Gigabit Fibre was established with the aim of securing business under the proposed scheme. EIR, SIRO and E-Net are also know to be in the bidding process. The E-Net consortium includes on it's operational side Northern Powergrid (a part of Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway Energy) and Kelly Communications a British telecom contractor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

(premises count in brackets)

Adare, Co. Limerick (631)
    Aughrim, Co. Galway (127)
    Ballinlough, Co. Roscommon (241)
    Ballycullane, Co. Wexford (111)
    Donamon, Co. Roscommmon (61)
    Holycross, Co. Tipperary (260)
    Rathmore, Co. Kildare (21)
    Rosenallis, Co. Laois (89)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Ballyvary, Co. Mayo, cab 001 (190)
    Castledermot, Co. Kildare, cab 002, 003 (222)
    Castlerea, Co. Roscommon, cab 001, 004 (141)
    Dundalk, Co. Louth, cab 045 (103)
    Dingle, Co. Kerry, cab 001-006 (1333)
    Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath, cab 004 (29)

A total of 3,949 premises were connected this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 debaters1

Myself and my partner recently moved into an apartment in Hanover Dock. It had been vacant for some time so there were no service providers etc connected.

I rang eir there to have the line reactivated and was informed that there was never a line active. I'm not too surprised as the apartment was set up for NTL/UPC/Virgin so there was a good chance it was never set up with a conventional line initially and previous occupants just used BB.

So i asked about scheduling an engineer to come out and set up a line etc. This was possible but only if i set up with eir and then pull out during my cooling off period. This seems absurd but I'm not wholly surprised.

However, my real issue relates to the Broadband issue. I want to go with Sky, who use a phone line but i want Fibre Power. I was informed by the guy from eir that checked out an undisclosed apartment in my building that they are on 8MB Next Generation BB. And that Fibre Broadband did not seem to be available in the complex.

Is this true?! I mean the heart of Dublin 2 with a "live" cabinet a few hundred metres away and one being installed and another planned. This is according to the Openeir website.

I searched their website for a number, and in a wonderful twist of irony (or blindness) I could not find one. Surely i can speak to a human being or one of you good people can confirm if my building has access to fibre broadband???

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

You don't need to go through eir to get your line installed. You should be able to do this through any of the retail telcos, though I hear sky don't seem too willing to arrange it. The actual installation would be done by openeir (eir wholesale)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 debaters1

eir wholesale. Got that, will contact them directly and yes, Sky didn't seem to keen on doing that element of things.

Will eir wholesale be able to advise of the fibre broadband issue or is that yet another facet of the dodecahedron of the eir entity?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Eir wholesale, open eir , only deal with other telcos. You need a retail operator - eir retail, Vodafone or Sky etc to order the installation, but you will then be in contract with them for some minimum period.

Eir - Do NLP (new line provides)
    Vodafone - Do NLP
    Sky - Newly do NLP IF you order TV too

Regarding OpenEir products:
    The current cab you arent connected to
    New cab you *MAY* be connected to or may bypass completely

Regarding Virgin:
    Probably your best bet, in D2 its very unlikely to be old 30Mb hardware and thus is generally a really strong service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

My exchange went live today, the 6 weeks was spot on more or less. I just hope it's not a bug on the website or something.

• Advertisement

Just ordered it, it's not going live until the 11th of May which kinda sucks having to wait but whatever!

It says I can only get 40Mb with 13/4 line attentuation. My snr down though isn't great. Hopefully I can get get abit more.

What kind of upload could I expected with 40 down?

Thanks guys! Really happy today, been stuck on unstable internet for so long

Just ordered it, it's not going live until the 11th of May which kinda sucks having to wait but whatever!

Thats just the notice period, they have to give one month of a wait time to allow all providers a chance sell it. Sounds like you'll be one of the first installs.
    What kind of upload could I expected with 40 down?

10Mb.

Connection is still unstable at peak hours, thought they'd have the backhaul upgraded already, obviously not.

Connection is still unstable at peak hours, thought they'd have the backhaul upgraded already, obviously not.

This issue has come up before. They've installed a new optical rack, connected it to a VDSL rack MSAN but the ADSL rack still goes back over the old ATM connection. Dunno why eircoms NOC don't "NGN-ify" it at the same time, small job comparatively but they don't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

(premises count in brackets)

Ballyhaunis, Co. Mayo (1102)
    Ballinhassig, Co. Cork (145)
    Curraghboy, Co. Roscommon (81)
    Farranfore, Co. Kerry (194)
    Loch Gowna, Co. Cavan (199)
    Piltown, Co. Kilkenny (287)
    Strandhill, Co. Sligo (486)
    Tulla, Co. Clare (300)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:
    Athenry, Co. Galway, cab 019 (81)
    Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, cab 003 (198)
    Clonmany, Co. Donegal, cab 002 (249)

A total of 3,531 premises were connected this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TooGood444

Any timeframe for castlebellingham louth to get fibre optic?

This 8mb connection is slow AF.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

TooGood444 wrote: »
    Any timeframe for castlebellingham louth to get fibre optic?

This 8mb connection is slow AF.

Thanks.

First of all put your number in here http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ and see is fibre available to you and if not check this map http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ and see if you live along a blue line coming from Castlebellingham. If you do you will most likely have FTTH with up to 1 Gbps Download speeds by March 2017 (or so eir says anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TooGood444

Thanks

quite interesting

Exchange Code: Unknown

DSL Enabled: Yes - 20 MB

NGB Enabled: Yes - 20 MB

Fibre Enabled: Yes - 50 MB

LLU Enabled: No

That was the results for my number.

My street is on the planned rollout map however according to the line checker i should have it available already?

Thanks

quite interesting

My street is on the planned rollout map however according to the line checker i should have it available already?

Call your provider of preference and order it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Thanks

quite interesting

Other people on here know more than me about those results and timeframes etc. but from looking at that you should be able to get FTTC broadband. If you ring eir they might be able to tell you more or go onto the www.eir.ie website and click chat now. It is easier to get to a sales person from the homepage than it is from www.eir.ie/chatnow

Maybe you could be in a contract for the 8Mbps?

Advertisement