Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

BandMember wrote: »
    Where did you see that? Any chance of a link? My county hasn't been updated on the fibre where and when map in months yet my exchange is supposed to be live within 6 weeks according to the map on the Eir site.... :confused:

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ It's just the ones that are coming up in the next number of weeks that have specific dates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

BandMember wrote: »
    Where did you see that? Any chance of a link? My county hasn't been updated on the fibre where and when map in months yet my exchange is supposed to be live within 6 weeks according to the map on the Eir site.... :confused:
    Yep same here. Its saying 6 weeks for almost 6 months!
    No dates listed on exchange info.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The eir site really shouldnt exist, ignore it.

ED E wrote: »
    The eir site really shouldnt exist, ignore it.

It's useless and is never updated. My local exchange said within 6 weeks last year and it was turned on two months ago and still says within 6 weeks. It used to tell me I would be getting fibre broadband but I can't I live 4km from the exchange! It was only when it went live then that it said I am not in a fibre area. Completely Useless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

daraghwal wrote: »
    It's useless and is never updated. My local exchange said within 6 weeks last year and it was turned on two months ago and still says within 6 weeks. It used to tell me I would be getting fibre broadband but I can't I live 4km from the exchange! It was only when it went live then that it said I am not in a fibre area. Completely Useless!!

How can you know your area is live without using the Eir site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Iv given up on their website.

I was shown for weeks that new cabinets near me were gone live to then only be told by an eir rep something along the lines of the cabinets arnt even on the next rollout plan and will be over 9 months at the earliest.

Going to go with a wireless provider now.

Use OpenEir not Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ED E wrote: »
    Use OpenEir not Eir.
    Can I clarify for other people as thick as me? :)

Do you mean this link?: http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Also, are the dates on this likely to be accurate. My exchange says 6 weeks but it'll be no use to me as I live just about 3 Km away in a straight line, about 3.3 Km on the road...

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can I clarify for other people as thick as me? :)

Do you mean this link?: http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Also, are the dates on this likely to be accurate. My exchange says 6 weeks but it'll be no use to me as I live just about 3 Km away in a straight line, about 3.3 Km on the road...

This one
    http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

Theyre the same, Fibrerollout is run by OpenEir.

The eir.ie one is the one to avoid :)

• Advertisement

No, you'll never attach to NGN core.

Blue Lines and cabinets are independent. Cabs are for copper, blue lines are FTTH. FTTH doesnt care about distance. Most areas don't have FTTH yet and you have no guarantee when it'll actually be deployed.

You're between 1400m and 1900m from a cabinet so. Thats a copper connection and does slow over distance. The blue line will upgrade that rating in the next 5yrs or so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

(premises count in brackets)

Birdhill, Co. Tipperary (74)
    Berrings, Co. Cork (122)
    Cornamona, Co. Galway (73)
    Cloonfad, Co. Roscommon (263)
    Leenane, Co. Galway (72)
    Mullinahone, Co. Tipperary (299)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Kilcarn, Co. Meath, cab 011 (26)
    Kill, Co. Kildare, cab 005 (117)
    Little Island, Co. Cork, cab 010 (110)
    Nurney, Co. Kildare, cab 001 (41)

A total of 1,197 premises were connected this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

At the minute the eir website says that I can get fibre BB on the 11th May. The eir fibre rollout map shows the nearest cab (BGE1_001 about 100 metres from me) not being activated for a year, but a Bridgend cab/exchange (BGE1_E01) about 2.5k away from me is showing as being activated within six weeks . I am now concerned that I am to be connected to the distant cab, not the one on my doorstep. Is that likely, or even possible? I'm assuming my possible speeds would take a major hit if that was the case.

The only way to know accurately is looking at this map www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

James74 wrote: »
    At the minute the eir website says that I can get fibre BB on the 11th May. The eir fibre rollout map shows the nearest cab (BGE1_001 about 100 metres from me) not being activated for a year, but a Bridgend cab/exchange (BGE1_E01) about 2.5k away from me is showing as being activated within six weeks . I am now concerned that I am to be connected to the distant cab, not the one on my doorstep. Is that likely, or even possible? I'm assuming my possible speeds would take a major hit if that was the case.

Firstly, the only website you should use to accurately see what is live/going live is www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ or www.fibrerollout.ie (they are the same thing). The www.eir.ie map is completely useless. It is more likely that you are connected to 001 so unfortunately you won't be getting fibre for a while yet. If you are connected to E01 then you are too far away to get fibre and you will have to wait for FTTH from eir between 2017 and 2020 if you are on a blue line or if not you probably have a longer wait for the NBP which could take up over 6 years by the way things are going with DCENR at the moment.

If you are with eir and have the eir d1000 modem you should be able to log in to 192.168.1.254 and see some statistics on the main connection page. The one to see a rough distance to the exchange is Line Attenuation (Down). If you can get this value, put it into this website http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php and it will tell you roughly how far you are from the exchange. It will show you for definite which of the two you are connected to.

Hmmm, that annoying. 3259 metres to the exchange. Frustratingly I can see the new cabinet less than a 100 metres away from where I'm sitting right now.

Hmmm, that annoying. 3259 metres to the exchange. Frustratingly I can see the new cabinet less than a 100 metres away from where I'm sitting right now.

Would you mind posting some of the statistics from your router just to confirm? Just the Speed, Line Attenuation (Down/Up) and DSL Noise Margin. Nothing else as some of the other information on that page should not be shared.

If it is saying 3259 metres then your are likely to be connected to E01 and out of luck for FTTC but the good news is you will be getting 1 Gbps FTTH which is way faster than FTTC. You will just have to wait a bit longer. If you are on the blue line you are likely to get eir's FTTH service between 2017 and 2020. If not as I said you will have to wait to be serviced by whoever wins the NBP contract which could mean a very, very long wait looking at how things are going in DCENR at the moment

Thanks Daragh...

SNR Up : 24.0
    SNR Down : 9.0
    Line Attenuation Up : 25.0
    Line Attenuation Down : 45.0
    Data Rate Up : 512
    Data Rate Down : 6144

When you say on the blue line, does it literally have to be passing the door. I'm that same 100m from the blue line as I am from that local cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    On the http://fibrerollout.ie/ map I was on one of the blue lines for months. Now the blue lines have disappeared. The cabinet is an EO1 rural cabinet which doesn't make any sense as the majority of houses (including mine) are outside of its effective range. I assumed that the blue lines indicated this our area was part of the introduction of FTTH 2017-2020. Whats going on?

Thanks Daragh...

SNR Up : 24.0
    SNR Down : 9.0
    Line Attenuation Up : 25.0
    Line Attenuation Down : 45.0
    Data Rate Up : 512
    Data Rate Down : 6144

When you say on the blue line, does it literally have to be passing the door. I'm that same 100m from the blue line as I am from that local cab.

I don't think anyone is really sure about how accurate the blue line is unfortunately. Maybe someone else on here knows but as far as I know it is more of a guide than anything else. From those figures, you are definitely connected to the E01 exchange so you can't get FTTC. You will have to just wait for either eir who may or may not service you, nobody knows at this stage, or the National Broadband Plan. Unfortunately, like me you are going to have the slow speeds you currently get for at least another 2 years and it could be 6 or 7 years if eir don't bring FTTH to you. My statistics are the exact same as yours. I feel your pain :mad: :eek:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Daragh, at least I know now not to be looking forward to it in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

daraghwal wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is really sure about how accurate the blue line is unfortunately. Maybe someone else on here knows but as far as I know it is more of a guide than anything else. From those figures, you are definitely connected to the E01 exchange so you can't get FTTC. You will have to just wait for either eir who may or may not service you, nobody knows at this stage, or the National Broadband Plan. Unfortunately, like me you are going to have the slow speeds you currently get for at least another 2 years and it could be 6 or 7 years if eir don't bring FTTH to you. My statistics are the exact same as yours. I feel your pain :mad: :eek:

Even if his line goes through copper cab BGE1_001 he'll get the same stats as if he was direct fed to BGE1_E01. All adsl connections are back to the exchange.

jd wrote: »
    Even if his line goes through copper cab BGE1_001 he'll get the same stats as if he was direct fed to BGE1_E01. All adsl connections are back to the exchange.

So for fiber to the cabinet it doesn't matter if your connected to a cabinet or an exchange?

All that matters is how far you are from an exchange, as far as the expected speed you will get?

Would they not be able to give him more speed than that if he was connected to 001? If I'm wrong you might have a chance when 001 goes live then!

For fibre to the cabinet -Vdsl- it certainly does make a difference to your speed. The point is you can't determine whether your line goes through a cabinet or directly back to the exchange from the Adsl stats.

For fibre to the cabinet -Vdsl- it certainly does make a difference to your speed. The point is you can't determine whether your line goes through a cabinet or directly back to the exchange from the Adsl stats.

But if your right beside a live cabinet will you get near the full 70mbps or do you need to be near the exchange?

But if your right beside a live cabinet will you get near the full 70mbps or do you need to be near the exchange?

If you are right beside a live vdsl cabinet, and your line goes through the original copper cabinet beside it, you should get close to the max

I assume (probably wrongly) that if the fibrerollout map is showing the Bridgend E01 exchange as going live on 11th May and the close 001 cabinet as still in the planning stage, and eir have told me that it will be available to me 11th May... then that would suggest I'm connected to the E01 directly?

I also assume that it's only on ordering that eir will check the distance and line suitability?

And thanks for the replies and PMs on this... you's are a fine friendly bunch in here.

Eir sales will go on the area, ignore what they've said you could be on either.

They can't read distance from cab to master socket until the cabs in, only the exchange to master.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mkristiansen

fibre rollout DOT ie SLASH where-and-when shows that I am not due to get FTTH (lines terminating ~1.5 Km north and ~1.5 south of my property) :(
    As such I believe NBP is going to be my saving grace... :-| for getting above the 10Mbps down / 684 Kbps up.

On www DOT opener DOT ie SLASH/ Our_Network I see that NGN Core is running literally across my house..
    Is that map actually showing the cable location or merely showing birds view distance point to point?
    If it is accurate - what should my expectations be around being able to connect in to Core? I understand this may not be practical.. But please entertain me and share what you know.

Any other information / advice pertaining to my broadband plight would also be welcomed

Thanks in advance

Advertisement