Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

fibre rollout DOT ie SLASH where-and-when shows that I am not due to get FTTH (lines terminating ~1.5 Km north and ~1.5 south of my property) :(
    As such I believe NBP is going to be my saving grace... :-| for getting above the 10Mbps down / 684 Kbps up.

On www DOT opener DOT ie SLASH/ Our_Network I see that NGN Core is running literally across my house..
    Is that map actually showing the cable location or merely showing birds view distance point to point?
    If it is accurate - what should my expectations be around being able to connect in to Core? I understand this may not be practical.. But please entertain me and share what you know.

Any other information / advice pertaining to my broadband plight would also be welcomed

Thanks in advance

I am pretty sure nobody is connected to the core fibre network, it connectsvup exchanges to each other without congestion between them. Also the cable lines on that map are more of an as the crow flies route rather than the actual. I live beside the core line and it just connects my local exchange to the next. Unfortunately you are looking at a pretty long wait for fibre that'll be rolled out as part of the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Alan4446

How close do you have to be to a cabinet for fibre? A cabin about 2km or so from my house is coming live on the 11th May and when I type my address in it says I'll be getting it on the 11th. I look at the map and there's a blue line from the cabinet to my house but will I not get it because I'm not close enough to the cabinet or are Eir just messing up on their projected dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Alan4446 wrote: »
    How close do you have to be to a cabinet for fibre? A cabin about 2km or so from my house is coming live on the 11th May and when I type my address in it says I'll be getting it on the 11th.
    The limit for Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) is 2km or 1.5km if the cabinet is located at the exchange. The speed you get is distance dependant so at the 2km limit the speed will be around 7 Mbps down/1 Mbps up (see p.131 of this eir document).
    Alan4446 wrote: »
    I look at the map and there's a blue line from the cabinet to my house but will I not get it because I'm not close enough to the cabinet or are Eir just messing up on their projected dates?

The blue lines represent future planned Fibre to the Home (FTTH) rural fibre routes not FTTC. Hover over Rural Fibre Routes at the top of the map for a description.

Your local cab going live on the 11th uses the existing copper cable to your house to provide fibre broadband, in future they plan to run fibre optic cable direct to houses (FTTH) along the blue lines. The government's proposed NBP will pay for FTTH infrastructure for those beyond the blue lines.

The first rural FTTH locations were recently announced - http://www.openeir.ie/news/First-rural-FTTH-locations-announced/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

(premises count in brackets)

Ballydangan, Co. Roscommon (66)
    Kilmacow, Co. Kilkenny (241)
    Murrisk, Co. Mayo (196)
    Omeath, Co. Louth (292)
    Tarbert, Co. Kerry (338)

A total of 1,133 premises were connected this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

After signing up a month ago on the dotted line for 45 fibre, I have a voice message today telling me it won't be available in my area for the forseeable future :/ Not a good start so far Eir... Our exchange was green and 'live' on the map, and after checking today it's gone back to blue with an 'within the next 6 weeks' message.

Several others have been connected in the area so I'm assuming they did those ones first as they were in more populated areas and have now moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Several others have been connected in the area so I'm assuming they did those ones first as they were in more populated areas and have now moved on.

same thing where I live - connected up to about 0.5km outward from the cabinet which is beside a housing estate.

I believe the range is up to 2km, and I'm at 1.5, but I cant get connected to fibre. And Im inside the blue zone on the Fulfilled by Commercial Operators by end of 2016 connections, but it seems its not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive a question. Since I moved house in December Ive checked every few weeks on Eir site to see if I could get broadband. I used the address search as there is no landline here. It always came back stating they could not complete the check and to call Eir customer care. I did, several times and every time they told me that there was no internet available on my local exchange.

I checked last week and it said "Great news Eir Fibre is enabled in your area". So I checked the map and it still shows as being available within 6 weeks. I phoned Eir and they said that my exchange will be Fibre enabled on 25th May. I gave them my neighbours phone number and they said that their line is currently able to get NGB at 12Mb and that it would go up in speed once 25th May Fibre upgrade takes place.

They were not able to explain to me how it was that they said there was no broadband in the area, despite me phoning twice regarding it in the last couple of months. As far as I know, my neighbours house is about 5.5km from local exchange. 12Mb seems awfully fast for that distance from the exchange, I googled VDSL speed over distance and it should be much lower than 12Mb. So I looked on the map that was created for VDSL and it doesnt show any exchanges anywhere near here. I thought maybe there was some other smaller cabinet or something closer, which I hoped would mean perhaps the FTTC on 25th would result in faster speeds here. My understanding is that FTTC only really benefits those within 3km from the cabinet, maybe even closer for decent speeds as the drop off is rapid.

Is there anywhere I can see cabinets in my area without having to speak to Eir? They are beyond bad and only interested in sales.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is there anywhere I can see cabinets in my area without having to speak to Eir? They are beyond bad and only interested in sales.

the only accurate map is
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

select 'all' to the right of the map to see exchange information.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice summary of homes/premises enabled over the past month

http://fibrerollout.ie/open-eir-adds-10000-new-premises-fibre-network-april-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I used the address search as there is no landline here.

This is next to useless. Dont use address prequalling, use your neighbours landline instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

As far as I know, my neighbours house is about 5.5km from local exchange. 12Mb seems awfully fast for that distance from the exchange, I googled VDSL speed over distance and it should be much lower than 12Mb. So I looked on the map that was created for VDSL and it doesnt show any exchanges anywhere near here. I thought maybe there was some other smaller cabinet or something closer, which I hoped would mean perhaps the FTTC on 25th would result in faster speeds here. My understanding is that FTTC only really benefits those within 3km from the cabinet, maybe even closer for decent speeds as the drop off is rapid.

eVDSL (unvectored from the exchange) has a range of 1.5KM - eir will not likely sell it to you beyond that.

VDSL (from a cabinet) and vectored eVDSL has a range of 2.0KM and at that range you would be on a 7/1Mbps profile.

While the signal may stretch a bit beyond 2KM, it would be unstable, so that's why they limit the ranges.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    eVDSL (unvectored from the exchange) has a range of 1.5KM - eir will not likely sell it to you beyond that.

VDSL (from a cabinet) and vectored eVDSL has a range of 2.0KM and at that range you would be on a 7/1Mbps profile.

While the signal may stretch a bit beyond 2KM, it would be unstable, so that's why they limit the ranges.

So if they are saying my neighbour, who is 75 metres from me (rural area)can get 12Mb right now, would that indicate there must be a cabinet near? I drove around there and did not see one, the maps I have looked at do not show the cabinets, they only show the exchange itself, which as I said, is about 5.5km away.

12Mb NGB = an exchange 2.5Km from you neighbour. It IS possible that your address is served 5.5KM from the east while he's served 2.5KM from the west depending on the local layout.

The line runs on a pole right past his house to mine....Im hoping that means Im only 75 metres further, or closer than he is. The exchange would likely be 75 metres closer to him.

Do you mind posting which exchange it is?

St Johnston, Co. Donegal

Exchange Information for ST JOHNSTON Exchange Code: STJ
    ADSL
    General
    Status
    Not Enabled

VDSL
    Jan-Mar'16
    Exchange Information for CARRIGANS Exchange Code: CNS
    ADSL
    General
    Enabled
    Yes
    DSL Service
    Max speed 24Mb (ADSL2)

VDSL
    Jan-Mar'16

So either its off STJ and thats recently received ADSL (NGB) or your neighbour is fed from CNS 3.8KM north east of it perhaps?

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

ED E wrote: »
    So either its off STJ and thats recently received ADSL (NGB) or your neighbour is fed from CNS 3.8KM north east of it perhaps?

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Im fairly sure of the direction of the line and its highly unlikely he would be on the Carrigans exchange, its a lot further away, the line would actually have to pass the St Johnston exchange to get to Carrigans.

I just want to know where the cabinet is, if there is one. I drove all the way to the area where the exchange is and I didnt see any green boxes.

Talking to the Eir Sales team is about as much use as asking my dog if I can get broadband. They have no information about anything, all they have is info related to getting a new sale.

I guess I will just have to be patient and see what happens when they enable it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Will I need to call Eir and arrange a date for a technician or will they ring me? Going live on Wednesday.

Thanks lads.

Has to be ordered, its a new product not an update on the existing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Has to be ordered, its a new product not an update on the existing.

Can you order off any provider once your fiber enabled or is it exclusive to Eir for a certain period?

Any provider, its regulated to be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Any provider, its regulated to be that way.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Yeah I've already ordered, I`ll await a call so :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dates for exchanges updated to 8th of June @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

marno21 wrote: »
    Dates for exchanges updated to 8th of June @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

Where do we see the dates?

Is it just the selected exchanges that now have live dates against them?

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Where do we see the dates?

Is it just the selected exchanges that now have live dates against them?
    Hover over an exchange, if it's to be done on or before June 8th, it will tell you that.

I wish they would update the fibre rural FTTH scheme on the map and show in a different colour the first 100,000 premises to be upgraded.

Also the Whereandwhen by county is out of date by months, no updates on locations or townlands and number of premises to be covered should also go into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all - "completion work in progress" and cabinets installed a few weeks back ....
    Any idea typically how close that is to being available?

• Advertisement

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all - "completion work in progress" and cabinets installed a few weeks back ....
    Any idea typically how close that is to being available?

None.

Sometimes its 2-3wks, theres on in Cork thats been at that point for more than four months.

Advertisement