Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

fecking kills me one of those cabs on the list that were enabled today is right outside my driveway, while they enjoy up to 100mb/s yet I'm connected to the one that's 1km away and can only get 15mb... grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 17 euphoria

I'd like to know what's going on in Corofin, Co.Clare.

The cabinet at the exchange is now live (CFN_EO1). Although I have seen Eir techs working at the other two cabinets (CFN1_001 & CFN_002), the status remains the same for both "fibre bb cabinet planned for this location".

Yet works are ongoing in Lahinch, Ennistymon & Miltown Malbay although no works had commenced in these locations while the build was in progress at the exchange in Corofin.

Eir gave me some excuse about the work that had to be done at each cabinet taking longer than others. I don't buy it.

Political interference is well & alive in rural Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

euphoria wrote:
    Eir gave me some excuse about the work that had to be done at each cabinet taking longer than others. I don't buy it.

That can be the case, quite often there can be delays in getting wayleaves/permission for electricity supply to cabs amongst other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

euphoria wrote: »
    I'd like to know what's going on in Corofin, Co.Clare.

The cabinet at the exchange is now live (CFN_EO1). Although I have seen Eir techs working at the other two cabinets (CFN1_001 & CFN_002), the status remains the same for both "fibre bb cabinet planned for this location".

Yet works are ongoing in Lahinch, Ennistymon & Miltown Malbay although no works had commenced in these locations while the build was in progress at the exchange in Corofin.

Political interference is well & alive in rural Ireland!!

Nonsense!

Eir are doing a commercial roll-out, their only concern is return on investment for their stockholders.
    If, for whatever reason, eir decides that Corofin is lower on the priority list than other locations, then tough luck.
    Welcome to the land of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Nonsense!

Eir are doing a commercial roll-out, their only concern is return on investment for their stockholders.
    If, for whatever reason, eir decides that Corofin is lower on the priority list than other locations, then tough luck.

Whilst I agree that Eir are doing what makes business sense and not really being effected by politics at all. I do think their planning of the rollout is a bit random to say the least. For FTTH it's just random exchanges that are getting scheduled for 2016, it doesn't seem to be either massively populated or rural areas they're picking. It's more of a mix of the two. Maybe this has something to do with the condition of these exchanges - i.e. amount of work that has to be done to prep them etc. I don't know.
    But if you're looking for any kind of logic from an end user prepective I'm afraid there doesn't seem to be any.
    Same thing happened with the FTTC rollout - I have a cabinet close to me and I'm not connected to it I go straight to the exchange like most of my neighbours. I can't figure out who is actually connected to this cabinet? It's there 3 years now with what can be only 4 or 5 house connected to it. I would love if they gave details on how many connections there are to those cabinets on their map - it might give an insight as to what they're doing. But to the untrained eye it all looks a bit hap hazard and random.

• Advertisement

damienirel wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that Eir are doing what makes business sense and not really being effected by politics at all. I do think their planning of the rollout is a bit random to say the least.

Only because we are not privy to the influences on their decisions, which at all times are commercially based.
    We never will have that information so trying to make sense of why they are doing things is pointless. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Again bang on Johnboy. We don't know if KNN have two extra crews based in Sligo but a shortage in Dublin, louth co are being difficult with PP but Kerry is processing quickly. We don't know where has the worst poles, or where the hedgerows weren't done before Mar31.

No point trying to second guess them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 euphoria

Nonsense!

Nonsense? Really? Corofin is one of the highest populated towns in north clare so as far return in investment there is no issue. The demand for fibre is huge. The town itself in now live but there a number of housing estates and rural areas which have not been catered for.

Oh...The town selected for the rural fibre pilot...Belcarra, Co.Mayo!! No political influence there though. Of course not.

Nonsense? Really? Corofin is one of the highest populated towns in north clare so as far return in investment there is no issue. The demand for fibre is huge. The town itself in now live but there a number of housing estates and rural areas which have not been catered for.

Oh...The town selected for the rural fibre pilot...Belcarra, Co.Mayo!! No political influence there though. Of course not.

As you have no idea what investment might be required, you have equally no idea what the return on that investment might be.

Have you considered the probability that there are other locations, that take less effort & investment, that achieve eir's immediate goals (whatever they might be), with more benefit to eir, than Corofin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Cornamona, Galway is a fine example. Already has ADSL2 but getting FTTH this year. Eamon O'Cuiv has strong links to the village.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Kilgarvan, too, without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Gorey, Co. Wexford was added to the map to get FTTH. It says 2016-2017. Is that timeframe anywhere else? It wasn't mentioned on the first 100,000... Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I suppose some of the senior management may have been there when Eir was Telcom Eireann and may still be receptive to a quite word with a local politican from their area.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Just saw McCann Cabling Solutions outside my local exchange this morning. Few cones on the road and it looked like yellow cables .

Didn't think they'd be working on a Sunday! Hoepfuly not too far away before it gets up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Didn't think they'd be working on a Sunday!

If they're obstructing the road it may be a CoCo requirement that they shut it down off peak.

ED E wrote: »
    If they're obstructing the road it may be a CoCo requirement that they shut it down off peak.

Spot on I'd say.

Internet went down for a while alright this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Spot on I'd say.

Internet went down for a while alright this morning.

I think Ed E meant the road shutting down...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    I think Ed E meant the road shutting down...

I'm half asleep :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Map updated @ http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/.

Exchange dates now available up to 29 June, and rough dates for the first FTTH connections are also up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

marno21 wrote: »

Exchange dates now available up to 29 June, and rough dates for the first FTTH connections are also up.

Says 22 June Cabinet live for me. They told me 5 to 10 days? Listed for FTTH 2017-2020 now.

3900 can access FTTH in wexford now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

marno21 wrote: »

I notice some of the FTTH dates may have slipped. My own exchange had said Winter 2016, it now says Winter 2016/17.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

Kilrush, Co. Clare (1154)
    Oilgate, Co. Wexford (111)

(premises count in brackets)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Cloyne, Co. Cork, cab 001 (96)
    Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny, cab 053, 054 (353)
    Turloughmore, Co. Galway, cab 001 (191)
    Mountmellick, Co. Laois, cab 011 (97)
    Glendalough, Co. Wicklow, cab 001 (52)
    Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow, cab 001 (245)
    Shillelagh, Co. Wicklow, cab 001 (72)

A total of 3,317 premises were enabled this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

I notice some of the FTTH dates may have slipped. My own exchange had said Winter 2016, it now says Winter 2016/17.

I also noticed this yesterday on my own area! So does this mean it will definitely roll out to next year, or is this just a generic update on the site?

chewed wrote: »
    I also noticed this yesterday on my own area! So does this mean it will definitely roll out to next year, or is this just a generic update on the site?

I'd say you'll definitely have it by next March, could be earlier seeing as they updated the site so specifically as Winter 2016 and Winter 2016/17 for others. Then it's either 2017-2020 or NBP for the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    My local exchange has just got some racks upgraded from ADSL to ADSL2+. Looks like they finally got some old equipment from elsewhere to put in it. So a nice jump in my upload and download. Kinda surprised me as it was so unexpected!

At least that's some comfort to take away the pain of the next smaller village getting FTTH in a few months. It already runs ADSL2+ and has just gone live with eVDSL... (TD involvement for sure...)

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    My local exchange has just got some racks upgraded from ADSL to ADSL2+. Looks like they finally got some old equipment from elsewhere to put in it. So a nice jump in my upload and download. Kinda surprised me as it was so unexpected!

At least that's some comfort to take away the pain of the next smaller village getting FTTH in a few months. It already runs ADSL2+ and has just gone live with eVDSL... (TD involvement for sure...)

Do they just upgrade people from ADSL to ADSL2+ automatically when it becomes available?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

daraghwal wrote: »
    I'd say you'll definitely have it by next March, could be earlier seeing as they updated the site so specifically as Winter 2016 and Winter 2016/17 for others. Then it's either 2017-2020 or NBP for the rest of us!

I Just checked the site again this morning and it's back again to "Winter 2016"! :confused:

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    I Just checked the site again this morning and it's back again to "Winter 2016"! :confused:

That's strange but good news for you! They seem to be updating the map a lot the last few weeks

Advertisement