Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

deejer wrote: »
    Ya same as the EIR website. The standard 4Mb.

Well you might see a bit more stability on it as people closer in switch to eir fibre, but you won't get more than that.

Have you made inquiries with Imagine to see if they plan to deliver their LTE service in your area?

If they have no current plans, then are you on one of the (in)famous eir blue lines by any chance?

If not, then you'll have to wait until the NBP comes knocking - so that WISP might be your best option for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Fire your number in here and see what it gives you.

Question regarding that line check if I may.

Pre fiber I was getting a reading of 15mb from it and now a month later and I have eFibre (connected at said 15mb) it's saying 100mb.

So um... what's up there?

Think it's just guess work myself as my own router is saying it could do 33mb down ...

god's toy wrote: »
    Question regarding that line check if I may.

Pre fiber I was getting a reading of 15mb from it and now a month later and I have eFibre (connected at said 15mb) it's saying 100mb.

So um... what's up there?

Think it's just guess work myself as my own router is saying it could do 33mb down ...

The figures that are spat out by the checker come from Open eir's pre-qualification database. I think they run a test on the line to determine what speed it is capable of and log it there. It's not always correct :rolleyes:, but it usually is spot on. It does get updated occasionally.

Can you log in to your modem and get the downstream attenuation figure from the status/statistics page. We can use this to determine exactly how far you are from the cab/exchange and what your line should be capable of.

The figures that are spat out by the checker come from Open eir's pre-qualification database. I think they run a test on the line to determine what speed it is capable of and log it there. It's not always correct :rolleyes:, but it usually is spot on. It does get updated occasionally.

Can you log in to your modem and get the downstream attenuation figure from the status/statistics page. We can use this to determine exactly how far you are from the cab/exchange and what your line should be capable of.

Downstream attenuation 22.9 dB

i'm about 960M away from cab (Crow flies) but with cable routing its about 1200M to 1400M

Modem reporting maximum downstream rate of 34136 (kbit/s): (connected at 15) but I would say its a lot less... maybe push to 20mb .

It's just funny that that BT site changes like the wind ... still saying 100mb... Oh its so wrong..

god's toy wrote: »
    Downstream attenuation 22.9 dB

i'm about 960M away from cab (Crow flies) but with cable routing its about 1200M to 1400M

Modem reporting maximum downstream rate of 34136 (kbit/s): (connected at 15) but I would say its a lot less... maybe push to 20mb .

It's just funny that that BT site changes like the wind ... still saying 100mb... Oh its so wrong..

That figures puts you at ~1650m, which is coming out at maximum of 20Mbps for VDSL2.

It's possible that there may be a small fault on the line which is causing you to appear farther than you think you are, but you sure as hell ain't gonna get 100Mbps! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why the modem thinks you can go faster, but you are probably connected on a stable profile. You could probably call them and ask to be moved up to 20Mbps, but if it gets unstable (disconnects and the like), then move back to the 15Mbps.

• Advertisement

That figures puts you at ~1650m, which is coming out at maximum of 20Mbps for VDSL2.

It's possible that there may be a small fault on the line which is causing you to appear farther than you think you are, but you sure as hell ain't gonna get 100Mbps! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why the modem thinks you can go faster, but you are probably connected on a stable profile. You could probably call them and ask to be moved up to 20Mbps, but if it gets unstable (disconnects and the like), then move back to the 15Mbps.

Yep I had come to a similar conclusion myself. Don't trust that bt site as it changes a lot (for me anyway) ... Still saying 100mb btw. I'm happy on 15 as its working and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its possible you've a partial dis(break) that could fool the MTAU but still provide service. A regular POTS test would show the low capacitance for a tech bothered to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Just need some clarification pls. Eir are soon to run FTTH in my area. Question, what sort of pricing will there be? I know they're talking about up to 1000mb/s but I guess that will the 'top' premium offer at some extra cost. Will there be scaled down speeds available at lower prices. Don't need 1000Mb, 20-30 would be far superior than the 0.5MB I have at the moment.
    PS. I've never seen so many utility vehicles in the Tralee up to now. Eir, Siro & many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

If they have no current plans, then are you on one of the (in)famous eir blue lines by any chance?

I just checked the map and one of these blue lines are passing by my house, are there any detailed time frames available rather than 2020?

Just need some clarification pls. Eir are soon to run FTTH in my area. Question, what sort of pricing will there be? I know they're talking about up to 1000mb/s but I guess that will the 'top' premium offer at some extra cost. Will there be scaled down speeds available at lower prices. Don't need 1000Mb, 20-30 would be far superior than the 0.5MB I have at the moment.
    PS. I've never seen so many utility vehicles in the Tralee up to now. Eir, Siro & many more.

150Mb is the basic package.

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    I just checked the map and one of these blue lines are passing by my house, are there any detailed time frames available rather than 2020?

If you're in one of these locations, you could have it by March 2017 ... otherwise sometime by 2020 for you.

Although, if Open eir wins one or both parts of the NBP, that could change that (and god only knows what that change would be).

ED E wrote: »
    150Mb is the basic package.

And it looks like it's €75pm for it - but it's got a call package - I can't find a Broadband only package, so if one exists, it might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Question, what sort of pricing will there be? I know they're talking about up to 1000mb/s but I guess that will the 'top' premium offer at some extra cost. Will there be scaled down speeds available at lower prices. Don't need 1000Mb, 20-30 would be far superior than the 0.5MB I have at the moment.

FTTH packages/picing, standalone or with phoneline (with phoneline add line-rental)
    eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb
    eir Fibre Extreme 300Mb
    eir Fibre Extreme 1000Mb

in8saf.jpg

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

If you're in one of these locations, you could have it by March 2017 ... otherwise sometime by 2020 for you.

Although, if Open eir wins one or both parts of the NBP, that could change that (and god only knows what that change would be).
    Im sure Eir will definitely win one of the lots.it then between siro and Enet for the other I'm rooting for siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It could get very interesting indeed. If looks like every house in the NBP will be given a date for expected connection. Assuming one contract does not go to Eir, we will probably see EIR make a dramatic effort to cherry pick houses to connect up before those dates thereby removing them from the plan. It looks like each house will have a cost of connection attached to it, so the contract should be very flexible for removing individual homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Typical. I'm always so close but so far from getting something decent. Julianstown is 2km from my house, not a hope will I be included in that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Patrickswell, Co.Limerick is listed and the blue line passes my door so fingers crossed for March 2017 !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

(premises count in brackets)

Abbeyfeale, Co. Limerick (838)
    Ballingeary, Co. Cork (154)
    Castletownbere, Co. Cork (873*)
    Cuffesgrange, Co. Kilkenny (598)
    Ennistymon, Co. Clare (451)
    Gurtnahoe, Co. Tipperary (151)
    Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork (140)
    Kilcormac, Co. Offaly (461)
    Kilfenora, Co. Clare (157)
    Kilmore Quay, Co. Wexford (175)
    Lahinch, Co. Clare (493)
    Leap, Co. Cork (229)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Balla, Co. Mayo, cab 002 (53)
    Ballyheigue, Co. Kerry, cab 001, 002 (309)
    Borrisokane, Co. Tipperary, cab 002 (174)
    Castledermot, Co. Kildare, cab 005 (136)
    Castletownbere, Co. Cork, cab 001, 002, 003, 004 (873*)
    Glenties, Co. Donegal, cab 001 (256)
    Milltown, Co. Galway, cab 002 (65)
    Oldcastle, Co. Meath, cab 004 (43)
    Strandhill, Co. Sligo, cab 002 (56)
    Watergrasshill, Co. Cork, cab 002 (25)

*combined figure between exchange cab & additional cabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Anyone having problems with their connection tonight? Been 40/10 solid since I got it a couple months ago. Ping 4x higher too

5460170110.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

So our exchange went live yesterday, stats from modem now read, so is my line now worse than before, looks like it as the profile has changed.

Connection
    broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode : ITU G.992.1(G.DMT)
    Speed: 3968 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 45.5 dB/ 27.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.0 dB/ 19.0 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.43.187.194
    IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway: 159.134.155.8
    IPv6 Address: ::
    IPv6 Prefix: 0
    IPv6 Default Gateway: ::
    Primary DNS: 159.134.0.1
    Secandary DNS: 159.134.0.2
    3G Status: NoDevice
    3G Rate: N/A
    3G IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    3G IP Subnet Mask: N/A
    3G Gateway: N/A

funnyname wrote: »
    Local exchange is getting upgraded to fibre sometime next year. We're about 4km from it, any chance we'd get a small boost from the upgrade?

369442.png

• Advertisement

So our exchange went live yesterday, stats from modem now read, so is my line now worse than before, looks like it as the profile has changed.

Connection
    Speed: 3968 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 45.5 dB/ 27.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.0 dB/ 19.0 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.43.187.194

That shows you at 3.3KM and should be getting 6Mbps on ADSL and 7Mbps on ADSL2+.

Your previous stats show you at 2.8KM and getting 7Mbps on ADSL and 9Mbps on ADSL2+.

Have you rebooted the modem? If not try it and if you get the same results, I'd suggest logging a service call. They may have accidentally touched your connection and introduced fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭emy50

Any idea whats happening with commencement of Fibre services in Oilgate?

OYG1_002 seems to be "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress" for a long time now?

Yeah, thats more than an insignificant change, something caused that attenuation to rise.

You havent moved the modem within the house since the previous post?

just rebooted to get the following

Connection has been bad for the last couple of months. We live at the end of a 300m boreen. Around that time some engineers were doing some work at the beginning of the road at a eircom manhole cover, looked like it was for the neighbours but I guess it could have affected us too.

Connection
    Speed: 4192 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 45.0 dB/ 26.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.5 dB/ 19.0 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.46.208.47
    3G Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    3G Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

That shows you at 3.3KM and should be getting 6Mbps on ADSL and 7Mbps on ADSL2+.

Your previous stats show you at 2.8KM and getting 7Mbps on ADSL and 9Mbps on ADSL2+.

Have you rebooted the modem? If not try it and if you get the same results, I'd suggest logging a service call. They may have accidentally touched your connection and introduced fault.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, thats more than an insignificant change, something caused that attenuation to rise.

You havent moved the modem within the house since the previous post?

Original data from the sitting room, latest data from the main access point (white box with separate points for BB and phone) in the hall

just rebooted to get the following

Connection has been bad for the last couple of months. We live at the end of a 300m boreen. Around that time some engineers were doing some work at the beginning of the road at a eircom manhole cover, looked like it was for the neighbours but I guess it could have affected us too.

Connection
    Speed: 4192 kbps/512 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 45.0 dB/ 26.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9.5 dB/ 19.0 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.46.208.47
    3G Primary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    3G Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0

A tiny improvement on the earlier one. Reboot did SFA really.

I'd log a call - maybe mention there's crackling on the line, it should get a proper engineer type to look at it.

A tiny improvement on the earlier one. Reboot did SFA really.

I'd log a call - maybe mention there's crackling on the line, it should get a proper engineer type to look at it.

I logged a call a few weeks ago and an engineer was assigned to look at it but he just provided a new modem and checked the line from his own system.

What can be done (both physically and from ground control) to check the validity of the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

emy50 wrote: »
    Any idea whats happening with commencement of Fibre services in Oilgate?

OYG1_002 seems to be "Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress" for a long time now?

The main exchange is 110 premises in this exchange can now access up to 70Mb/s fibre broadband. open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1000Mb/s includes premises in this exchange area. I seen KN doing a lot of work in Oilgate recently but to be honest, there is just no way of knowing and it could be months away unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

pegasus1 wrote: »
    ctlsleh wrote: »
    Still not showing any plan for a site in Ennis despite the blue lines, should we expect anything in the next 5 years?
    Have you heard of the NBP?

Well yes, but I live in suburban Ennis, and there's very little fiber plant being shown on the current EIr map, even in the town centre they are only indicating 1,200 sites being connected with fiber.......

I would have expected that in a medium sized town, with its own large exchange site they would be building fiber from there......they could easily support 20K subs in a 15KM radius, not a big deal from a GPON perspective, and they already have the ducts......just sayin!

I guess I'll have to wait for NBP, if it ever happens.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭emy50

daraghwal wrote: »
    The main exchange is 110 premises in this exchange can now access up to 70Mb/s fibre broadband. open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1000Mb/s includes premises in this exchange area. I seen KN doing a lot of work in Oilgate recently but to be honest, there is just no way of knowing and it could be months away unfortunately

:mad:
    disappointed but not surprised

I was on the verge of signing up for a broadband plan 18 months ago on a promise from a Eir sales person that Fibre would land in the area in Jan/Feb 2015, so glad I didn't!

At this rate is could be 2017 before Fibre is delivered

Advertisement