Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Headford exchange in Kerry has gone from build commenced to nothing. Clicking all in the menu doesn't even bring up the blue marker that says build planned. It doesn't seem like good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldnt be surprised if HSQ did half an update then went home for the weekend leaving the maps in a transitionary state. Wait till Monday and see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

superloopy wrote: »
    Headford exchange in Kerry has gone from build commenced to nothing. Clicking all in the menu doesn't even bring up the blue marker that says build planned. It doesn't seem like good news.
    Seeing as that's the closest FTTH exchange to me, I noticed that too, I'm hoping it's an error and that there's nothing actually being pulled.

The Headford exchange has a huge footprint across Barraduff - Headford - Glenflesk so would be a massive leap forward for a semi rural area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

marno21 wrote: »
    Seeing as that's the closest FTTH exchange to me, I noticed that too, I'm hoping it's an error and that there's nothing actually being pulled.

The Headford exchange has a huge footprint across Barraduff - Headford - Glenflesk so would be a massive leap forward for a semi rural area.

Why would they half update the map?? and then piss off home? the more prudent approach would be too leave it alone - they're toying with us up their in the big smoke with their 10g connections - laughin' at us country folk down the pub this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

damienirel wrote: »
    Why would they half update the map?? and then piss off home? the more prudent approach would be too leave it alone - they're toying with us up their in the big smoke with their 10g connections - laughin' at us country folk down the pub this evening!

Cmere... I'm living in Lucan in Dublin and LCN1_024, my closest cabinet is the only one in the area that is at planned, the rest are LIVE or at completion stage!!! And no date at all for it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

All three exchanges in my local town now upgraded. Was waiting for the one nearest me (5 minutes walk away) to go live. However, I'm still getting 12Mbps max.

How does this normally run? Is there a time lapse between the exchange going live and that converting to actual gains for subscribers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

All three exchanges in my local town now upgraded. Was waiting for the one nearest me (5 minutes walk away) to go live. However, I'm still getting 12Mbps max.

How does this normally run? Is there a time lapse between the exchange going live and that converting to actual gains for subscribers?

I presume you mean cabinets, not exchanges. Anyway, you have to order an upgrade, vdsl is not the same as adsl, and you will need a new cpe ( modem) and main socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

jd wrote: »
    I presume you mean cabinets, not exchanges. Anyway, you have to order an upgrade, vdsl is not the same as adsl, and you will need a new cpe ( modem) and main socket.
    Yes, of course I meant cabinets - apologies.

I'm with vodafone at the moment. Will this mean a new contract? Will there be additional cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I'd say it's a new contract to cover the installation costs. Best thing is to go to http://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/?icmp=homepage-converged-module-bb or ring them

You can check your attainables at
    http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

My local cabinet CFD1_001 (just north of Coachford, Co.Cork) has just gone live in the past week. I'm only aware of this from http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

I have received no notification yet that fibre is available to my property and am still struggling with a 1.5MB connection.

My house is about 2km from the cabinet. However according to the map FTTH has been laid going past my front door. I've physically seen the cables and poles being upgraded.

Two questions :
    1) When should I expect to be able to order fibre ? According to eir.ie I can't order it yet.

2) Will I get decent speeds considering I am 2km from the cabinet, seeing as it will be all fibre between me and the cabinet ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

radar0976 wrote: »
    My local cabinet CFD1_001 (just north of Coachford, Co.Cork) has just gone live in the past week. I'm only aware of this from http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

I have received no notification yet that fibre is available to my property and am still struggling with a 1.5MB connection.

My house is about 2km from the cabinet. However according to the map FTTH has been laid going past my front door. I've physically seen the cables and poles being upgraded.

Two questions :
    1) When should I expect to be able to order fibre ? According to eir.ie I can't order it yet.

2) Will I get decent speeds considering I am 2km from the cabinet, seeing as it will be all fibre between me and the cabinet ?

at 2km from the cabinet you will get a 7meg download and 1 meg upload, but only if you are directly connected to that cabinet. If you are connected directly to the exchange then you will have to stay on what you have now.

As for the rural FTTH, nowhere is live for that yet. It's still in the process of development, the first 100,000 homes/premise will be switched on over the next 10 months or so, If your exchange is listed then you should have FTTH by next March/April if the blue line is running directly past your gate. https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-reveals-first-100k-rural-locations-to-get-1gbps-broadband

list of Cork exchanges for rural FTTH by next March/April:
    Cobh 420
    Midleton 530
    Youghal 330
    Blarney 510
    Carrigtwohill 460
    Crosshaven 140
    Ringaskiddy 160
    Macroom West 130
    Whitegate 840
    Ballyclough 510
    Kildorrery 660
    Ballincollig 450
    Carrigaline 300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

radar0976 wrote: »
    My house is about 2km from the cabinet.
    If that's by the road etc..then the distance will be greater...you need to take account distance into peoples houses etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Irishcure

Hi guys,

Firstly thank you so much for the updates you give on the broadband cabinets. It gives us all hope :-)

Just wondering as some people here (particularly Gonzo Marno) seem to be very much in the know. Have I any way of finding a date for our cabinet (NRT1_003) do you know?
    Seems there is some movement there but have not been able to nab the guys when they are working at the site.

If anyone can help out with information I would greatly appreciate it.

many thanks
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Irishcure wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Firstly thank you so much for the updates you give on the broadband cabinets. It gives us all hope :-)

Just wondering as some people here (particularly Gonzo Marno) seem to be very much in the know. Have I any way of finding a date for our cabinet (NRT1_003) do you know?
    Seems there is some movement there but have not been able to nab the guys when they are working at the site.

If anyone can help out with information I would greatly appreciate it.

many thanks
    Tony

You've been a member long enough to know that you shouldn't spam threads. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:
    Ashmount, Co. Cork (10)
    Bruree, Co. Limerick (536)
    Ballygar, Co. Galway (464)
    Ballygarvan, Co. Cork (153)
    Castleplunkett, Co. Roscommon (75)
    Doneraile, Co. Cork (338)
    Drumcollogher, Co. Limerick (386)
    Ferrybridge, Co. Galway (123)
    Martinstown, Co. Limerick (202)
    Murroe, Co. Limerick (657)
    Macroom West, Co. Cork (356)
    Newbridge, Co. Galway (345)
    Newtownshandrum, Co. Cork (382)
    Rosses Point, Co. Sligo (471)
    Waterville, Co. Kerry (516)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:
    Abbeyfeale, Co. Limerick, cab 001 (222)
    Ardrew, Co. Kildare, cab 007 (178)
    Ballickmoyler, Co. Laois, cab 001 (121)
    Ballybunion, Co. Kerry, cab 002 (438)
    Ballymoe, Co. Galway, cab 001 (36)
    Clarina, Co. Limerick, cab 001 (150)
    Granard, Co. Longford, cab 002 (174)
    Lixnaw, Co. Kerry, cab 002 (150)
    Mervue, Co. Galway, cab 025 (58)
    Ravensdale, Co. Louth, cab 001 (109)
    Schull, Co. Cork, cab 001 (313)

A total of 8,500 premises were enabled in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My exchange is listed above and rand Vodafone to put in my order this morning :)

Could be waiting 15 days though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

My exchange is listed above and rand Vodafone to put in my order this morning :)

Could be waiting 15 days though :(

God love ya

Large KNN crew working on the north side of Sligo town, looks like they're blowing fibre through the ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Towards the end of the month for my cabinet going live apparently. It'd be a great way to end the summer. :)

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

Baltimore, Co. Cork (461)
    Ballintogher, Co. Sligo (206)
    Clonbur, Co. Galway (12)
    Dromin, Co. Tipperary (71)
    Laghy, Co. Donegal (144)
    Milford, Co. Cork (303)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:
    Abbeyfeale, Co. Limerick, cab 002 (200)
    Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon, cab 004 (145)
    Clane, Co. Kildare, cab 018 (96)
    Piltown, Co. Kilkenny, cab 004 (81)

A total of 1,780 premises were enabled in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much less than other weeks I wonder why.

The FTTC rollout is now majorly complete with only 68 exchanges left to do, and several cabinets attached to enabled exchanges.

Open Eir have put the rest on the backburner with dates available for the enabling of only one of these exchanges, which was deferred from August 3rd.

Here's what's left

Munster:

Clare: Ballyalla, Bridgetown, Milltown Malbay, Mullagh
    Cork: Clonakilty West, Cork Airport, Cork Airport Industrial Estate, Farmers Cross, Mallow AEH Yard, Rushbrooke
    Kerry: Faha Cross, Milltown
    Limerick: Castlemahon, Fedamore, Hospital, Kilfinane, Knocklong
    Tipperary: Ballylooby, Cappawhite, Kilcommon, New Inn, Newcastle Village, Rearcross
    Waterford: Ballymacarbry, Waterford Airport

Connacht:

Galway: Carnmore, Kinvara, Roscam
    Leitrim: Carrigallen, Cloone, Glenfarne, Kinlough, Leitrim Village, Rossinver
    Mayo: Ballindine, Belmullet, Cloonagh, Glenamoy, Laherdane, Newport
    Roscommon: Fourmilehouse
    Sligo: Ballygawley, Calry, Coolaney, Dromard

Ulster:
    Donegal: Doire Chonnaire, Dunfanaghy (3/8 originally - postponed to 31/8), Killen, Linsfort
    Rollout complete in Cavan and Monaghan.

Leinster:
    Dublin: Dublin Airport, Farmleigh, Heuston South Quarter
    Kilkenny: Loughboy
    Longford: Drumlish, Killashee
    Louth: Tullyallen
    Meath: Bohermeen, Hill of Down, Longwood
    Offaly: Ballinagar, Gracefield, Mucklagh
    Westmeath: Milltownpass
    Wexford: Barntown, Beechgrove, Castlebridge
    Wicklow: Glencullen, Powerscourt

Rollout complete in Carlow, Kildare and Laois.

TOTALS
    Connacht: 20
    Munster: 25
    Leinster: 19
    Ulster: 4

Nationwide: 68

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

How many exchanges or ghost exchanges such as we have in Kells, Kilkenny still in the doldrums stuck on ADSL?

pegasus1 wrote: »
    How many exchanges or ghost exchanges such as we have in Kells, Kilkenny still in the doldrums stuck on ADSL?
    Quite a lot, a handful however will skip the FTTC rollout and go direct to FTTH this year/early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think it's mad that HSQ hasn't been done given it;s where the HQ is.

I think it's mad that HSQ hasn't been done given it;s where the HQ is.

There's no market there and a lot of awkward civils to be done. CRA covers most of the area and there's plenty of fibre circuits there for the businesses. Its a small bit of fill in thats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

This might be a silly question but my exchange was supposedly fibre enabled last week. Before this our exchanged hanged off another exchange in the next town be radio link only. Should there have been an improvement in speed when the exchange was now connected on a fibre loop rather than the radio link even before enabling fibre at the house? We are luck to get 1Mb in the evenings It is mostly around .5Mb.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    This might be a silly question but my exchange was supposedly fibre enabled last week. Before this our exchanged hanged off another exchange in the next town be radio link only. Should there have been an improvement in speed when the exchange was now connected on a fibre loop rather than the radio link even before enabling fibre at the house? We are luck to get 1Mb in the evenings It is mostly around .5Mb.

Its called an NGB rehome and is made possible by the works you mentioned but doesnt appear to be done straight away as a matter of procedure, more if/when they feel like it.

Now you'll see a big difference between Peak and OffPeak, once its done itll perform identically 24/7. In the meantime it might become gradually better as more people in the area move to eFibre and thus take load off the ATM radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

ED E wrote: »
    Its called an NGB rehome and is made possible by the works you mentioned but doesnt appear to be done straight away as a matter of procedure, more if/when they feel like it.

Now you'll see a big difference between Peak and OffPeak, once its done itll perform identically 24/7. In the meantime it might become gradually better as more people in the area move to eFibre and thus take load off the ATM radio.

Thanks for the info. I'm expecting Eir on Friday to install fibre anyway but I have not heard a word from them since I signed up online and I was wondering if they did not actually enable the exchange yet.

Thanks again and I'll be hopeful for Friday.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »

Took about 6 weeks on our local exchange

Advertisement