Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

h3000 wrote: »
    This might be a silly question but my exchange was supposedly fibre enabled last week. Before this our exchanged hanged off another exchange in the next town be radio link only. Should there have been an improvement in speed when the exchange was now connected on a fibre loop rather than the radio link even before enabling fibre at the house? We are luck to get 1Mb in the evenings It is mostly around .5Mb.

Are you referring to the Murroe exchange? If so my brother is connected to the exchange for ADSL but too far for fibre, no change to speeds even though it went live last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The Cush wrote: »
    Are you referring to the Murroe exchange? If so my brother is connected to the exchange for ADSL but too far for fibre, no change to speeds even though it went live last week.

I am indeed. It's painful how slow it is. Hopefully your brother will see an improvement in the near future.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

marno21 wrote: »
    The FTTC rollout is now majorly complete with only 68 exchanges left to do, and several cabinets attached to enabled exchanges.

Open Eir have put the rest on the backburner with dates available for the enabling of only one of these exchanges, which was deferred from August 3rd.

Do you reckon with whats left of the FTTC rollout deferred till later dates that the rural FTTH will gain much more momentum starting this week/next week? Hopefully we'll see the wiring process starting in many locations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gonzo wrote: »
    Do you reckon with whats left of the FTTC rollout deferred till later dates that the rural FTTH will gain much more momentum starting this week/next week? Hopefully we'll see the wiring process starting in many locations.
    I think the amount of workers stationed on the FTTC rollout will be reduced drastically - and they will be reassigned to the FTTH rollout.

A lot of what's left on the FTTC rollout is small exchanges, and possibly exchanges with issues. There's still a few additional cabs to be done too but imho momentum will now be strongly transfered to the FTTH rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The FTTC rollout is now majorly complete with only 68 exchanges left to do, and several cabinets attached to enabled exchanges.

Open Eir have put the rest on the backburner

Hi Marmo21, any idea what the backburner means in practical terms?
    I'm on one of the Galway exchanges and for 2+ years Eir have been telling me ~6 weeks to fibre....Should i just give up at this stage and wait for FTTH...?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you haven't been done yet its likely there was a delaying factor. Your CoCo wont tell you but its not unlikely they said no to PP or a civils licence.

EDIT: When did I forget how to type...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I think the amount of workers stationed on the FTTC rollout will be reduced drastically - and they will be reassigned to the FTTH rollout.

A lot of what's left on the FTTC rollout is small exchanges, and possibly exchanges with issues. There's still a few additional cabs to be done too but imho momentum will now be strongly transfered to the FTTH rollout.

I for one will be happy with that development. Hopes of being connected to a cabinet have faded - its FTTH or NBP only for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

AidenL wrote: »
    I for one will be happy with that development. Hopes of being connected to a cabinet have faded - its FTTH or NBP only for me now.
    Have you check to see if you can get Imagine LTE up to 70mb

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

rob808 wrote: »
    Have you check to see if you can get Imagine LTE up to 70mb

I did - they aren't covering my area when I checked last - but might be worth rechecking. Thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just drove past my local cabs and noticed the DSL one is swinging open. Best way to report it?

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just drove past my local cabs and noticed the DSL one is swinging open. Best way to report it?

These lads:
    There is an area called the eircoms alterations and dangerous plant division who can be contacted on 1850 245 424

If its a VDSL one not a copper cab then theres significant amperage, they should act immediately to prevent liability and not fob it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ED E wrote: »
    These lads:

If its a VDSL one not a copper cab then theres significant amperage, they should act immediately to prevent liability and not fob it off.

Cheers, rang them & reported it. Might swing past again later to see if they acted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

Looks like fibre is now available to me!

Just wondering how accurate are the speed offerings?

I am less than 100m from the cabinet and am only being offered 30mb?

I am at the back of a small housing estate (less than 70 houses).
    Houses at the front look to be getting 80mb

Would there be that much falloff ... 80 to 30mb?

Thanks!
    Keith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looks like fibre is now available to me!

Just wondering how accurate are the speed offerings?

I am less than 100m from the cabinet and am only being offered 30mb?

I am at the back of a small housing estate (less than 70 houses).
    Houses at the front look to be getting 80mb

Would there be that much falloff ... 80 to 30mb?

Thanks!
    Keith.

depends on how much the copper line is stringed between your modem and the cabinet. As the crow flies you could be near the cabinet but the actual line length could be much longer.

Gonzo wrote: »
    depends on how much the copper line is stringed between your modem and the cabinet. As the crow flies you could be near the cabinet but the actual line length could be much longer.

As the crow flies I am less than 50 mitres

I am guessing the copper is taking the longer route ... but from 80 to 30 (same group of houses)?!

A neighbour's house (5 doors down same row) is being offered 60mb

Keith are you checking by address? If so forget it. Only tests based on landline numbers are of any merit.

Keith are you checking by address? If so forget it. Only tests based on landline numbers are of any merit.

No ... active numbers

h3000 wrote: »
    This might be a silly question but my exchange was supposedly fibre enabled last week. Before this our exchanged hanged off another exchange in the next town be radio link only. Should there have been an improvement in speed when the exchange was now connected on a fibre loop rather than the radio link even before enabling fibre at the house? We are luck to get 1Mb in the evenings It is mostly around .5Mb.
    Its called an NGB rehome and is made possible by the works you mentioned but doesnt appear to be done straight away as a matter of procedure, more if/when they feel like it.

Now you'll see a big difference between Peak and OffPeak, once its done itll perform identically 24/7. In the meantime it might become gradually better as more people in the area move to eFibre and thus take load off the ATM radio.

Confirmation that the local exchange went live recently, line checker details for the Garda Station beside the exchange
    Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 24 MB
    NGB Enabled: No
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 70 MB
    LLU Enabled: No

I assume "NGN Enabled: No" in the line checker details means the ADSL rack is still using the old radio link and not the new core fibre connection to the exchange.

Earlier today my brother's wife was working from home but the DSL connection was terrible, worse than normal for the time of day. Around the same time there were 4-5 KN vans parked outside the exchange.

I wonder if the drop in speed today had anything to do with moving the rack/lines?

It should be more binary, if they were working on it'd be either offline or online but not slow. Unless of course they were up on the mast sitting in the way.

That NGB flag is the indicator yes, but be aware it may not change instantly after the rehome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Unless of course they were up on the mast sitting in the way.

If they were to sit in front of the dish they would be cooked, if it wasnt turned off...

• Advertisement

It should be more binary, if they were working on it'd be either offline or online but not slow. Unless of course they were up on the mast sitting in the way.

Checked with them this morning, the internet connection was lost for periods yesterday. No improvement in connection speeds last night. Three KN vans at the exchange this morning.

pegasus1 wrote: »
    If they were to sit in front of the dish they would be cooked, if it wasnt turned off...

Most of these lads aren't known for being MENSA members ;)

A good way to tell if they've done something is 20ms+ shaved off your first hop(to the RAS).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

Ballindine, Co. Mayo (302)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:
    Ballymote, Co. Sligo, cab 003 (363)
    Clara, Co. Offaly, cab 002 & 003 (136)
    Curracloe, Co. Wexford, cab 003 (58)

A total of 1,410 premises were enabled this week.*

(open eir's figure, not sure where the additional 500 came from)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Towards the end of the month for my cabinet going live apparently. It'd be a great way to end the summer. :)

So after speaking to an engineer in the locality today it looks like this is actually happening! :D

Quick question - is there an increased cost for the fibre and what way does that work in relation to the current contract?

So after speaking to an engineer in the locality today it looks like this is actually happening! :D

Quick question - is there an increased cost for the fibre and what way does that work in relation to the current contract?

Did you ever think you'd have fibre broadband before Sunderland get relegated? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

New contract and in my case, my monthly will actually reduce by 5euro.

Depends

Yes, it pays the installation fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Did you ever think you'd have fibre broadband before Sunderland get relegated? :P

At least I will now get to see our struggles in buffer free, HD quality :pac:

Hi all,

Looking for advice on best provider to do the VDSL upgrade?

Eir - package too expensive €45 deal is good but if you use the phone (which we will) costs will go through the roof!

With Sky - great CS reasonable price, but install seems to be a 2 step process (Siera for the socket and KN for the cabinet work)

Thinking Vodafone ... KN full install. And €45 all in with anytime local/national calls

Any issues with Vofafone? Was with them years back and CS was poor alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advice on best provider to do the VDSL upgrade?

Eir - package too expensive €45 deal is good but if you use the phone (which we will) costs will go through the roof!

With Sky - great CS reasonable price, but install seems to be a 2 step process (Siera for the socket and KN for the cabinet work)

Thinking Vodafone ... KN full install. And €45 all in with anytime local/national calls

Any issues with Vofafone? Was with them years back and CS was poor alright.

We're using Vodafone (for non-fibre though), never really any major issues. Given our broadband is so slow though and there are no signs of upgrades (thanks, Eir) we don't really talk to support that much. They do tend to phone every so often though with new contract deals but they generally are better deals but be aware they of course are a new 12/18 month contract.

The only time we had a run in with them was when they magically changed the contract terms half way through it (they took away our free UK landline calls), after a few phone calls it appeared again for us and then for the next contract after that we had a bit knocked off it.

Advertisement