Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

3 new exchanges were added recently to the FTTC rollout map, bolded below. Here's the current state of affairs including dates:

Cork: Clonakilty West, Cork Airport, Cork Airport Industrial Estate, Farmers Cross, Mallow AEH Yard, Rushbrooke
    Kerry: Faha Cross, Milltown
    Limerick: Castlemahon, Fedamore, Hospital, Kilfinane, Knocklong
    Waterford: Ballymacarbry, Waterford Airport
    Clare: Ballyalla, Bridgetown, Bunratty, Milltown Malbay, Mullagh, O'Briens Bridge
    Tipperary: Ballylooby, Cappawhite, Kilcommon, New Inn, Newcastle Village, Rearcross

Galway: Carnmore, Kinvara, Roscam
    Mayo: Belmullet, Cloonagh, Glenamoy, Laherdane, Newport
    Roscommon: Fourmilehouse, Hodson Bay
    Sligo: Ballygawley, Calry, Coolaney, Dromard
    Leitrim: Carrigallen, Cloone, Glenfarne, Kinlough, Leitrim Village (7 September), Rossinver

Donegal: Doire Chonnaire, Dunfanaghy (3 August - postponed to 31 August), Killen, Linsfort

Dublin: Dublin Airport, Farmleigh (7 September), Heuston South Quarter
    Kilkenny: Loughboy
    Longford: Killashee, Drumlish:
    Louth: Tullyallen
    Meath: Bohermeen, Hill of Down, Longwood
    Offaly: Ballinagar, Gracefield, Mucklagh
    Wexford: Barntown, Beechgrove, Castlebridge
    Westmeath: Milltownpass
    Wicklow: Glencullen, Powerscourt

Totals:
    Munster: 27
    Connacht: 20
    Ulster: 4
    Leinster: 19
    Total natiowide: 70

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

is there any schedule around the light blue lines on the EIR fibre rollout map? all the exchanges and cabinets are up in my area but it looks like the actual lines are not. i'm in east cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

froog wrote: »
    is there any schedule around the light blue lines on the EIR fibre rollout map? all the exchanges and cabinets are up in my area but it looks like the actual lines are not. i'm in east cork.

Its only starting, VDSL is going over 2yrs. Dates may follow further into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

ED E wrote: »
    Its only starting, VDSL is going over 2yrs. Dates may follow further into it.

Forgive my ignorance but are the blue lines the extent / reach of the fttc?...or can we expect ftth where the blue lines show?

Must be one of the last few cabinets to be upgraded but finally got fttc - with engineer calling out to facilitate that (what is it they need to change? ...the modem I have is capable of working with the incoming connection.

If not, is there a new fibre rollout map for the next stage i.e. fibre to the home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Forgive my ignorance but are the blue lines the extent / reach of the fttc?...or can we expect ftth where the blue lines show?

Must be one of the last few cabinets to be upgraded but finally got fttc - with engineer calling out to facilitate that (what is it they need to change? ...the modem I have is capable of working with the incoming connection.

If not, is there a new fibre rollout map for the next stage i.e. fibre to the home?

Blue lines are Eir's 300,000 home fibre to the home rollout. If you are on the blue line you can safely assume you'll be getting 1gbps FTTH.

FTTC on those maps are marked by the little dots, dark green are active cabinets, light green are "in progress" (though some are in progress for a year or two at this rate).

If like myself you won't be getting any reasonable service from Eir you can safely assume you will be served by the National Broadband Plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Quick question on the FTTH. Might be how long is a piece of string but if the blue lines run across the entrance to a housing estate will Eir run FTTH to service each house in the estate?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

h3000 wrote: »
    Quick question on the FTTH. Might be how long is a piece of string but if the blue lines run across the entrance to a housing estate will Eir run FTTH to service each house in the estate?
    The two estates in our village has the lines entering and displaying on the roads on the map..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

it depend if your village has not got FTTC and is not getting it at all and your just on adsl like kilmessan in Meath then yea.The other way is if your in one of the 66 town eir doing FTTH or siro 50 towns.The only other way is if your estate bit out of the town or village that has FTTC and getting under 30mb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I could be wrong but even tho the line may run through or past an estate in an urban area, I dont think these estates will get FTTH as they should already be very well serviced by FTTC.

At my exchange the blue lines appear to run past several estates but none of them are being touched as they are properly serviced with a cabinet in each estate.

They could very well be serviced by FTTH in a future Eir plan but this plan is mainly for rural premises outside of towns that have poor broadband or none at all.

pegasus1 wrote: »
    The two estates in our village has the lines entering and displaying on the roads on the map..
    Just past our gate only.
    rob808 wrote: »
    it depend if your village has not got FTTC and is not getting it at all and your just on adsl like kilmessan in Meath then yea.The other way is if your in one of the 66 town eir doing FTTH or siro 50 towns.The only other way is if your estate bit out of the town or village that has FTTC and getting under 30mb.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    I could be wrong but even tho the line may run through or past an estate in an urban area, I dont think these estates will get FTTH as they should already be very well serviced by FTTC.

At my exchange the blue lines appear to run past several estates but none of them are being touched as they are properly serviced with a cabinet in each estate.

ThWe just recently got FTTC but as as I know we are connected straight to the exchange. They could very well be serviced by FTTH in a future Eir plan but this plan is mainly for rural premises outside of towns that have poor broadband or none at all.

We just recently got FTTC but as far as I know we are connected straight to the exchange. There are no cabinets throughout the village itself.

I have a 47Mbps connection since Saturday from .5Mbps so I'm fairly happy so far to say the least. 100 times increase will do but I'd really love a 1Gb connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Blue lines are Eir's 300,000 home fibre to the home rollout. If you are on the blue line you can safely assume you'll be getting 1gbps FTTH.

I wouldn't safely assume that open eir will deliver on the 300,000 home plan. Sure we haven't heard any more about their 66 town plan, which seems to have been supplanted by the blue lines. By Christmas we could have the Turquoise Triangle Plan for all we know, where a 3 square kilometre triangle is dropped over a Pokemon Gym and everybody within that area gets FTTH. :rolleyes:

I would suspect not, given that somebody was told by a KNN or Open eir body that where the blue line stops, it stops and if you live beyond it, you ain't getting it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We just recently got FTTC but as far as I know we are connected straight to the exchange. There are no cabinets throughout the village itself.

I have a 47Mbps connection since Saturday from .5Mbps so I'm fairly happy so far to say the least. 100 times increase will do but I'd really love a 1Gb connection.

Great to hear you got sorted, the ADSL rack is still on the radio link so no better there. Lots of activity around the exchange all last week, counted 6 vans one morning from KN/eir/others.

All lines go straight to the exchange, no roadside cabs.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I would suspect not, given that somebody was told by a KNN or Open eir body that where the blue line stops, it stops and if you live beyond it, you ain't getting it. :(

Yes I remember that post. Also IIRC they also ran an 800m feed to one house from a blue line, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99968563#post99968563.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OpenEir wrote:
    *Subject to change

Remember lads...

Nothing is set in stone until those little LOS and PON lights glow green.

I re-checked the map. The blue line passes on the main road along by the entrance to my estate. Distance from the head of the road to my house = 223 metres.

Will I still be getting FTTH?

What level of service is free either with FTTC or FTTH in terms of line speed?

Will I still be getting FTTH?

From what little we know now - no, but as posted in the post before yours - all speculation is *subject to change.

The Cush wrote: »
    Great to hear you got sorted, the ADSL rack is still on the radio link so no better there. Lots of activity around the exchange all last week, counted 6 vans one morning from KN/eir/others.

All lines go straight to the exchange, no roadside cabs.
    There have been a lot of engineers around alright. I taught the adsl rack would have been swapped over to the fibre backhaul but obviously not sadly.

My parents are about 1.6km from the exchange but we're hoping they might get some sort of improvement.

Will the upgrade of the exchange have any benefit for you?

From what little we know now - no, but as posted in the post before yours - all speculation is *subject to change.
    It's bizarre - as they seem to have run it down a row of old cottages further out from town (covering about 6 dwellings) - whereas if they had done that for our small estate instead for almost the same effort, it would have covered 30.

Did more recent estates (circa 2005) accommodate cabling? Perhaps its still possible for them to push the fibre through?

My parents are about 1.6km from the exchange but we're hoping they might get some sort of improvement.

Will the upgrade of the exchange have any benefit for you?

No, on Munster BB atm, brother on congested ADSL at 4km. Waiting to see what happens with ADSL before doing anything.

1.5km is the limit for eVDSL, hopefully stable uncongested ADSL if/when they move the rack to fibre.

No, on Munster BB atm, brother on congested ADSL at 4km. Waiting to see what happens with ADSL before doing anything.

1.5km is the limit for eVDSL, hopefully stable uncongested ADSL if/when they move the rack to fibre.
    Hopefully you and your brother might see some improvements in the coming weeks, even uncongested connection. What's Munster BB like these days?

Actually make a typo above my parents are 1.3km from the exchange. Fingers crossed they will get some improvement.

• Advertisement

What's Munster BB like these days?

We've had MBB since Ice BB went bust and they've been a pleasure to deal with since then, the only problem is the up to 3 Mbps speed.

My brothers ADSL connection syncs at 7, gets maybe 6 at good times but obviously drop away in the evening sub 1. We'd be happy with a stable 5-6 now once it goes uncongested.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

Hey all. Whats the fiber Cab with little mini Cab on top? See those installed in my area. Just wondering. They were just ordinary fibre green boxes, but now they have a little green box on top also.

Mark.

markmurphy wrote: »
    . Whats the fiber Cab with little mini Cab on top? See those installed in my area. Just wondering. They were just ordinary fibre green boxes, but now they have a little green box on top also.

To provide additional VDSL ports - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138390&page=66, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95566771#post95566771
    sparky63 wrote: »
    Its used to add an additional 200 pair copper link from the VDSL cabinet to the copper cabinet. Its called a top hat.

20rpf7l.jpg

while we are here..How do you know if the 1000mb is coming to your area? I have blue lines all over the place here!!

Does anyone have it? Any indications on when its coming? just says 2017-2020.

M.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

markmurphy wrote: »
    while we are here..How do you know if the 1000mb is coming to your area? I have blue lines all over the place here!!

Does anyone have it? Any indications on when its coming? just says 2017-2020.

M.

nowhere has it yet. Stage one of the works has started to 100,000 premises which includes hedge cutting, pole checking, ducting, manholes etc. Nowhere has been wired up yet. My area is down for autumn/winter 2016 and autumn begins at midnight tonight. No sign of any work being done this week so far, hopefully there will a much more increased level of work towards this project starting next week!

FTTH 1000mb has only been activated in a few towns across Ireland which form a different plan to the rural blue lines.

If your area says 2017-2020 then your in for a bit of a wait, maybe look and see if you can get Imagine LTE in the meantime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange premises were enabled in the last week:

Dunfanaghy, Co. Donegal (333)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Carrigart, Co. Donegal, cab 001 (349)
    Fahan, Co. Donegal, cab 002 (142)
    Littleton, Co. Tipperary, cab 005 (59)
    Oilgate, Co. Wexford, cab 001 (244)
    Wellington Bridge, Co. Wexford, cab 001 (137)

A total of 1,630 premises were enabled in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Gonzo wrote: »
    nowhere has it yet. Stage one of the works has started to 100,000 premises which includes hedge cutting, pole checking, ducting, manholes etc. Nowhere has been wired up yet. My area is down for autumn/winter 2016 and autumn begins at midnight tonight. No sign of any work being done this week so far, hopefully there will a much more increased level of work towards this project starting next week!

FTTH 1000mb has only been activated in a few towns across Ireland which form a different plan to the rural blue lines.

If your area says 2017-2020 then your in for a bit of a wait, maybe look and see if you can get Imagine LTE in the meantime.

Incorrect (apart from the blue lines bit), my area went live last week FTTH Drogheda area. the fibre is down and spliced since january tho, so its taken them 9 months to turn it on

4d6def8bf38f54021484315b64eb6a3e.png

dazdrog wrote: »
    Incorrect (apart from the blue lines bit), my area went live last week FTTH Drogheda area. the fibre is down and spliced since january tho, so its taken them 9 months to turn it on

I meant not available yet for the rural blue lines,

Drogheda is part of the 66 towns plan which has been ongoing for 2 years, it's also available in about 15 other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

dazdrog wrote: »

I sit here, dreaming, clicking on an screenshot of a "Buy Now" image, hoping that it will some how, magically work....:o

• Advertisement

I sit here, dreaming, clicking on an screenshot of a "Buy Now" image, hoping that it will some how, magically work....:o

what are you on at the moment? im on 40 down and 10 up...find it brilliant...
    1000 down would only be good if ya directly connected to the router...I find cant get past 30 meg on the wireless...but for uploads 100 would be great ..no major rush for me!

M.

Advertisement