Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

markmurphy wrote: »
    what are you on at the moment? im on 40 down and 10 up...find it brilliant...
    1000 down would only be good if ya directly connected to the router...I find cant get past 30 meg on the wireless...but for uploads 100 would be great ..no major rush for me!

M.

I'm not the poster but I too dream of being able to select buy now on 1gbps connection.

Currently on 1.7mbps down (roughly, depends on the day, sometimes 2mbps, sometimes 1mbps) and 0.2mbps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

I'm not the poster but I too dream of being able to select buy now on 1gbps connection.

Currently on 1.7mbps down (roughly, depends on the day, sometimes 2mbps, sometimes 1mbps) and 0.2mbps up.

you poor , poor crappy internet person! I know how ya feel. I had 3 meg for ages...suppose it was ok...and .5 up...you wont know yourself when you get upgraded..went from 7 meg (in the end) right up to 20, then it just kicked in at 40! yesssss..over a year 1/2 now....the upload is the big thing...no more buffering...I was messing around with 4K on youtube, they take a few seconds to buffer and sometimes slow down if someone else on internet, serious amount of data there...Savage pic. on a 4k display! waiting on a 12Gig download...taking ages..30 mins..zzzzzzzzz..but few other people on it at same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Wow. And I thought I had it bad!! :eek: Don't worry though, hang tight because the end (of your pain) is near! After years of messing around with crappy mobile dongles (of speeds around 2-5 down and 1-2up with pings of nearly 500 at times, not to mention data caps) and a completely unreliable satellite provider, I now have 43-46 down and 18-20 up with pings of 9 or 10 (and I'm delighted with those as I'm on a 50MB line). I have to say that I never thought I would see the day come, but it did and the place doesn't know what happened to it! :pac: When the commercial roll out and the NBP is finally complete, the whole country will be sorted for life and we'll look back and wonder how we ever coped without it.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Just got upgraded (via vodafone). Getting 35Mbps down and 18 Mbps up. Line rated to a max of 100Mbps. Is that the cap that vodafone would have put on it - or is it the max I can get?

I asked the technician if it would be long before we'd move from FTTC to FTTH. He said that they'd probably go for FTTH for rural areas next - as the take up on paying for the higher speeds (from fttc up to ftth) wasn't there ...ergo...people not prepared to pay for it.

In a bizarre twist, does that mean that rural dwellers could end up with faster broadband than urban dwellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Just got upgraded (via vodafone). Getting 35Mbps down and 18 Mbps up. Line rated to a max of 100Mbps. Is that the cap that vodafone would have put on it - or is it the max I can get?

I asked the technician if it would be long before we'd move from FTTC to FTTH. He said that they'd probably go for FTTH for rural areas next - as the take up on paying for the higher speeds (from fttc up to ftth) wasn't there ...ergo...people not prepared to pay for it.

In a bizarre twist, does that mean that rural dwellers could end up with faster broadband than urban dwellers?
    yea it look that way for moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yep, its either FTTH or nothing, FTTH is the only tech that works in rural areas. The only thing about it is, it is expensive at 75-95 per month and there does not seem to be a way to just order FTTH on its own without landline Ireland, UK and mobile calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep, its either FTTH or nothing, FTTH is the only tech that works in rural areas. The only thing about it is, it is expensive at 75-95 per month and there does not seem to be a way to just order FTTH on its own without landline Ireland, UK and mobile calls.

Is that price for the 1Gb/s connection with ~45 for a 150Mb/s?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is that price for the 1Gb/s connection with ~45 for a 150Mb/s?

150Mb/s = 75 euros per month
    300Mb/s = 85 euros per month
    1000Mb/s = 95 euros per month

They all come bundled with:
    eir Talk Unlimited Mobile & UK

Unlimited calls to Irish and UK landlines & mobiles

Which is driving up the price. There is an FTTC internet only price but no such thing seems to exist for FTTH. The contract is 18 months as well.

I'm really looking forward to eventually getting FTTH but have absolutely no interest in the phone end of things.

Which is driving up the price. There is an FTTC internet only price but no such thing seems to exist for FTTH. The contract is 18 months as well.

I'm really looking forward to eventually getting FTTH but have absolutely no interest in the phone end of things.

If Siro get their service out there then those prices will drop dramatically if not done already.
    Digiweb are quoting €40, €45 & €50 for 100Mb/s and some phone services.
    http://www.digiweb.ie/

Also some other prices here
    http://www.digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/

If Siro get their service out there then those prices will drop dramatically if not done already.
    Digiweb are quoting €40, €45 & €50 for 100Mb/s and some phone services.
    http://www.digiweb.ie/

that will eventually happen but currently it's taken Siro close to 2 year's to roll out to 3 towns and there is another 30+ towns planned. Their progress has been so slow, at their current rate Siro will still be on phase 1 beyond 2020, they really have to start moving faster. Eir will only see Siro's price competition as a threat once Siro is available in towns throughout much of the country.

• Advertisement

that will eventually happen but currently it's taken Siro close to 2 year's to roll out to 3 towns and there is another 30+ towns planned. Their progress has been so slow, at their current rate Siro will still be on phase 1 beyond 2020, they really have to start moving faster.

I agree; Siro has been a great disappointment to me (and others I am sure).
    I really thought, from many years ago, that stringing fibre on the Electric network was the way to go, and could be done commercially at reasonable cost.
    eir have shown Siro for what it is (to date) .... a few connections to prove it is possible.

BUT what they appear to have done is to hit a price point that is much more acceptable that those you quoted from eir.

eir Extreme is the FTTH scheme as I understand it and the prices quoted here seem to be at odds with what you quote above

https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

From €30 to €50 per month? Is that just a low price for a few months? I see no mention of it rising after a short period ..

EDIT:
    Oops this thread is for eir Fibre (copper fed) and not Extreme (FTTH) ... sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Page 3 of This PDF suggests that there is a standalone FTTH product priced at €50, €58 and €70 available from eir. It's not advertised, but surely if you insist they'd have to give it to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

eir Extreme is the FTTH scheme as I understand it and the prices quoted here seem to be at odds with what you quote above

https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

From €30 to €50 per month? Is that just a low price for a few months? I see no mention of it rising after a short period ..

EDIT:
    Oops this thread is for eir Fibre (copper fed) and not Extreme (FTTH) ... sorry :(

Not to drag the thread further off-topic, but they are introductory prices. Click more details and it tells you that they rise to €75, €95 & €115 respectively after six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Map updated. More slippage in deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Ahhhh FFS - Autumn/Winter 2016 -> Winter 2016. :mad:

This has been going on since Autumn/Winter 2015 and is a bloody sick joke at this stage.

still Autumn/Winter 2016 for me, have many places slipped to Winter 2016?
    The fact that most, if not all places still are waiting to be wired up, i'm not surprised.

edit: refreshed it again and its saying Winter 2016.

still Autumn/Winter 2016 for me, have many places slipped to Winter 2016?
    The fact that most, if not all places still are waiting to be wired up, i'm not surprised.

More chat in the FTTH thread. Gonzo, Dunshaughlin is now Winter 2016 only unfortunately.

Cabinet closest to me still on the magical "Fibre Build commenced - completion work in progress". Nearly pushing 2 years now with it being like that. :rolleyes:

Cabinet closest to me still on the magical "Fibre Build commenced - completion work in progress". Nearly pushing 2 years now with it being like that. :rolleyes:

That is mad. Did you ever tweet @openeir on the off chance that they might give you some information?

• Advertisement

Dero wrote: »
    Not to drag the thread further off-topic, but they are introductory prices. Click more details and it tells you that they rise to €75, €95 & €115 respectively after six months.

Thanks, I missed that VERY obvious big button :(

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check with your CoCos planning dept. You might find its like that because there was an objection logged ;)

ED E wrote: »
    Check with your CoCos planning dept. You might find its like that because there was an objection logged ;)

Pretty sure I saw a cabinet put their months back, though, it's at the entrance to an estate in the village. I hardly doubt anyone was going to file an objection to get rid of the **** speeds we get especially considering there's a primary school there still without a stable and fast connection. I was in the estate only a week or two ago too and saw the same type of cabinet I see all around the nearby town.

So there is a cabinet in the exact spot they claim there is but they've just nothing for months with it. We've been told "ah sur you're getting upgraded as we speak" countless times by Eir cold calls and last time I pestered them about progress they just ignored me completely. I lose hope in Eir pretty much constantly these days, no point praising the FTTH rollout until I actually see it making progress and even then we're depending on the NBP here to actually step up to the plate where Eir couldn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Just waiting for the last cabinet in my town to go live. It a sad state of affairs when you depend on 500k download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ED E wrote: »

Nimbys objecting to Broadband:eek: Never:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I am supposed to be getting an engineer out today to install fibre, but some neighbours were supposed to have them out on Monday and are still waiting despite having their connection turned off!

I called yesterday and was assured there would be someone out to me this afternoon.

Today could be the day!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

Coill Dubh, Co. Kildare (90)
    Leitrim Village, Co. Leitrim (192)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Ballybunion, Co. Kerry, cab 001 (201)
    Bantry, Co. Cork, cab 003 (83)
    Glenealy, Co. Wicklow, cab 003 (138)
    Killucan, Co. Westmeath, cab 003 (138)

A total of 1,452 premises were enabled in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    I am supposed to be getting an engineer out today to install fibre, but some neighbours were supposed to have them out on Monday and are still waiting despite having their connection turned off!

I called yesterday and was assured there would be someone out to me this afternoon.

Today could be the day!

So just to update, I got it! :D

Engineer arrived very promptly this morning and I was up and running about 30 minutes later.

I've now gone from 2.5mbps to a stable 95mpbs. It's like a different world.

I hope everyone else awaiting theirs gets sorted in the near future. Trust me, if I can get it my location, anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Paully D wrote: »
    So just to update, I got it! :D

Engineer arrived very promptly this morning and I was up and running about 30 minutes later.

I've now gone from 2.5mbps to a stable 95mpbs. It's like a different world.

I hope everyone else awaiting theirs gets sorted in the near future. Trust me, if I can get it my location, anything is possible.

Is that a ftth connection then? I'm in a rural town and gone from 12Mbps to 40Mbps. The cabinet is not far away from me. I would have thought I'd be coming out better....??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

Is that a ftth connection then? I'm in a rural town and gone from 12Mbps to 40Mbps. The cabinet is not far away from me. I would have thought I'd be coming out better....??
    no FTTC he probably in a vector area which is upto 100mb were as yours upto 70mb.If he was on FTTH the starting package would be 150mb and next 300mb and finally the highest begin 1Gb.

Advertisement