Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to learn Adobe Photoshop?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I want to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop at a beginners level. I'd prefer a course that comes with a cert of some sort at the end of it. I know GMIT has one but the times don't suit my working schedule.

Has anyone done a course on this in Galway?
    Would you recommend that course?
    How much did it cost?

I'd also like to follow up the beginner course with an advanced users course.

Thanks very much :)
    Mr Vega Greenfoot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

-Vega- wrote: »
    Hey all,

I want to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop at a beginners level. I'd prefer a course that comes with a cert of some sort at the end of it. I know GMIT has one but the times don't suit my working schedule.

Has anyone done a course on this in Galway?
    Would you recommend that course?
    How much did it cost?

I'd also like to follow up the beginner course with an advanced users course.

Thanks very much :)
    Mr Vega Greenfoot

I have always wanted to do a course as well, although I have learnt a lot from magazines and the like. I my opinion the best place to learn for free is youtube, there are hundreds of tutorials on there and I have learnt a lot from there as well. There s a beginners course on the FAS ecollege that seems pretty good and seems to give all the basics, but no cert and no further course either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Aye, there's no cert, but you'll get a lot more from the (many many many) online tutorials than you will from most courses... I've been using PS for years and google is still the first port of call if I need something I don't already know...

There such a huge range of things you can do in photoshop the best thing is get the basics down and then search out specific info on the things you particularly want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

vulcan57 wrote: »
    I have always wanted to do a course as well, although I have learnt a lot from magazines and the like. I my opinion the best place to learn for free is youtube, there are hundreds of tutorials on there and I have learnt a lot from there as well. There s a beginners course on the FAS ecollege that seems pretty good and seems to give all the basics, but no cert and no further course either.

Do not waste your money on courses...plenty of video tutorials on YouTube and other sites.far more interactive as you can visually see what the uploader is doing,pause it and then go back at anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

http://alison.com/

This is a great website it does all sorts of courses including Photoshop.

http://alison.com/courses/Adobe-Photoshop

It's completely free and you can do it in your own time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Thanks for all your answers folks, found them very very helpful :) Much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Online vids and tutorials are a great way to learn PS
    But in case you would prefer to do a course, keep an eye on groupon, ive seen photoshop courses popping up now and again, though I have no idea if they are any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

There's a physical FAS course too that was pretty useful but uses a very basic form of Photoshop so you're not relying on the magic tools as much. People in the class were saying that you learnt a lot and more in depth than other places they'd experienced. But the avoidance of what are now somewhat central tools may not be to everybody's taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

digitaltutors is another good site for photoshop tutorials and for most other graphic applications. However it is subscription based, but it does have a 30 day trial period option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem with courses is it's next to impossible for them to keep up with how quickly photoshop evolves.

I always like to get a good book, they can be a bit pricey but you can do them at your own leisure and aren't loosing screen space while reading the book.

I'd recommend you avoid the real for beginners books as they tend to remain basic and are a bit aimless in that they promote all the things photoshop can do rather than focusing on particular techniques.

I found this to be a good book, although it's one of many I bought..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0240522001/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it depends what you intend to do with photoshop, do you want to get into photo editing or creating unique pictures from scratch?

After you get a good grounding in how to use photoshop online tutorials make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Have you bought Photoshop yet? Fahy Photo give a few hours "introductory" if you buy it from them.

Sorry, I can't tell you more, it was about a year ago they told me this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 BamboozledN

Would you have any good YouTube sites to learn PhotoShop? I've always wanted to learn it but never fully got round to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Would you have any good YouTube sites to learn PhotoShop? I've always wanted to learn it but never fully got round to it!
    The thing about youtube vids is they are often telling you how to do something specific based on already having a knowledge of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I find YT vids etc good but only after you have a basic understanding of the software. Nothing like having someone to ask when things fail.

You can find hundreds and hundreds of free tutorials online - even if you do a search on YouTube, you'll find tonnes.

Advertisement