Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trustees of land

• 05-04-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I am hoping someone with legal knowledge can help me with an issue.

If a group of people are appointed trustees of a large piece of historical land and gardens can they then appoint their children or others to be new trustees when they pass away and is this legally sound?

I am trying to figure out whether the current trustees of a piece of land are legally allowed to make decisions on what can and can not be built or sold on the land.

The land in question is of great historical significance to the town and it is been managed poorly.

Is there any way i can get the land taken away by a body like the "Irish Heritage Trust" or similar?

Thanks for any help you might offer me on this.

Boggy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I am hoping someone with legal knowledge can help me with an issue.

If a group of people are appointed trustees of a large piece of historical land and gardens can they then appoint their children or others to be new trustees when they pass away and is this legally sound?

I am trying to figure out whether the current trustees of a piece of land are legally allowed to make decisions on what can and can not be built or sold on the land.

The land in question is of great historical significance to the town and it is been managed poorly.

Is there any way i can get the land taken away by a body like the "Irish Heritage Trust" or similar?

Thanks for any help you might offer me on this.

Boggy

Go talk to a solicitor. The powers of trustees depend on the trust instrument. The High Court has a cy pres jurisdiction to very the terms of trusts but there are a lot of rules surrounding that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The information and powers are usually set out in the deed that established the trust. Have you a copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I have not got the deeds. Should I contact their solicitor and ask for them? I don't really want to draw any attention as I would like to collect as much information as possible first.

One other thing I am curious about is the fact that the original trustee's paid an amount for the property but the individual selling expressed the following

"You can consider the Demesne as yours, on the conditions and the price you have mentioned."

The conditions were to preserve the demesne which was not done. Would this have been expressed in the deed on purchase? If so what action could one take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Trustees' powers are contained in the trust instrument which established the trust. It would be necessary to see that Document to be able to know what their powers are. Trustees have a duty to the beneficiaries and cannot profit form their position as trustees, if they fail in this duty they can be removed but only by the beneficiaries.

Thank you for your replies.

I will contact their solicitor to see if i can get a copy of the trust agreement. Is there any place online I could find it or are they kept private?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

They are private.

Sorry again but another question.

If planning permission has already been approved is there anyway of stopping it?

There was almost no notice for a building that is now going to be built on the demesne grounds.

Advertisement