Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on renting in the City Center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Capel street one looks a better bet. I wouldn't personally live inner city northside if I could help it though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Manuva wrote: »
    Capel street one looks a better bet. I wouldn't personally live inner city northside if I could help it though

Into sweeping statements much?

OP having lived for 4 years near to the Wolfe Tone Street one (on Anne Street North) I'd recommend that one over the Foley Street one, simply as I know it better. Plus that street would have more through pedestrian traffic on it which should make it a bit safer walking at night. I never had any problems living where I did, you are in the centre of everything, very handy place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Manuva

Into sweeping statements much?

Yup

I just don't like the area, feels grubby and unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Manuva wrote: »
    Yup

I just don't like the area, feels grubby and unsafe.

I have to agree. Sometimes it feels like I'm in a scene from the walking dead when i'm down in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

I live in Foley Street and I never had any issue whatsoever. But I'm a bulky type of guy, 1m85 tall. Sometimes have some drunks and junks across the street, but in the past 12 months only one of them actually engaged me into a conversation and that was to ask if I could spare a cigarette. I told him I don't smoke and he apologized and buggered off.

Don't listen to pessimists. It might look a bit dodgy, but it's a very safe area to live. Especially because the O'Connell gardai station is in shouting distance.

PS: Talbot Street has plenty of traffic btw, even at the dead hours in the night. I can't count the number of people I see in the street after midnight. Hell, I can't even count the number of times I was so drunk I couldn't even count to five if my life depended on it, but never have I ever had any issue walking home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

So the two people who have actually lived in the areas under discussion have favourable views of the area whilst those that haven't don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Both grand areas to live, just like with all of Dublin keep your wits about you while walking home alone and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I wouldn't say that either area would be much better or worse than the other, but I notice that the Foley St property has central heating & the Wolfe Tone St one has the dreaded avoid-at-all-costs storage heating, so for that reason alone I'd go for Foley St if it's down to a choice between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If its the massive complex on wolfe tone street avoid it. There is like 150-200 and not one is owner occupied. The lifts are always out and not repaired for days. The blocks smells and is extremely damp. But its an amazing location. I heard of a few break-ins in the complex but I think its no longer happening.

But I say wolfe tone street is far safer than foley street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Ive just seen this thread having responded to a similar a few moments ago
    Ive been living in D1, around Parnell square, for almost 14 years now and although I accept comments about the aesthetics of some parts- Talbot Street, Connelly etc - Ive never had any problems with junkies or otherwise, and I'd maintain that Dublin is one of the safest cities in Europe. The idea that the south inner city is much safer is misleading and am not so sure its worth spending any extra in rent on that basis, but thats up to you I guess.

IMO, there is no ' no-go' area in the city center. This is a myth perpetrated by those of an inexperienced and sheltered persuasion:) - if you keep your wits about you and treat people with courtesy you wont have any problems. Common sense really. Get yourself a Dublin Bike subscription and with all the cultural attractions close by - not to mention the resurgence of the Parnell Square / Moore street area - it offers an economical and appealing lifestyle. Best of luck.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056883425&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bilaldurrani

Thanks all for the replies.

Actually i had a look at the one on Wolfe Tone. I love the area, but the apartment wasn't really nice. Also the building seemed not well maintained. Ill keep searching, maybe some better apartment comes up before 28th April (my moving out date from the current one).

Thought about going for a stroll to the one at Foley street today (around 9:30 pm). The building looks just awesome. But I saw a guy snatching a woman's tesco bag just infront of me!!! So that is now not an option for me as well because my wife was with me and she is scared out of her wits.

Back to square one :(

There is this one that im considering (if it can be negotiated to something like 1100) Any opinions?
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1325829&auth[login]=1&auth[remember]=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hey,

Would Castleforbes or Custom House Square be an option? Castleforbes is relatively safe and the prices are cheaper, the luas is 1 minute away too

There is an apartment in castleforbes which seem really nice in the pictures:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1326175

Would you recommend this one as a comparatively safer place? Even if we walk to the city rather then taking the LUAS?

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

There is an apartment in castleforbes which seem really nice in the pictures:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1326175

Would you recommend this one as a comparatively safer place? Even if we walk to the city rather then taking the LUAS?

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it!
    It's relatively safe, I haven't had a problem in the area... You should walk down from the City to Castleforbes, walking along the quays until you get to Castleforbe Road can be very pretty at night.

Nice apartment

Thanks MIN2511, I think ill get an appointment for a viewing and have a look there!

Advertisement