Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDE students Maynooth 2013

• 05-04-2013 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for PDE students starting in Maynooth this september.

Has anyone organised their teaching placement yet? I'm a bit nervous that I won't get any of the schools I want!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 maynoo41

Hi, I got offered a place in Maynooth as well. I am an undergrad there at the moment, a mature student. Subjects English and Sociology. What are yours? I will start contacting schools on Monday when they come back from the easter hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Deebond7

Hey, I have also been offered a place. I haven't started looking for a placement yet. I am a mature student too. My undergrad subjects were English and Spanish. Does anyone know the best way to find accommodation for mature students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

maynoo41 wrote: »
    Hi, I got offered a place in Maynooth as well. I am an undergrad there at the moment, a mature student. Subjects English and Sociology. What are yours? I will start contacting schools on Monday when they come back from the easter hols.

You're really going to try going into teaching with just English? Massively-oversupplied subject, afaik.

Well it is what I have always wanted to do so I am going to take the chance. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Maynoo41 don't be put off! If its really what you want to do, you will get work. Besides there is always the possibility of doing professional development courses down the line.

• Advertisement

Thanks Deebond7. I was delighted to get offered the PDE and am going to see it through. If I never get a job, I will be qualified to teach. I've had enough experience in life to know that things don't always work out the way you want but I also don't want to regret not taking this opportunity.

And if all fails there is tax free salary and free accommodation in Dubai for teachers!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ana.hol

Deebond7 wrote: »
    Hey, I have also been offered a place. I haven't started looking for a placement yet. I am a mature student too. My undergrad subjects were English and Spanish. Does anyone know the best way to find accommodation for mature students?
    Sorry Deebond, I don't know anything about Maynooth or accommodation there, I'm going to commute there and back. I imagine there will be lots of mature students so you will probably be able to find a nice apartment or house to share. My subjects are Spanish and French so we will have the same language seminars. I'm 'mature' too, well as regards the age bracket anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Well it is what I have always wanted to do so I am going to take the chance. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Eh? I was talking about the current jobs market, not your potential as a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettybluebottle

Not to sure but you prob realise that your with your Sociology degree you can teach CPSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 murphrod

Congrats to everyone getting places. Got offered Maynooth myself too, Maths and Geography. Did undergrad in Maynooth and couldn't fault it. Theres a good vibe to the place. I have a fair few teacher mates and I've only heard good things about the Maynooth PDE course. I hear its long hours but the course is well respected.

Haven't got teaching practise yet, rang a few places and they said the principal was busy and to send in a CV and cover letter. So thats what I'm going to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 orlagh

Also starting in Maynooth in Sept. Business, hope to add economics in next couple of years. So far Ive sent 18 CV's, 4 negative responses and 1 meeting set up with a principal, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Browners90

Congrats to everyone on getting the PDE. I am doing History and English at the moment. Did my undergrad in Maynooth and just finishing up my MA in History in UL this year.
    I have teaching practise sorted out just as of today in a school in Naas. Clongowes Wood College also offered placement to me before I got my Naas placement so I would advise people to contact Michael Nugent in clongowes by post with your CV and cover letter. Its only about a 15/20 minute drive from Maynooth

Hi everyone,
    I have an interview for a teaching placement on Thursday. Has anyone had an interview yet? What questions were you asked?

Deebond7 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I have an interview for a teaching placement on Thursday. Has anyone had an interview yet? What questions were you asked?

How did your interview go, did you get a tp?
    Have you gotten any info out in the post from Maynooth yet apart from garda clearance? I thought we would have heard something about academic calender, induction week etc. at this stage... need to start planning for september soon!

Just a question, will anyone be commuting from Co. Louth to Maynooth? If anybody is interested in car-sharing pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 keithconnolly

ana.hol wrote: »
    How did your interview go, did you get a tp?
    Have you gotten any info out in the post from Maynooth yet apart from garda clearance? I thought we would have heard something about academic calender, induction week etc. at this stage... need to start planning for september soon!

I rang the department last week ,they said that lectures will begin the 27th/28th of August. Early enough :)

Sorry ana.hol. I haven't been on here for a while. I got the placement in a school called Sancta Maria in Rathfarnham. Have you sorted one out yet? I'm getting nervous about starting! I haven't heard anything at all from NUIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quaverlou

Hey guys looking to do the PDE next year just wondering do you need a 2.1 degree to get accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

quaverlou wrote: »
    Hey guys looking to do the PDE next year just wondering do you need a 2.1 degree to get accepted?

Details of what you need are available here -> http://www.pac.ie/main.php?inst=pe&ln=e

Does anyone know the dates of the orientation?

• Advertisement

Just rang nuim today, they said they send out orientation pack with timetables etc. in early august and that we start on the 27th. Also to get in touch with your tp school to see when they open, that it is good to be present in the school from when teachers go back (usually week before school opens).

Hey , received the timetable and that today for the first week , there was no mention of fees . Does anybody know whether we are expected to pay the full 6k in August ,or half in August and the other half later in the year ?

Hey , received the timetable and that today for the first week , there was no mention of fees . Does anybody know whether we are expected to pay the full 6k in August ,or half in August and the other half later in the year ?

I thought it was 6K too, but there is another 2,600K in student contribution fee. Not sure yet how we are expected to pay but I know registration is September 3rd, I imagine we have to pay something then.

ana.hol wrote: »
    I thought it was 6K too, but there is another 2,600K in student contribution fee. Not sure yet how we are expected to pay but I know registration is September 3rd, I imagine we have to pay something then.

Wow didn't know that , thought student contribution was for undergrads ?

Wow didn't know that , thought student contribution was for undergrads ?

Oh my god you have made me so happy! Yes, you are right, we DON'T have to pay student contribution - sorry if I made anyone panic. I totally misunderstood information I got from SUSI re grants and fees, just spoke to fees office and they confirmed that the 6K is the total. They said you have to pay at least half in September to register, and the other half in January.

SO relieved and once again sorry for the mix-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jezz09

Any pde students renting in maynooth got a spare room for renting? Thanks

I'm also looking to share with someone. I'm a 32 year young lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

Hey Guys
    Hope the PDE is going well! I did my teacher training in NUIM, graduated last year!! I am currently teaching in the UK. Not going lie it's tough but if any of ye are looking for a permanent job or just general advice PM me!! Schools over here are recruiting for September already. My school had a big recruitment day on Wednesday. You can do your NQT year here and it's recognised by the teaching council at home! :)

Advertisement