Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christendom on Newstalk right now

Options
  • 05-04-2013 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Christendom on Newstalk right now, talking about how they were not subject to the property tax and now are thanks to a fence, plus usual ghost estate issues.

Oh and its over! two mins if that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

mike65 wrote: »
    Christendom on Newstalk right now, talking about how they were not subject to the property tax and now are thanks to a fence, plus usual ghost estate issues.

Oh and its over! two mins if that.

Hey Mike

Today was a follow up to a longer piece Newstalk ran yesterday, and its on their website too, story and pictures along with the audio (http://www.newstalk.ie/We-feel-so-neglected-and-abandoned) Jonathan Healy came down on Wednesday and met with us and recorded the interview as well as took a walk around the estate.

It should be said that our beef is not about the property tax but rather that we are roundly being ignored by our council and government and being left to rot. The property tax issue has propelled this into more of a national focus.

As residents on the estate we are simply doing what we can to keep the estate in some sort of respectable condition and applying what pressure we can to get assistance for those who should be helping us - the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How could they say there is lighting provided by the council, most of it isnt working?

How anyone could call that estate anything other than a ghost estate is beyond me, but I have to say the residents have really bandied together very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 CaptainScauld

Is this estate not dealt with by the Kilkenny Council?

Yep, hey put up a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How could they say there is lighting provided by the council, most of it isnt working?

How anyone could call that estate anything other than a ghost estate is beyond me, but I have to say the residents have really bandied together very well.

I live there and this is the first time I've heard of people from here complaining lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 roundy76

Shocked to hear you've never heard people complaining Ericaa...we've been doing so for the past 4 years. Feel free to join the cause at any stage...

roundy76 wrote: »
    Shocked to hear you've never heard people complaining Ericaa...we've been doing so for the past 4 years. Feel free to join the cause at any stage...

No thank you, that would leave the possibility of more unsavoury type people moving here, which I don't think I could deal with.

Actually just had a look at the empty houses at the front, someone has broken into them all, bloody twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Ericaa wrote: »
    No thank you, that would leave the possibility of more unsavoury type people moving here, which I don't think I could deal with.

How does complaining open the possibility of more unsavory types moving in ? Not sure I follow the logic here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Shouldn't this be in the Kilkenny forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the Kilkenny forum?

Probably be ignored in much the same way as Kilkenny county council adopt there out of sight out of mind policy with everything just over the Waterford border that falls under there remit but they don't give two sh1tes about.

• Advertisement

thomasm wrote: »
    How does complaining open the possibility of more unsavory types moving in ? Not sure I follow the logic here

Complaining doesn't, obviously, finishing the estate and moving more people in does. That's what I was getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Actually just had a look at the empty houses at the front, someone has broken into them all, bloody twats.

Went and had a look inside a few of them myself the other day. Hot water cylinder and copper pipes removed, along with boilers, fitted kitchens and bathrooms.

There's a bath tub in one of the front rooms - I'm assuming they couldn't get it out the front window!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Complaining doesn't, obviously, finishing the estate and moving more people in does. That's what I was getting at.

So you think the estate should be left to rot?

Do you know what will likely happen to that estate? The estate will become an unofficial dump and squatters, junkies etc will move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    So you think the estate should be left to rot?

Do you know what will likely happen to that estate? The estate will become an unofficial dump and squatters, junkies etc will move in.

Can I just point out that as a residents group we are doing everything we possibly can to prevent this happening. Some residents met the litter warden the earlier in the week to show some of the dumping that has taken place, he is working with us to have the heavy items removed next week and we will organise a spring clean up of the estate in the next couple of weeks(we did one of these last year as well).
    We also have an application to send a deputation to the next meeting of the electoral area meeting of Kilkenny County Council to present to them that we need assistance on the estate, something which they have refused to give us.
    We already arrange grass cutting on the estate, and tried to engage with the management company, but they essentially ignored us.
    There are some issues with anti-social behaviour on the estate also and we are raising these with the landlords of the people in question and if neccessary will take a case to the PRTB.

In short, yes things are tough but we are doing what we can to make it better and we will continue to do so.

Ericaa - I sent you a PM earlier in the week, not sure if you got it, but my contact details are in it as well as details of the next residents group meeting, it would be great if you could come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

24/7 camera monitoring. Anything else is a waste of time.

I think its fairly obvious whos robbing everything. have to fund their 2012 cars and caravans somehow dont they.

Media999 wrote: »
    24/7 camera monitoring. Anything else is a waste of time.

I think its fairly obvious whos robbing everything. have to fund their 2012 cars and caravans somehow dont they.

It would be nice but not always possible, but there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

One thing's for sure, individuals will seldom delivery the results that a group can.

Advertisement