Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California Burrito Dundalk

Options
  • 05-04-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭

So this page has sprung up on facebook, seems to be a mexican place that is going to be in Park street.
    they keep mentioning how they want the planners to hurry up so looks like its not even ready yet. Also said they hope to be open in about 2 months.

Anyone know anything about it, where its going to be?
    It is an actual mexican place or just going to throw out "burritos" which will basically be kebabs from the like of abrakebabra.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Haven't seen the facebook page so I can't add any info to the topic.

Really hope it's a decent Tex-Mex place, and not just a greasy, poor mans abra that caters to the 3am crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Oh some of that stuff on Facebook looks fecking tasty. Unfortunatly they've said it'll be at least three months before they're open.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Burrito-Dundalk/277351249065618

Hopefully it gains some traction. We've had boat loads of fast food places in town open only to close down in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

I really hope this place opens and has authentic mexican food, I miss good mexican and I'll be a regular:D....... hope they do good margaritas too or is that asking too much !!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Love Mexican! Wonder where its going to open?? I heard Punjab House is closing down....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

'Carne Asada fries with pico de gallo and sour cream' sounds tasty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

gg2 wrote: »
    Love Mexican! Wonder where its going to open?? I heard Punjab House is closing down....

They say Park Street on their Facebook page,BTW judging from convos on that FB page these guys are the real deal.
    California Burrito

Amigo's, put €10 down and enter the "El Loco Hombre" Anyone that can finish our Special Burrito not only gets €50 but gets their photo on the "Wall of Flame". Those who fail, forfeit the cash and enter the "Wall of Shame". Beware: Polaroids of all contestants are property of California Burrito. Este no es un juego

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd do that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Why would you open a Mexican restaurant and call it 'California Burrito'?

That's like an Italian restaurant called 'Aquitaine Pizza' or a Thai restaurant called 'Szechuan Pad Thai'

Why would you open a Mexican restaurant and call it 'California Burrito'?

That's like an Italian restaurant called 'Aquitaine Pizza' or a Thai restaurant called 'Szechuan Pad Thai'

You don't understand the business POV .Burrito competition in the US is huge.Having the hottest burrito can make or change a biz.
    How far is it from CA to Mexico? Believe you me, CA burritos are a lot tastier and a whole lot tidier than any Mex **** i ever had 'South of the border'. ;)

It's not like there's anywhere in Mexico called California...

• Advertisement

You don't understand the business POV .Burrito competition in the US is huge.Having the hottest burrito can make or change a biz.
    How far is it from CA to Mexico? Believe you me, CA burritos are a lot tastier and a whole lot tidier than any Mex **** i ever had 'South of the border'. ;)

Can I just point out that I never said anything about how hot or how good burritos from Mexico are versus ones from California? So, what exactly are you telling me I don't understand?

In fact, I wasn't the one who called it a Mexican restaurant. Can I draw your attention to the folowing:
    event wrote: »
    ... mexican ...
    bigneacy wrote: »
    ... Tex-Mex ...
    bnear wrote: »
    ... mexican ...
    gg2 wrote: »
    ... Mexican! ...

My point is this; in this country, 'burritos' are considered to be 'Mexican' food. Whether they actually are or not is irrelevant; the perception is that they are, as evidenced by the four comments quoted above. Also, in this country, 'California' usually means the US state, rather than Baja California.

As I pointed out, you wouldn't name and Italian restaurant after a French province or a Thai restaurant after a Chinese province. So, I'll ask my question again: why name a 'Mexican' restaurant after a part of the US?

It's not like there's anywhere in Mexico called California...

I confess that I was initially forgetting Baja California, but if anything that just strengthens my argument, which I've mentioned again above.

So, I'll ask my question again: why name a 'Mexican' restaurant after a part of the US?

Who cares? As long as it's tasty and hot, who really cares? Ask them on The Book Face if you want an answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MariaStar!

Yay I'm so happy to hear this, I won't have to make the trek all the way into Dublin for some tasty burritos and guacamole! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Can I just point out that I never said anything about how hot or how good burritos from Mexico are versus ones from California? So, what exactly are you telling me I don't understand?

In fact, I wasn't the one who called it a Mexican restaurant. Can I draw your attention to the folowing:

My point is this; in this country, 'burritos' are considered to be 'Mexican' food. Whether they actually are or not is irrelevant; the perception is that they are, as evidenced by the four comments quoted above. Also, in this country, 'California' usually means the US state, rather than Baja California.

As I pointed out, you wouldn't name and Italian restaurant after a French province or a Thai restaurant after a Chinese province. So, I'll ask my question again: why name a 'Mexican' restaurant after a part of the US?

For the record - I said Tex-Mex - as in the fusion of Mexican cuisine with South-American stylings. This type of food originated around the southern/western US which includes California.

That, and you'll probably find more Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants (the likes of which we would be accustomed to) in America than in Mexico.

It's like opening an Irish pub and calling it "The Bostonian" or "The Pearl River Inn"- its not the original starting point but it's recognised as an important part of the culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Will.i.am.not

There's my idea gone .. Someone was listen in on my confersation.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Any word on this spot yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭radiofreak

Their sign went up this evening. They will be situated where the Acc bank used to be. :)

Dying to try this out! Next we need is a noodle box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Cant wait, saw a load of photos on fb today, hope its nice and not just a mexican abra.
    Delivery would be great too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Seen it there today for the first time. Not too keen on the look from the outside. Sign is a bit...meh. If the food is good then I couldn't care what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Passed the sign friday heading home from work, big cardboard job.

Opening on Monday 16th Sept @ 12 noon.
    Canny wait!! :)

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/09/10/new-dundalk-burrito-store-to-open-on-monday/

Passed by earlier and it looks nearly ready to roll. Really wanna hit there on Monday but that's pending q's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Pick up gtav, pass by and grab a burrito then head home.
    Perfect way to spend a monday at 1am :P

I'll fight you in the q for both so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What is a burrito and what is in it?
    Never heard of them.

I'm a bit concerned how excited I am about this place but these went onto The Bookface.
    It really needs to hurry up though !
    1000964_362076067259802_557033420_n.jpg
    1174685_362068077260601_1403291760_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

There's a place back in Galway called "Boojums" (I think..I had been drinking) and my God but they were burrito heaven altogether. And they sold beer as well to boot.
    If this place matches it, I'll be quite the happy camper.
    (I also notice this place sells beer. wonder will they have a late license..?)
    Oh the nyom times are ahead!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

open until 3AM too. I can imagine the queues after ridleys will be madness

Advertisement