Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California Burrito Dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Panthro wrote: »
    There's a place back in Galway called "Boojums" (I think..I had been drinking) and my God but they were burrito heaven altogether. And they sold beer as well to boot.
    If this place matches it, I'll be quite the happy camper.
    (I also notice this place sells beer. wonder will they have a late license..?)
    Oh the nyom times are ahead!:D
    Ah you mean Boojum.. no s. Knew they had one in Dublin but wasnt aware they had one in Galway.

The place is well known in Belfast, they have two restaurants up here and both have queues out the door nearly every time I pass one of them. When I first moved up here I used to get one once a week as they were so good. I reheated one and lets just say it didn't agree with me and I haven't had one since.

This place in Dundalk looks to be a similar set up and if its anything like Boojum then the people of Dundalk are in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

event wrote: »
    open until 3AM too. I can imagine the queues after ridleys will be madness

Some money to be made though.

Hope they have a bouncer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

As I pointed out, you wouldn't name and Italian restaurant after a French province or a Thai restaurant after a Chinese province. So, I'll ask my question again: why name a 'Mexican' restaurant after a part of the US?

Its the style.
    Same as californian sushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned how excited I am about this place but these went onto The Bookface.
    It really needs to hurry up though !

I'm looking forward to it opening too, but it looks absolutely terrible in those pics.

Who uploaded them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I'm looking forward to it opening too, but it looks absolutely terrible in those pics.

Who uploaded them?!

They're on the CB facebook page.(menu also on that page)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Burrito-Dundalk/277351249065618?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

In their defence, I can't imagine it was cheap converting a bank to effectively what is a chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Cant believe its closed, came down hoping to pick up one before queueing for GTAV. Heard it was amazing but pricey though.

Keith wrote: »
    Cant believe its closed, came down hoping to pick up one before queueing for GTAV. Heard it was amazing but pricey though.

They closed early and all. Ran out of food!

They closed early and all. Ran out of food!

Sake :( Il just pick up a mizzonis on the way home then.
    Their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Sake :( Il just pick up a mizzonis on the way home then.
    Their loss.

And it is only open from 12-7 this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

anyone been?
    Any good?
    Im thinking of hitting it up.

Panthro wrote: »
    anyone been?
    Any good?
    Im thinking of hitting it up.

Went at the weekend, got a steak burrito and 'fries', was really tasty, bit pricey though. Definitely worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Went at the weekend, got a steak burrito and 'fries', was really tasty, bit pricey though. Definitely worth a visit.

What's the price range in there?
    Would you get a good feed for a tenner?

What's the price range in there?
    Would you get a good feed for a tenner?

On your own, yeah. My large burrito and chips was about 8 euro, no drink. Very filling too.
    Theres a menu on their fb page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I got a Burrito and California Nachos. €9. They were lovely I have to say. Was my only time in there but might make another trip in there the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Good for punters.Europa went half price last night and Abra are shooting out the deals too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

My point is this; in this country, 'burritos' are considered to be 'Mexican' food. Whether they actually are or not is irrelevant; the perception is that they are, as evidenced by the four comments quoted above. Also, in this country, 'California' usually means the US state, rather than Baja California.

As I pointed out, you wouldn't name and Italian restaurant after a French province or a Thai restaurant after a Chinese province. So, I'll ask my question again: why name a 'Mexican' restaurant after a part of the US?
    Personally, if I go to a foreign food place, I'd prefer it was authentic and that I came out knowing a bit more about that type of food. The type of burritos that are consumed in Ireland are an American creation, not Mexican (and there are some serious brand identity issues in the majority of Irish burrito places as a result). Also I'd wager part of the reason this particular place is called 'California Burritos' is because there is an extremely popular type of burrito that you get in the area between San Diego and LA that is called... the 'California Burrito'.

Pity this place has only included it as a 'Go Californian' option on their menu though. Their menu says add fries to any existing burrito to make a 'Californian Burrito', which would be a bit like a cafe menu saying 'Go Irish' to add black pudding to your bowl of muesli or pile of pancakes to make an 'Ireland Breakfast'. Not very authentic!

Would you believe that Chinese dishes served here would be hard to find in China too?

It's all about supply and demand.

Personally, if I go to a foreign food place, I'd prefer it was authentic and that I came out knowing a bit more about that type of food. The type of burritos that are consumed in Ireland are an American creation, not Mexican (and there are some serious brand identity issues in the majority of Irish burrito places as a result). Also I'd wager part of the reason this particular place is called 'California Burritos' is because there is an extremely popular type of burrito that you get in the area between San Diego and LA that is called... the 'California Burrito'.

Pity this place has only included it as a 'Go Californian' option on their menu though. Their menu says add fries to any existing burrito to make a 'Californian Burrito', which would be a bit like a cafe menu saying 'Go Irish' to add black pudding to your bowl of muesli or pile of pancakes to make an 'Ireland Breakfast'. Not very authentic!

London Derry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

London Derry?

• Advertisement

London Derry.

;)

London Derry?

The Chinese in Seatown does a lovely Bacon & Cabbage too Pepe :D:D

I think we should organise a BoardsBeuuritoBeers.
    Put that in yer pipes and smoke it!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Went here on the 2nd day they opened.I asked for a chicken fajita,got lettuce,sprinkling of cheese,rice,spicy mayo and sour cream on it.It came to 6.20 which for the size of it was too pricey.They also charge an extra 70 cent if you want sour cream and cheese?? When i got home and tucked in,it was pork i got in it,it was nice enough,but for 6.20 for a relatively small wrap,it's way too dear. I'll try it again in a couple of months,hopefully they'll be doing meal deals or better value wraps.

im off to get me a burrito

Just had one. Chips were cold. Burrito was well packed and tasty. I'd go back. Not digging cold chips though.

7.50 is okay for both I suppose. Staff have their heads up their asses though. Need to wise up a bit. Highly disorganised.

I got the large minced beef burrito and a portion of California nachos. It took me two sittings.
    Sooooo much food!
    Pretty yummy too! The ahh...girl at the till, was rather pleasant too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

cold chips though.
    Highly disorganised.

Hopefully just getting the hang of things, should have had everything organised and tested before opening though.

Also to add: Incorrect opening hours, long waits, not actually having enough food on the premises to serve people.

jamie72 wrote: »
    Hopefully just getting the hang of things, should have had everything organised and tested before opening though.

Also to add: Incorrect opening hours, long waits, not actually having enough food on the premises to serve people.

It's a learning curve for them I suppose. They'd need to up their game all the same. That outfit wasn't cheap (despite the look) and you'd want to sell a lot of cold chips to pay for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

Looks like it's gone :(

Advertisement