Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlimited GP visits €15 per month

• 05-04-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I got a flyer through the door for this recently. If I lived any closer to Sandyford or Swords I'd be signing up now.

http://www.gpnow.ie/

Unlimited GP visits
    No extra or hidden charges
    Modern, private medical centre
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Administration of vaccines included
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination
    Open Saturdays and late night Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

they had a promo on a couple of weeks back where they had 100 places open for 10 year family memberships (2 adults 3 kids) for €1000. Chances are they may be all gone but might be worth giving them a buzz just to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Reviews on Boards and other websites:

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=457956&sid=b1fd3db3b6d5a2a829364b78b4997b87 [MagicMum]

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81083719

Posters are very positive of it. Benefits (Sandyford) include the fact that blood tests and the like are processed onsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I really hope this becomes more popular and they open offices out in the Dublin 24 area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

This is how it should be for everyone in the country.

I`m all for companies like this.
    Anything to break the €50 per visit gangsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Perfect for hypochondriacs! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

You'd need to be going to GP more than once every 4 months....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

jimogr wrote: »
    You'd need to be going to GP more than once every 4 months....

To be fair, I've been to the GP twice in the last 6 years but I had a list as long as my arm both times, with a car crash and slipped disk forcing me to go in the end.

I love the idea that if you're anyway worried about something, you've already got yourself covered to get a GP opinion. I'm pretty sure this will end up making me healthier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

RedXIV wrote: »
    To be fair, I've been to the GP twice in the last 6 years but I had a list as long as my arm both times, with a car crash and slipped disk forcing me to go in the end.

I love the idea that if you're anyway worried about something, you've already got yourself covered to get a GP opinion. I'm pretty sure this will end up making me healthier

I'd agree, just moved to uk and have been to doctor twice in the last 3 weeks (as it's free) anything i'm unsure about I go and ask rather than letting it go, so the €15 a month could save your life by finding something in the early stages that you woudln't have bothered with! Great Idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I expect to see a sharp increase in certified sick leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you currently have "day-to-day" cover in your health insurance plan which partially covers GP fees it might be worth considering paying for this instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Only 2 locations in Dublin, hope they expand soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

they had a promo on a couple of weeks back where they had 100 places open for 10 year family memberships (2 adults 3 kids) for €1000. Chances are they may be all gone but might be worth giving them a buzz just to see.

Promo is still on rang them today, but what kind of reassurance does a consumer have on a ten year agreement? If they were to close in a year or two for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd agree, just moved to uk and have been to doctor twice in the last 3 weeks (as it's free) anything i'm unsure about I go and ask rather than letting it go, so the €15 a month could save your life by finding something in the early stages that you woudln't have bothered with! Great Idea!

If you have something wrong with you for 3 months you should be going to the doctor.

As with all insurance policies, and this is a type of insurance, it relies on healthy people subsidising the unhealthy. If people start treating this like the NHS then there are 2 possible outcomes. The first is that they have to raise their prices and the second is that other doctors follow suit, which do you think will happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

primacare in swords have a similar plan, but a good bit more expensive because its limited visits. i phoned them and told them about this and that this was going to convince us to change gp.
    they gave us the exact same deal.
    they are in a lot of locations so if there is one near you ring and quote this offer and get them to match it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Am I the only that doesn't think this is a good deal? No healthy person needs to go to the doctor's every four months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Tazz T wrote: »
    Am I the only that doesn't think this is a good deal? No healthy person needs to go to the doctor's every four months.

Well some people arnt blessed with health, and also this plan covers multiple family members so a limited amount of visits from each and it's worth it, it also includes the flu vaccine for everyone on the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭newdigi

We (myself, wife and 2 kids) signed up for this in November last year as our kids are constantly getting infections.

We pay €30 per month, and based on the visits we have already made with the children, we have saved around €300 so far.

So for us with the kids its very worthwhile.
    We did have healthsteps with VHI which gave us back €20 per GP visit, but we cancelled this and financially it makes much more sense for us.

We are paying monthly by direct debit as I feel that if 'm ever not happy with the service we can just cancel and go back to our original GP.

but so far we are very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

This is how it should be for everyone in the country.

I`m all for companies like this.
    Anything to break the €50 per visit gangsters.

GP now 180 euro a year? vs €50 euro per GP visit.

Suppose it depends on how often you visit your GP?

Tazz T wrote: »

I went to the doctor once in my life until 2011.
    Since then I've had to go an average of once every 2 months.
    Young lad has to go fairly often and my husband probably averages once every 2 years.

You never know whats ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

That's brilliant! I have to go to the doc once a month & get blood tests, so it's €85. But I don't live anywhere swords or sandyford :( but i will keep an eye for them defo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you have something wrong with you for 3 months you should be going to the doctor.

As with all insurance policies, and this is a type of insurance, it relies on healthy people subsidising the unhealthy. If people start treating this like the NHS then there are 2 possible outcomes. The first is that they have to raise their prices and the second is that other doctors follow suit, which do you think will happen?

Indeed. It's a particularly stupid form of insurance. I pay house insurance in case my house burns down, or car insurance in case I write-off my car or massively injure myself. I pay insurance to protect against the small chance of something really, really bad happening.

I don't need insurance against having to pay €50 to the doctor, a small outlay that I know I'm only going to occur occasionally.

The only people who sign up to this will be people who practically live in doctor's surgeries, and it will quickly become unsustainably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I heard to guy on the radio recently. Apparently they do not take emergency appointments. If there's no space you can't come.

Pretty useless if your child has suspected appendicitis, meningitis or a bad infection etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nermal wrote: »
    ... It's a particularly stupid form of insurance.....I don't need insurance against having to pay €50 to the doctor, a small outlay that I know I'm only going to occur occasionally....

Just because it obviously not aimed at you, doesn't make it stupid. What kinda logic is that. Lots of people have frequent trips to the Doctor for one reason or another.
    I heard to guy on the radio recently. Apparently they do not take emergency appointments. If there's no space you can't come.

Pretty useless if your child has suspected appendicitis, meningitis or a bad infection etc...

If you think a child has appendicitis, meningitis, I think I'd be going to ER, they'd probably tell you the same on the phone. With the D-DOC service, you have to talk with someone before making an appointment, and they tell if you can see a doc or go to hospital directly. I assume this service would work the same way.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/PrimaryCare/GP_Out_of_Hours/D-DOC/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

€15 x 12 months = €170.

If you go to the GP 4 times a year you'll save money. Seems like a very good offer for those who do need frequent visits. This pricing structure is to be welcomed, it might finally put the cat amongst the pigeons of the €50-€60 GP brigade.

I think it is a very reasonable offer. But what dismays me a bit is that if a private company can still make profit on covering all GP visits for €170 a year why the hell aren't GP visits free for everyone with the cost being picked up by the HSE ? It would improve the overall health of the nation no end as a lot of people stay away from GP's right now because of the prohibitive costs.

Most of us here pay around €170 per week in taxes which would easily balance out a years worth of GP visits. If a private company can do it and make a quid then a government should be able to get even better value for money by bulk buying medical services for 4.5m people. It is not rocket science yet our government continues to protect the vested interests of the Irish Medical Organisation and associated cronies at the Irish Pharmaceutical Union.

Our country really is broken.

The last company I worked for in Dublin had a contract with the GP around the corner. Anyone working for the company could go to the GP for free.
    It was good for everyone. Free GP for staff. Staff would have to be in work to go to the GP so less sick days.

But I did hear, as I know that GPs wife that he was asked by the company not to give sick certs to people in the company who came to him. He just said I'm the GP not the company and i'll decide who is sick enough to keep them from work and who is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

RATM wrote: »
    €15 x 12 months = €170.

If you go to the GP 4 times a year you'll save money. Seems like a very good offer for those who do need frequent visits. This pricing structure is to be welcomed, it might finally put the cat amongst the pigeons of the €50-€60 GP brigade.

I think it is a very reasonable offer. But what dismays me a bit is that if a private company can still make profit on covering all GP visits for €170 a year why the hell aren't GP visits free for everyone with the cost being picked up by the HSE ? It would improve the overall health of the nation no end as a lot of people stay away from GP's right now because of the prohibitive costs.

Most of us here pay around €170 per week in taxes which would easily balance out a years worth of GP visits. If a private company can do it and make a quid then a government should be able to get even better value for money by bulk buying medical services for 4.5m people. It is not rocket science yet our government continues to protect the vested interests of the Irish Medical Organisation and associated cronies at the Irish Pharmaceutical Union.

Our country really is broken.

Its 180 actually. Depends on peoples individual circumstances, how often they visit their doctor, how much they can claim back from revenue, VHI etc. I visited my doc once in 5 years so this wouldn't have been a good deal.
    On the other hand I've paid VHI around 5K in the last 5 years and haven't had a single claim so I guess its about peace of mind.

BostonB wrote: »
    Just because it obviously not aimed at you, doesn't make it stupid. What kinda logic is that. Lots of people have frequent trips to the Doctor for one reason or another.

If you think a child has appendicitis, meningitis, I think I'd be going to ER, they'd probably tell you the same on the phone. With the D-DOC service, you have to talk with someone before making an appointment, and they tell if you can see a doc or go to hospital directly. I assume this service would work the same way.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/PrimaryCare/GP_Out_of_Hours/D-DOC/

That's true, but very often people don't have the skills even being guided over the phone to know what is serious or not. Bad pain in the tummy? Most commonly a GP does an assessment first, otherwise you'd have A+E full with everything from constipation to tummy bugs.

I'd also prefer not to have to wait a day or two to get an antibiotic for a bad chest infection or something like that.

Just my opinion. I don't have a family or go to the doctor so it's not an issue for me, it's just a point that crossed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

RATM wrote: »

Now that is a brilliant question. For the sake of 170 per person why can't everyone in the state have free GP visits. Sure it must cost nearly that to process (and then refuse!) a GP card for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That's true, but very often people don't have the skills even being guided over the phone to know what is serious or not. Bad pain in the tummy? Most commonly a GP does an assessment first, otherwise you'd have A+E full with everything from constipation to tummy bugs.

I'd also prefer not to have to wait a day or two to get an antibiotic for a bad chest infection or something like that.

Just my opinion. I don't have a family or go to the doctor so it's not an issue for me, it's just a point that crossed my mind.

Even if you go into ER you generally get seen by a nurse first, not a doctor. The D-Doc service is something similar. Quite different to a GP receptionist.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/triage+nurse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm a member in the Swords branch since last October. Have had 4 visits so far, one where the doc seen the whole family which would usually cost us close to 100 euro in our old GP. I felt like a thief walking out the door and not paying anything! Great especially for women who are on contraception and need regular doctor visits for repeat prescriptions. That alone has saved me a fortune.

BostonB wrote: »
    Even if you go into ER you generally get seen by a nurse first, not a doctor. The D-Doc service is something similar. Quite different to a GP receptionist.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/triage+nurse

I'm familiar with the triage procedure thanks.

You also pay €200 if you go to A+E without a doctors letter, triage nurse or no triage nurse.

I think it's a good idea, just not perfect. If you go to the doctor a bit it's obviously going to save you a nice bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Seems like a good deal. Couple of years time all gp visits will be free anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

We are in the one in Sandyford, pay €30 a month for 2 adults and 3 kids. Very convenient as it is walking distance from our house. Takes the deliberating out of going to the GP as payment is spread across the year whereas normal GP visit would be taking €60 a pop.

We have used it a good bit and is paying for itself. At the end of the year they will give me a statement that I can go to VHI with and try claim back on a the plan that has "day to day" cover.

Didn't know about the 10 year option so may look into converting to that somehow. Though I would worry about putting down that lump up front.

Do get SMS from them re a flat fee for over 65's for life.... but I am some way off that yet:P

All positive from me. If they are anywhere close to you and you have a young family then its worth considering.

We have never had issue getting appointment at short notice. They tell you to come in and maybe wait a while but they will see you.

We are in the one in Sandyford, pay €30 a month for 2 adults and 3 kids. Very convenient as it is walking distance from our house. Takes the deliberating out of going to the GP as payment is spread across the year whereas normal GP visit would be taking €60 a pop.

We have used it a good bit and is paying for itself. At the end of the year they will give me a statement that I can go to VHI with and try claim back on a the plan that has "day to day" cover.

Didn't know about the 10 year option so may look into converting to that somehow. Though I would worry about putting down that lump up front.

Do get SMS from them re a flat fee for over 65's for life.... but I am some way off that yet:P

All positive from me. If they are anywhere close to you and you have a young family then its worth considering.

Most recent text I got from them mentioned the lifetime family memberships and said that any unused portion of existing membership (if you pay upfront for the year) can be used as credit towards the family membership.

• Advertisement

We have never had issue getting appointment at short notice. They tell you to come in and maybe wait a while but they will see you.

That's interesting. Thanks. They had the guy that set it up on the radio recently and he said they did not allow people to come in without an appointment, no exceptions. Which didn't seem right to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

That's interesting. Thanks. They had the guy that set it up on the radio recently and he said they did not allow people to come in without an appointment, no exceptions. Which didn't seem right to me...

Hey may have been refereing to drop-ins frm the general public who are not registered clients?

Well, that is true. You cannot just walk in and wait like some doctors have the facility to do so but if you ring in advance they will always try to squeeze you in.

They do also have a wait period (I think I heard 48 hours when I was there recently when a man was signing up in the waiting room) so you cannot use the service right away.

I think the squeezing in is the important thing. The thing that didn't sit right with me was you could be quite concerned about your child or yourself, and they say "sorry 48hours or go to A+E".
    That doesn't really fit with what a doctor should do... for example if you were a bit worried about a child that had a rash and was a bit off, a GP could save his life by seeing him/her quickly if they turned out to have say meningitis... but they might not be sick enough to take to hospital at the time...

it really sounds like a good idea for families...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nermal wrote: »
    car insurance in case I write-off my car or massively injure myself
    The vast majority of your motor insurance costs are for damage you may do to others not yourself - hence the reason why 3rd party is compulsory whereas comprehensive is optional.

I agree with your other sentiments though. I visited my GP yesterday.Strangely he seemed to take pleasure in informing me that I was there last in 2004 when I required a medical for renewal of driving licence and in 1996 before that!

• Advertisement

Don't think the traditional GP was ever any better for giving a short notice appointment either. I think twice we have been given a short notice visit but we did need to go and sit and wait, but was not too long. I know once I was heading away on work for a week and they were fairly accommodating too at being able to see me at short notice before I was gone.

January wrote: »
    Most recent text I got from them mentioned the lifetime family memberships and said that any unused portion of existing membership (if you pay upfront for the year) can be used as credit towards the family membership.

Just went into my SMS and yep, your right, it is offering me the deal. I hadn't read it as I assumed it was same single lifetime membership. Thanks.. will chat to wife in morning and see what she reckons.. They say hours extending to 5 late nights from 1st May too.

All positive! But.. still cagey about paying up front. Might chat in work and see if they have any health benefit incentives going a begging:p.. like a grand up front!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 bigbarginhunter

Joined up to this 6 days ago, my son wasn't well during the night so rang GP Now in sandyford at 10am this morning, the receptionist was a pleasure to deal with & gave us an appointment for 12.45pm today. Got there we were seen within a couple of minutes, the doctor that was on was absolutely brilliant gave him a complete check over & found out what was up with him. A brilliant service to have & all with a smile!
    Highly recommended

Joined up to this 6 days ago, my son wasn't well during the night so rang GP Now in sandyford at 10am this morning, the receptionist was a pleasure to deal with & gave us an appointment for 12.45pm today. Got there we were seen within a couple of minutes, the doctor that was on was absolutely brilliant gave him a complete check over & found out what was up with him. A brilliant service to have & all with a smile!
    Highly recommended

You might have spotted my wife and our youngest as they were there around same time too.. he has bad viral bug at moment and we brought him this morning just for piece of mind. That's the comfort of being able to go to GP and not be €60 lighter after each visit.

Washing machine is going overtime washing puke off clothes and bed sheets..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 bigbarginhunter

We did see them, it's a great service the fact you don't have to worry about coming up with €60 is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

After been told I'd have to pay another €60 to my GP's practice for a follow up visit (because it was another doctor on duty) I decided I'd had enough of them and joined GP now.

After joining online (€360 for a family for 1 year), I rang them in the evening and got an appointment for the following afternoon no problem.

It's a 20 minute drive to them from where I live, but then again I didn't have to sit in a waiting room with 20+ sick people for over an hour.

The service there is great. Very nice offices, very professional service. Delighted as this is likely to save us around €700 per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I recently took the gamble on their 1000 euro for ten years offer. If they close down next month I'm screwed but if it works out I've total gp cover for me and wife and 2 kids until my eldest is nearly 18 which is pretty sweet.

If they're expanding into Swords and to Cork and possibly Tallaght, as I've heard reported then they must be doing well so here's hoping they stay around a few more years yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

MMAGirl wrote: »
    The last company I worked for in Dublin had a contract with the GP around the corner. Anyone working for the company could go to the GP for free.
    It was good for everyone. Free GP for staff. Staff would have to be in work to go to the GP so less sick days.

But I did hear, as I know that GPs wife that he was asked by the company not to give sick certs to people in the company who came to him. He just said I'm the GP not the company and i'll decide who is sick enough to keep them from work and who is not.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Company benefits from less people 'pulling sickies', employee benefits from free GP visits. No GP is going to send someone to work if they aren't fit to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

fat bloke wrote: »
    I recently took the gamble on their 1000 euro for ten years offer.
    I presume that's for an individual? Wonder is there a similar rate for family?

Anybody know if you are tied to one location. Am wondering if I signed up and they open up nearer to me if I could use nearer location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I presume that's for an individual? Wonder is there a similar rate for family?

Anybody know if you are tied to one location. Am wondering if I signed up and they open up nearer to me if I could use nearer location.

Pretty sure thats the family rate for 10 years, not an individual one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement