Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlimited GP visits €15 per month

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Chiparus wrote: »
    GP now 180 euro a year? vs €50 euro per GP visit.

Suppose it depends on how often you visit your GP?
    with a family of 2 adults and 3 kids those 50Euro GP visits can quickly mount up.

Sure feck it, say one of them catches something at school or daycare, thats 50 for them to get sorted and within the week the other 4 of you are sick and needing another 200euro worth of GP visits.

Its scenarios like this which make staying on the Dole for the benefit of a medical card when you have a family very attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just signed up for the monthly pay in swords. Really chuffed with the set up. Ever since I moved here I've been dismayed at the cost of going to the GP.
    What with contraception costs, migraines and asthma it soon adds up.
    Also, back in the UK I used to get the flu vaccine for free because of my asthma, so it bring included is another plus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I presume that's for an individual? Wonder is there a similar rate for family?

Anybody know if you are tied to one location. Am wondering if I signed up and they open up nearer to me if I could use nearer location.

Nope family (up to 3 children) rate.
    Also, yes once you've gpnow membership you are entitled to attend any of their clinic locations. (I asked:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

When are they setting up in Galway?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Any ideas on when Cork is being opened up? Have signed up to the waiting list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Fair play to this company. Sick of the rip off bringing kids to the doc for 10 minutes and having to hand over €50, usually just to get a prescription for something I knew they needed anyway. Wish they were in Meath. If they were within a 30-40 min drive I would sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Can you just sign up for 1 month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cice

Just paid €50 last week for GP had to go back this week with same thing and was charged €30 even though it was same thing. Can't afford this so thinking of joining GPNow in Swords. Just wondering how people found it and any names of good Doctor there? All advice welcome. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cice wrote: »
    Just paid €50 last week for GP had to go back this week with same thing and was charged €30 even though it was same thing. Can't afford this so thinking of joining GPNow in Swords. Just wondering how people found it and any names of good Doctor there? All advice welcome. Thanks.

I'm a member in Swords and don't have a regular doctor, although I'm assuming you can ask for one. Your file is on the computer so is accessible to all the doctors and every doctor we've seen so far has been friendly, polite and over all, competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Who are ya tellin.
    Bring one child to the Doc on Monday. Doc says take these and come back on Thursday - €50 please. Other child gets it and have to bring him on Tuesday. Doc says take these and bring him back on Friday - €50 please.
    I say I can bring them both back on Thursday.
    Bring them on thursday. Doc says take more of these and bring them back on Monday - €100 please.
    Bring them back Monday - €80 please.
    Wife says while she is there, can I get a new prescription for my inhaler while im here. - €25 please.
    €305 in a week. Total of about 20 mins all week with the doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm desperately hoping this catches on big time. I've a family of 5 and am waiting for them to open in Cork. We're not a sick family but for various reasons I'd say we're not far off the family membership cost in GP visits this year already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

I think one of the main issues is it means people are more likely to go to the doctor before ailment gets to serious and so cost less to treat. We all know or have done it ourselves someone who has put off going to the Doctors because they don't have the €50 and then been even more ill. €15 a mnth is easier for some people to find than €50 plus prescription charges, I'd like to see it catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cice

kristian12 wrote: »
    I think one of the main issues is it means people are more likely to go to the doctor before ailment gets to serious and so cost less to treat. We all know or have done it ourselves someone who has put off going to the Doctors because they don't have the €50 and then been even more ill. €15 a mnth is easier for some people to find than €50 plus prescription charges, I'd like to see it catch on.

I agree I'm not a person who goes to the doctor that often maybe three times a year. But in last month I've been four times with same problem and paid €50 each time then €30 for review. They still haven't identified problem so I'm worrying about cost as I don't have the €50 to be paying for more visits while they try decide what's wrong with me. In reality if I'd joined gpnow my yearly fee would have been paid. I'm nervous about moving until they find out root of problem though or would a fresh eye maybe be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It turns out there is a primacare in maynooth. The poster who got them to give this deal, did it cover dental or did you just ask them to match the swords deal?

Just got an email about signing up for Cork today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I agree I'm not a person who goes to the doctor that often maybe three times a year. But in last month I've been four times with same problem and paid €50 each time then €30 for review. They still haven't identified problem so I'm worrying about cost as I don't have the €50 to be paying for more visits while they try decide what's wrong with me. In reality if I'd joined gpnow my yearly fee would have been paid. I'm nervous about moving until they find out root of problem though or would a fresh eye maybe be better.

Don't think that's medically possible ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Wonder where they mean for West Dublin branch - Tallaght, Clondalkin, Blanch? Would love it if was near me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

^ here's hoping for Lucan / Clondalkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

Just signed up for the Cork one. Hope it's as good as others have said.

• Advertisement

I was in the Swords branch last week. It was a nice place and the people I dealt with seemed very friendly.

I only have 2 complaints -

The doctor I saw was very enthusiastic and friendly, but he had a very thick Indian accent which made it tricky to understand everything, I had to ask him to repeat stuff a few times which was a little embarrassing. I didn't really feel I could mention this as I would probably be accused of racism or something.

Also, the walls are paper thin! My OH was sat in the waiting area while I went in and he said he could hear our entire conversation word for word!! Thankfully there was nobody else there at the time, but if there had been it would have been very awkward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was in the Swords branch..
    Also, the walls are paper thin! My OH was sat in the waiting area while I went in and he said he could hear our entire conversation word for word!! ..
    You should make the practice aware of this asap. They may not know. Suggest they put a radio in the waiting room or something

snubbleste wrote: »
    You should make the practice aware of this asap. They may not know. Suggest they put a radio in the waiting room or something

To be honest I would say they are very much aware. The reception desk was closer to the room I was in then my OH was, so if he could hear, the guy sitting on reception most definitely could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

To be truthful the swords branch is a bit of a state. They carried out renovation works a few months back and basically got it finished and then just stopped.

From the works a couple of roof tiles need replacing, partition wall needs to be painted and skirting put around it.

Truthfully it just makes the practice look unprofessional and unclean, which in a doctors isn't exactly what you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I got a flyer through the door for this recently. If I lived any closer to Sandyford or Swords I'd be signing up now.

http://www.gpnow.ie/

Unlimited GP visits
    No extra or hidden charges
    Modern, private medical centre
    Includes blood tests
    Repeat prescriptions
    Administration of vaccines included
    Reduced waiting times
    Annual Flu Vaccination
    Open Saturdays and late night Wednesday

YEAH RIGHT!! brilliant though!

I've seen the same doctor in the Cork place twice and honestly, unless I get to see the other doctor and they prove to me that its worthwhile, I'll be leaving the practice. I've come out feeling like I'm not being listened to and I'm being fobbed off, and have been given incorrect information about medication prescribed to me from the doctor in one of the appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I've seen the same doctor in the Cork place twice and honestly, unless I get to see the other doctor and they prove to me that its worthwhile, I'll be leaving the practice. I've come out feeling like I'm not being listened to and I'm being fobbed off, and have been given incorrect information about medication prescribed to me from the doctor in one of the appointments.

Likewise. I found the quality of the doctors (in Sandyford anyway) to be crap.

We cancelled our membership at the weekend. Not worth it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

quarryman wrote: »
    Likewise. I found the quality of the doctors (in Sandyford anyway) to be crap.

We cancelled our membership at the weekend. Not worth it IMO.

I signed up with them when they were starting off but have not extended my membership because the quality of care is now unacceptable.

In the beginning they had a great doctor under contract who was outstanding but soon began using doctors who were clearly not able to communicate in English and had limited experience with patient care. For most assistance I required they had to consult their computer over and over plus used the internet for even basic medical questions.

On 2 occasions the doctor decided to prescribe me medication which should not be taken with the other medication I was on. I clearly asked him and he was “no that is all fine” but when I gave the prescription to my pharmacy they were immediately concerned, so I went back to my old GP and stayed there.

This business concept will only work if they sign up enough people that will not use their service at all or only once a year and if they can bring down the cost of the service as much as possible by using lower quality of facilities and service only to the minimum standard acceptable. Otherwise this business does not make sense for them.

Yes this will work for some people who only require basic services and can accept a lower standard of quality/care but I would not use them again or even recommend them to anybody based on my experience.

I signed up with them when they were starting off but have not extended my membership because the quality of care is now unacceptable.

In the beginning they had a great doctor under contract who was outstanding but soon began using doctors who were clearly not able to communicate in English and had limited experience with patient care. For most assistance I required they had to consult their computer over and over plus used the internet for even basic medical questions.

On 2 occasions the doctor decided to prescribe me medication which should not be taken with the other medication I was on. I clearly asked him and he was “no that is all fine” but when I gave the prescription to my pharmacy they were immediately concerned, so I went back to my old GP and stayed there.

This business concept will only work if they sign up enough people that will not use their service at all or only once a year and if they can bring down the cost of the service as much as possible by using lower quality of facilities and service only to the minimum standard acceptable. Otherwise this business does not make sense for them.

Yes this will work for some people who only require basic services and can accept a lower standard of quality/care but I would not use them again or even recommend them to anybody based on my experience.

That was exactly my experience. The doctor seemed to have poor english and seemed to rely on finding the solution to the problem by using the internet.

It's the Ryanair of GP care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭tomslick

Anybody else used the Cork office? I've joined the family up and have had no need to use it. If it's as poor as has been said I may have to "visit" myself. Any info would be great as I don't want to send a sick family member into a substandard place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

tomslick wrote: »
    Anybody else used the Cork office? I've joined the family up and have had no need to use it. If it's as poor as has been said I may have to "visit" myself. Any info would be great as I don't want to send a sick family member into a substandard place.

I used it about two weeks ago for my son. There was no wait, nice office, friendly competent doctor, I was delighted coming out.

After finding the service poor we decided to cancel our subscription.

One month later (after being promised otherwise) we were charged again.

Rang them up to find it was a "glitch" and it wouldn't happen again. Of course, we would have never found out or have been refunded if we hadn't checked.

Checked this month and we were charged AGAIN. Have been promised it would be sorted this time.

Be careful of these guys, my suspicion is that if you try to cancel they will continue to charge you in the hope that you won't notice. Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Could I use this service to get checked for prostate cancer? Or would that be a referral to a different GP that I would have to pay full price to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Rang them up to find it was a "glitch" and it wouldn't happen again. Of course, we would have never found out or have been refunded if we hadn't checked.

Checked this month and we were charged AGAIN. Have been promised it would be sorted this time.

Be careful of these guys, my suspicion is that if you try to cancel they will continue to charge you in the hope that you won't notice. Scum.

Why not just inform your bank if it is via Direct Debit/Standing Order not to allow the transaction. Send a letter to your local branch informing them of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

If you use online banking, simply cancel your direct debit. If using credit card, notify your card issues to not accept any payment requests from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Scum is a bit harsh. As someone said already, cancel it on your online banking. You should always do this when you cancel a direct debit/standing order with someone.

Synode wrote: »
    Scum is a bit harsh. As someone said already, cancel it on your online banking. You should always do this when you cancel a direct debit/standing order with someone.

Yep maybe that term is a bit harsh.

But it's quite clear now that the scheme aims to keep taking the money until you complain multiple times. The DD will be cancelled but there is an expectation on the service provider to stop trying to take it.

Advertisement