Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Dundalk

Options
  • 05-04-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

What are people using in Dundalk for broadband? I was thinking of going with Sky but I'm not too sure. Digiweb maybe.

Lot of options to choose from!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

depends what you want.
    DSL, Wireless or Mobile broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

event wrote: »
    depends what you want.
    DSL, Wireless or Mobile broadband?

Was looking at wireless from Digiweb but have since decided on DSL seeing as there is a phone line going in to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

petes wrote: »
    Was looking at wireless from Digiweb but have since decided on DSL seeing as there is a phone line going in to the house.

I use Vodafone on an eircom line. Pulling in six megs but I'd be hopeful of a fibre upgrade in Dundalk soon!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

well then its much of a muchness.
    All providers will use the same line, so shop around and see who can give you the best deal/package

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Agent Mug

Hi Folks

What are people using in Dundalk for broadband? I was thinking of going with Sky but I'm not too sure. Digiweb maybe.

Check out bonkers.ie you'll find which is the best for your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

DO NOT GO WITH DIGIWEB

I am using vodafone, was with DW for about a year and it kept cutting out I called them and they terminated my contract for free due to bad service, then when I asked them for some code I needed to change to vodafone they were so rude said I would have the same probs I had with them with vodafone because where I lived. Guess what no problem at all. would never tell anyone to go digiweb I found them rude and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Depending on your distance from Clanbrassil street, Smart telecom is by FAR the best deal.

€30 per month for 24mbps with a 350gb fair usage limit.

Edit:
    Oh, and Vodafones support is dire, I'd avoid it if you can. They have tons of T and Cs that can feck you over as well and changed to your price plan extends your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Hi Folks

You should check out the Broadband thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 there are a lot of unhappy campers with Sky currently

Have you considered Net1 ?

Thanks for the replies folks, went with Vodafone in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

How much, what speeds etc?

• Advertisement

jamie72 wrote: »
    How much, what speeds etc?

€45 per month, up to 24Mb, 300GB allowance. Some phone calls etc. included in that that won't be used.

Not sure what speed the line is capable of and I don't know how close the nearest exchange is. As soon as it's in I'll post here and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Moving to sky broadband next week anyone on here have it ? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

You do know they started to install the fiber cabinets in Dundalk yesterday I have seen 2 on the avenue road and one in Lennonstown manor so far, so it is starting, finally DSL is going to be a thing of the past

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

You do know they started to install the fiber cabinets in Dundalk yesterday I have seen 2 on the avenue road and one in Lennonstown manor so far, so it is starting, finally DSL is going to be a thing of the past

Must keep an eye out for them. Would like a fiber connection myself. How far can you be from a cabinet to get a connection?

Not to sure there is a thread on the broadband section here on tech so should answer your questions.

But the bare min should be 10MB but if your within a few hundred metres could be between 50 to 70...

Hopefully we get it up and running sooner rather than later and no more crap band

Had Vodafone on during the week saying I was going live on the 20th. If they're only installing now then that can't really be right, can it?

Are you in Dundalk or Drogheda ?

As the cabinets (only 3 I could find by driving around the town several times)

Were installed last week if your in Dundalk they are talking out of their hoop:P

Are you in Dundalk or Drogheda ?

As the cabinets (only 3 I could find by driving around the town several times)

Were installed last week if your in Dundalk they are talking out of their hoop:P

Dundalk.

Thought I had seen installation of cabinets some time back.

This upsets me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

MugMugs wrote: »
    Dundalk.

Thought I had seen installation of cabinets some time back.

This upsets me :(

The civils have been on-going along the Avenue Road for the past 3 weeks. No cabinets on show yet just excavations beside the old cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

cargo wrote: »
    The civils have been on-going along the Avenue Road for the past 3 weeks. No cabinets on show yet just excavations beside the old cabinets.

There is a new cabinet on the ave road entrance to bay estate...and someone said (earlier on here) there is also one down by lennonstown manor?

• Advertisement

One on the point road up opposite the GAA pitches, K&N digging yesterday no cabinet yet but will check later it is on the opposite side from the Black Original Cabinet

I received a text from Vodafone advising me that my connection had been upgraded to the maximum speed at no extra cost. Great I though. Hooked the laptop straight to the router with an ethernet and ran a speed test. Did this at 6 and 9 pm last night and 9 am and 12 today.

I'm averaging 3mbps where I used to average 7 :(

I would follow that up asap my best friend had a similar case in omeath and had to called Voda many times to get it changed, as basically there Tech Support and CS were lying through their teeth.

My advice is goto smart telecom, I did so last year and had very few problems and got great value for money, only drawback was waiting one month to change from vodacrap to smart.

I would follow that up asap my best friend had a similar case in omeath and had to called Voda many times to get it changed, as basically there Tech Support and CS were lying through their teeth.

My advice is goto smart telecom, I did so last year and had very few problems and got great value for money, only drawback was waiting one month to change from vodacrap to smart.

Was all set to switch to smart but will they be offering fibre when it's rolled out was my main concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

cargo wrote: »

The new plinth down alongside the ESB depot on the Avenue Road now has a new cabinet sitting on it.

So I had a look at the Eircom Fibre map.

Dundalk central is showing at July - December 2013.

Advertisement