Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providers and first time connection

• 05-04-2013 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

If a house has never had a telephone connected, does this mean that it is only Eircom that can provide a broadband connection? The wire comes to the font door but has never been drilled through and terminated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Basically eircom charges €121 inc vat to connect a house such as yours.

eircom then have permanent €0 promotions so you pay nothing to get connected but if you go with another carrier they may charge the full €121 list price.

You do not have an 'in situ' connection but require a 'new connection'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

do they allow you pay the connect fee? I tried recently and was told I'd have to sign up a contract with them for a year

I did offer to pay the connect fee but it seemed a non runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,887 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was the same as above. I just wanted a line installed and will to pay the 120 but they said no, have to go on a 12 month contract of 25 euro a month and would have to pay full amount (300 euro) to terminate the contract early.

I would prefer a landline for broadband but don't want to go with Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

ppshay wrote: »
    If a house has never had a telephone connected, does this mean that it is only Eircom that can provide a broadband connection? The wire comes to the font door but has never been drilled through and terminated.

Hi

There are alternatives out there in the form of fixed wireless and cable. A lot will depend on where you live. Visit the link below and enter your area and see what is available to you.

http://www.uchoose.ie/compare-broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

I understand there are alternatives.I currently have three nbs and have had digiweb until the signal got blocked by trees! just wanted land line bb from sky but it's impossible due to eircom forcing you to go with them for a year first

• Advertisement
Advertisement