Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another 'what bike?' thread.

• 05-04-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Right-o. As some of you will know from my previous thread, I high sided off my beloved cbr250rr in February.

Me and the lads haven't had much joy getting it fixed yet so I'm considering buying another bike, either as a successor or something to ride in the meantime.

I have a full A licence, but still have another year and a bit left on my restriction period so I'd prefer something I don't have spend money on to restrict.

I'm thinking sports bike again. Although I love all bikes, the sport ones are the only ones with handlebars that will fit through my side gate as it currently is.

I can't seem to look past a ninja 250r at the moment.

Budget is 3500, can be stretched. All advice welcome.

Thanks again lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

For 3500 youve a good lot of range on bikes, including factory restricted and bigger bikes with restrictions, already in place or added on by yourself. Thats a nice big budget!!

I had a restricted bandit as my first bike. Easy as piss to work on, grand for manouverin and weavin when i needed to. Only thing is its a big heavy and was a pain in the ass with the straight bars.

For sports bikes yyou could definitly get a restricted gixxer 6 in that money I reckon. With change for isnurance and treatin yourself to nice new gear if you wanted.

A cbr 6f or a gixxer 6 would be my numero unos straight away with a budget like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Mind you if its only in the mean time you could get and insure (Depending on your age) a cbrf3 for under 2k and save the rest for when your unrestricted and want to move up or upgrade again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

with that kind of budget why not look at a bigger machine thats restricted
    one advantage would be when your two years are up whip off the restrictor and have a ready made full fat machine
    earlly 00s superbikes are well within budget and still rock solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

coming from a cbr250rr, you'll be disappointed with the ninja250 I reckon... dont believe it actually has drop bars either, so might be an issue for the side gate too

reckon KI's cbrf3 suggestion is a great one - depending on the handlebar width though..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Keep em coming. Will definitely look into these.

Should have mentioned. I'm 24. So I don't know what the insurance companies will be like on restricted(Carole Nash) larger machines. Anybody any experience with this? I'll try ring my current insurer tomorrow and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I will be selling my 08 ninja 250r soon enough mate

It is in great condition, many members on here will vouch for it that iv met on the Sunday Spins

DSC_0002_zpsc980afc6.jpg

Pm me if you are interested mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yep...seen in the flesh and it would do Mr Sheen proud. Cracker of a bike.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you've got 18 months on your restriction then don't buy the 250, you'll only want to change again when your restriction is up. Get something bigger with a restriction on it and take off the restriction when your time is done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'd go for an '04 upward SV650, and if you've money left over stick a GSXR front end on her. A vtwin will restrict far better than an IL4.

Then go up the gap hunting and embarrassing supersport riders :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'd go for an '04 upward SV650, and if you've money left over stick a GSXR front end on her. A vtwin will restrict far better than an IL4.

Then go up the gap hunting and embarrassing supersport riders :cool:
    tourque restricts better

• Advertisement

Search over. Thank you for all your suggestions. And thank you to the boardsies who offered their bikes for sale. There was a fantastic fazer available but insurance was killing me. Same for the likes of the gsxr6 etc. Sv650 was an option, but I couldn't find very many great examples near to me when I went searching.

So in the end, I have gone for.....

A 07 Kawasaki ER5 from JP motorcycles.

I'll post a pic when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cool, good shop to buy from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

Pedro K wrote: »
    There was a fantastic fazer available but insurance was killing me.

Out of curiosity was the insurance really that bad? I'm insured TPFT on a 09 FZ6 S2 with 6 months restriction left and its only €480. I'm 21 by the way.

Best of luck with the new ER5!

Simon300 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity was the insurance really that bad? I'm insured TPFT on a 09 FZ6 S2 with 6 months restriction left and its only €480. I'm 21 by the way.

Best of luck with the new ER5!

yeah, carole and nash were looking for a scandalous amount off me. An additional 800 on what I've paid already.

I'm 24, full licence, two years ncb.

Where are you insured?

Edit: should say, that's TPFT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

Pedro K wrote: »
    yeah, carole and nash were looking for a scandalous amount off me. An additional 800 on what I've paid already.

I'm 24, full licence, two years ncb.

Where are you insured?

Edit: should say, that's TPFT too.

If you're under 25 the best bet is going with Liberty, they give the best quotes for young lads. Should also say I've 2 years ncb like yourself.

Put your details through the liberty online quote system you should be looking at around €400-430ish. How much are you currently paying?

Simon300 wrote: »
    If you're under 25 the best bet is going with Liberty, they give the best quotes for young lads. Should also say I've 2 years ncb like yourself.

Put your details through the liberty online quote system you should be looking at around €400-430ish. How much are you currently paying?

I was with liberty on my cbr250rr and they wanted 630. Carole and nash gave me a similar figure but with much more benefits...

Advertisement