Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Languages: What is German leaving cert equivalent to in CEFRL

• 05-04-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

What is a B1 in the Leaving Cert equivalent to, roughly in the common european framework of reference for languages?

I'm wondering as I want to buy a German language book but I'm not sure what level I need to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I would estimate it's around B1 CEFRL level. The LC aims to get you to that standard as far as I know, so a B1 is close enough - I study languages in college and on our module descriptors it tells us that anyone who gets a B in the module has achieved the level required by it.

What kind of book were you looking for though? I have a German grammar book and I think it's by Hammer or something. It's huge, but it covers everything really. If nothing else, have a look through some books to see if it looks a bit too easy/hard, but yeah you should be around or just below B1. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I would estimate it's around B1 CEFRL level. The LC aims to get you to that standard as far as I know, so a B1 is close enough - I study languages in college and on our module descriptors it tells us that anyone who gets a B in the module has achieved the level required by it.

What kind of book were you looking for though? I have a German grammar book and I think it's by Hammer or something. It's huge, but it covers everything really. If nothing else, have a look through some books to see if it looks a bit too easy/hard, but yeah you should be around or just below B1. :)
    Many thanks, I estimated myself at B1 also. I have done a bit of independent study since the LC. I was thinking of buying one of those large books which include a CV which are supposed to bring one up f.e from B1 to B2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ah right, well then with that study chances are you're definitely at B1 and probably now going above it. I've never seen those books but I'd say it's your best bet since it's likely to be more guided / structured than just a grammar book or something. Can't hurt anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Ah right, well then with that study chances are you're definitely at B1 and probably now going above it. I've never seen those books but I'd say it's your best bet since it's likely to be more guided / structured than just a grammar book or something. Can't hurt anyway!
    Alright, thanks again for the help!

Advertisement