Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Protector

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I wear one year round (knox aegis, and prior to that, a knox ricochet), and am a big fan.

Forcefield are supposedly the bestest of the best, but am happy with the knox stuff. Bought from motorcycleshop.ie (they have your combination above for about 145e inc free delivery. In fact, they have that track vest for 175e...)

Good source of warmth, the ole back protector - though Id be concerned about being absolutely baking in a combo chest/back protector personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

/edit hmm, bit of crappy smallprint to the trackvest - 'CE chest protector can be added as an optional extra.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah i am kinda leaning towards the combo of the Aegis and the chest protector. Just gotta measure myself later to get the right size in them.

Looking for some Givi stuff too for my SV so will see if i can get a deal if i buy all the stuff from the same place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about the Supershield? they are reasonably priced.
    I have a UFO one and it works very well and doesn't get too warm on hot days.
    The ones that you wear rather then put into a jacket are all a bit ninja turtle but I guess thay are a littleharder as well, most of them also have a kidney belt as well and that also makes a difference.

Good price on that dude. Looks good too.
    So many choices!

I also just opened my email to see this

http://shop.motorcyclenews.com/product/313/dainese-wave-air-level-2-back-protection/?utm_source=MCNshop&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=05_04_13

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The back protectors from Lidl are a good bit of kit for the price.

Pic of it here.....just to show what its like.

http://www.adverts.ie/motorbike-parts-accessories/motorbike-backprotector/292954

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have the Knox aegis and the chest protector. I find the back protector really comfortable but the chest protector is really bulky and I find it gets in the way. I'd go somewhere you can try it on under your gear and see how it is sitting on your bike before you fork out on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

goodlad wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Im in the market for a back protector. I don't have a fortune to spend but i still don't want a complete piece of crap.

What im looking at is this:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-field-armor-stryker-vest
    This would cost €125 + taxes if i get em

Problem is i cant get it in europe so will get hit with import taxes (maybe).

Or im looking at a combination of these two.

http://store.planet-knox.com/knox-armour/upper-body/16/chest-guard/
    http://store.planet-knox.com/knox-armour/upper-body/13/aegis-race-back-protector-with-coccyx/

These would cost €185 delivered. Possiby cheaper if i shop around.

Is there any protectors you guys recommend? I dont want something too bulky as my jacket is kinda tight already but sure it will loosen up a bit when i take out the **** "armor" in the back of it.

Tis also looks nice for €205 delivered, but its out of my price range atm.

http://store.planet-knox.com/knox-armour/upper-body/135/track-vest-our-best-selling-back-protector-in-a-gilet-style/

Gary,

I have the knox setup with the 9 plate back protector and the chest plate. You are more then welcome to check it out on the spins. I cant fault it at all nothing, the spine on the knox is brilliant as it actually move seperately to the plate above it so its very flexible. Cant recommend it enough....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I picked up a Dainese one for £70 during the Hein Gericke closing down fiasco, great bit of kit.

• Advertisement

Was in Phillip McCallen bikes yesterday and they had a Knox setup with 20% off......and it was the new style chest guard.

Thanks for all the replies.

I do like the look of some of the dainese products, especially the thorax wave pro. But im leaning more towards the knox setup.

Im possibly buying a knox setup from Kaimera, i just gotta see if the size he has is what would fit me.

I will check out that place you mentioned wonda, the website doesn't seem to have any sale on the stuff but i will fire off an email to them.

No probs Gary, I had the kit in my hands on Sat as Leppla is getting the setup aswell. You might get it cheaper in the UK and sent over but sure see how you go.

I know motorcycleshop.ie do the stuff aswell. I will suss out prices from a few places sure.

I know ya mentioned its the new style chest protector on the knox one.
    Is this the setup your talking about?

http://store.planet-knox.com/knox-armour/upper-body/16/chest-guard/
    http://store.planet-knox.com/knox-armour/upper-body/13/aegis-race-back-protector-with-coccyx/

Yes, but the 1st pic the chest guard is now different....its in the same style as the back plate white plastic not the black mesh.

Actually just looked online there....the white one is for leathers and the black one is for Textiles as its fatter.

So either one I suppose.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yes, but the 1st pic the chest guard is now different....its in the same style as the back plate white plastic not the black mesh.

Actually just looked online there....the white one is for leathers and the black one is for Textiles as its fatter.

So either one I suppose.

Linky?
    Would like to change mine to the white one if this is true

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Linky?
    Would like to change mine to the white one if this is true

http://store.planet-knox.com/knox/upper-body/101/sport-chest/

The white one is for under leathers and tighter clothes while the black bulky one is for textiles etc. TBH, I have the black one under leathers and its perfectly okay and from the look of the white one I think there is more protection in the black.

I have the black one also but I find it too bulky under my jacket. I might get the white one so and sell off the black one if anyone is interested.

Jaysus.. im a stumpy little fook! Its a 5 plate i need, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I have Knox Aegis size L nicely tucked away at home - I know I should be wearing it but... it would be ideal if I could find a thin insert that will fit into the back of my RICHA textile jacket... at least that way I will have no excuse for not wearing it.

My jacket is a bit big on me so im hoping it will fit on nicely under it.
    Tbh my jacket was pretty cheap anyways so if needs be i will ditch it and buy another one that will fit on over the back protector if needed.

I ended up buying the aegis back and chest protector.
    The back part is extremely comfortable but the chest part is possibly the most uncomfortable thing ever!

Its fine when im standing up straight but as soon as i sit onto the bike the chest protector moves a lot and hits off my arms when i bend forward to grab the bars. No matter what way i move of adjust it, its just in the way and deffo wont be worn ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

have you the chest protector on properly? silly I know but still!

I used to run the straps criss cross to help keep it tight

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

I have older version of the Dainese Wave back protector and have to say it's a great bit of kit. Fits well under the jacket and feels really secure. I had a few racing-offs wearing this back protector and it certainly did it's job, well worth the investment!

goodlad wrote: »
    I ended up buying the aegis back and chest protector.
    The back part is extremely comfortable but the chest part is possibly the most uncomfortable thing ever!

Its fine when im standing up straight but as soon as i sit onto the bike the chest protector moves a lot and hits off my arms when i bend forward to grab the bars. No matter what way i move of adjust it, its just in the way and deffo wont be worn ever.

I dont see how it can move as its tucked into your chest buy the straps off the back protector. If its hitting your arms then it has to be on wrong Gary, you can also higher and lower the plate with the velcro in the middle of the plate its not stuck fast.

Also you can adjust the height the straps clip onto the plate by the red hinges on each side.

Did you get the black chest piece or the white?
    See if that helps.

I tried em criss cross aswell to make sure its tight to me. Its fine when standing.
    But like i said, as soon as i lean or bend my arms forward the thing moves around a lot.

Tbh im thinking its because its too small. I think i might try out the L size on and see how that fits and if its ok i will try sell the small i have.
    If i have the protector sitting up to the correct spot and try cross my arms they immediately hit off the protector and prevent me from crossing my arms.

Its a pain in the hole tbh. Next time im out i will try on the L size one you have wonda and see what its like. Even describing the bollox fit of the one i have is difficult with text.

Im only doing a 6 day week from now on so should make it out for whenever the next spin is.

EDIT: Its the black chest

Advertisement