Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre modem for eircom FTTC connection

Options
  • 05-04-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I hate to display my ignorance in public but......
    I noticed in an ad for the above that a "free" fibre modem is included on upgrade.
    I understood that as my connection to the "Cabinet" will still be with good old copper wire that my existing modem would do.
    I use an Apple Time Capsule with it's Airport Extreme as a router with a Draytek Vigor 120 as a modem.
    It's a very convenient arrangement for my setup and I wouldn't care to have to change it un-necessarily.
    Apologies if this has been dealt with already, I did search!
    Any advice gratefully accepted1
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

you will either have to use the eircom supplied modem and bridge it to the airport, or buy a modem that is compatible with VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

allen175 wrote: »
    you will either have to use the eircom supplied modem and bridge it to the airport, or buy a modem that is compatible with VDSL.

Thank you.
    I did a bit of searching on a forum on the offshore island and it would appear that the telco supplied modem is the way to go.
    Interesting times ahead!
    I found that my wifi peripherals, esp Apple TV especially sensitive to changing the setup
    Thanks again!

allen175 wrote: »

Thank you.
    Last thing I need is yet another modem to add to my collection.
    Just one extra bit of info, if possible.
    I like to use Open DNS, on the theory that they are a bigger concern and all that goes with that.
    How likely is it that the new modem can be programmed to Open DNS, even if it's after the Man with the Van has left?
    I presume like most things.....it depends!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Last thing I need is yet another modem to add to my collection.
    Just one extra bit of info, if possible.
    I like to use Open DNS, on the theory that they are a bigger concern and all that goes with that.
    How likely is it that the new modem can be programmed to Open DNS, even if it's after the Man with the Van has left?
    I presume like most things.....it depends!
    I wouldn't use open DNS, they've a tendency for messing around with DNS results and doing some other jiggery pokery with can affect search results and they also do a lot of messing with advertising on websites.

Another thing is they tend to return us based DNS results which can affect download performance for something say like iTunes if you're downloading a
    Movie.

For DNS servers I use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which are Verizon servers I think

On the other hand opendns provides good content filtering services if you've kids at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I hate to display my ignorance in public but......
    I noticed in an ad for the above that a "free" fibre modem is included on upgrade.
    I understood that as my connection to the "Cabinet" will still be with good old copper wire that my existing modem would do.
    I use an Apple Time Capsule with it's Airport Extreme as a router with a Draytek Vigor 120 as a modem.
    It's a very convenient arrangement for my setup and I wouldn't care to have to change it un-necessarily.
    Apologies if this has been dealt with already, I did search!
    Any advice gratefully accepted1

Well there's no fibre modem pretty much anywhere in eircom's network (except in Wexford and Sandyford), it's just marketing guff, they will be supplying VDSL which is, as you note, a copper based product.

They VDSL modem they supply can be set to bridge mode (seemingly) so you can continue to use your current setup

• Advertisement

Thank you.
    Sorry for not replying sooner.

Advertisement