Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax - does your neighbours appraisal affect yours?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but I only just found out today that one of my neighbours have valued their house up a band, because they have built two stables next to their house and they're afraid of revenue coming to check and charging them more because of their stables (or something).

As far as I know the building was all done 'above board'. They have a tiny 2 bed house, mine is bigger but not in a great state and is currently for sale at 100k (and I would gladly take 70k), my elderly relatives live in the same lane in a house the same size as the neighbours and they have valued in the bottom band as well.

There are 3 houses in the lane but I wouldn't know them well enough to enquire about such information but I would imagine they would value in the lowest band, it's in the a**e end of nowhere in the West of Ireland (my house has been for sale for over 2 years now). I'm just wondering if my neighbours appraisal will affect mine, as in 'same address but different band, is she trying it on' type thing, I also don't want it to have repurcussions for my elderly relatives, the thing is, I think our appraisal is geniune and theirs is inflated.

Any thoughts? Or am I being paranoid and worrying without reason?

It started me wondering

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Nope, shouldn't affect you. As you said your neighbour have built two stables next to their house - therefore this increases the value of their property. If you value your house at what you honestly believe your house is worth, they won't come after you. If you purposefully value your house, say, 3 bands lower than your neighbours, that is sure to raise some eyebrows with the Revenue

Advertisement