Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Tayto lost their edge ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The last few packets of Tayto Ive had have actually been very flavoursome,
    so if anything, they are are going through a bit of a purple patch imo...
    Keep it up!
    I had a packet of Smokey Bacon yesterday and they were incredibly salty. I could hardly taste any smokey bacon flavouring at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I had a jumbo size packet of Kings crisps last Saturday night. Hadn't had any junk food for 46 days. Was disgusted at myself that I ate the entire pack and at how fast I ate them:( They were lovely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They have an imposter Tayto in the UK. Not the same as the real thing. :(

Just like Bulmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

does anyone notice the quality in the multipacks is **** compared to the single packs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Tayto are great for a good old fashioned pack o' cheese 'n' onion.

If it's the Rolls Royce of crisps you're looking for then look no further than O'Donnell's cider vinegar and sea salt crisps. Magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Are you mad? Tayto have really sharp edges

I once killed a man, taytoed him to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

theglobe wrote: »
    does anyone notice the quality in the multipacks is **** compared to the single packs?
    Your quite right there, i dunno is there like a reject potato line they get made from :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

anyone else think tayto's you get in the pub taste better than the ones you get in a supermarket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

theglobe wrote: »
    Or if you take a crisp from someone else's packet it tastes nicer then when you get your own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

blade1 wrote: »
    anyone else think tayto's you get in the pub taste better than the ones you get in a supermarket?
    That might have more to do with the booze than the quality of the crisps,the only time most sane people would eat a kebab is after a night on the booze:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Tayto / Toyota - what's going on?? Who is next???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

They definitely don't taste the same as they did during my childhood, having said that I remember when a bag of cheese & onion was 3p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

blade1 wrote: »

Yeah - and its not even the alcohol. If you are driving and have a lucozade or miwadi with them, they still taste miles better.

Maybe its some sort of placebo affect? Like lads that claim Guinness is crap in pub x, but great in pub y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Tayto Cheese & Onion crisps, a Cadbury's Dairy Milk Bar and a Can of Coke...the snack of Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Perri's prawn cocktail flavour always had the edge in terms of crisps for me. Haven't seen them for a considerably long time however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Barlett wrote: »
    Tayto Cheese & Onion crisps, a Cadbury's Dairy Milk Bar and a Can of Coke...the snack of Champions

I don't suppose you're any relation to the crowd that does Albert Bartlett rooster potatoes?

Just a curiosity :D

EDIT: I just realised it's Barlett, not Bartlett... my bad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

I'll have a packet of King please!

Anyone remember Beefies came out around the same time as Meanies?

Meanies sandwich, LOVELY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

This tread is giving me the Munchies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Taytos are disgusting. As are tayto sandwiches.

There, I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

1ZRed wrote: »
    Taytos are disgusting. As are tayto sandwiches.

There, I said it.
    TAKE IT BACK!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Perri Pan Fried. Now -they- were crisps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Best cheese and onion ive ever had is ODonnels Tipperary cheese and onion crisps mmmmmm :D Seriously taste them once and you"ll never go back :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

TAKE IT BACK!!!! :mad:

Make me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Perri's prawn cocktail flavour always had the edge in terms of crisps for me. Haven't seen them for a considerably long time however.

Tayto are made where Mr. Perri used to be. I don't think (could be wrong) that they make Mr. Perri anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Remember those little circular shaped packs of a variety of small bits of wood to snack on. I remember one of the little yokes was a mini pretzel made out of a pencil.

Welcome to my house, quench your hunger with a selection of small twigs. Can't remember what they were called, but somebody mentioned Pombear in an earlier post, and I am convinced he had something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I read somewhere (haven't been able to find it again) that the potatoes in Tayto come from Poland. Anyone know if there's any truth in this?
    It'd be quite funny if it was true, for something that really plays the Irish product card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Jasus I'm now hanging for a bag of Taytos. ****in manky pretend Taytos in the UK with there cheap looking yellow and red bags with flavourless crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Cliste wrote: »
    *their

</facepalm>
    http://cdn3.keeplaugh.com/pics/141719.jpg

Bloody stupid no pic rule

</shakes fist>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Lelantos wrote: »
    They definitely don't taste the same as they did during my childhood, having said that I remember when a bag of cheese & onion was 3p

When they went up to 3p I refused to buy them for a month. Switched to Golden Wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Toasted cheese sarni with buffalo hunky doreys.

Tis only savage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I love walkers. Best crisps going!!

King wins the smelly breath category though, Christ do they flavour them with cheese and onion farts or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Snax, WTF did they mess with SNAX. :(

I had a packet of snax a few weeks ago, and was devasted to see what they had become. They used to be one of my favourite crisps.

They're ****ing awful now. Cheese rolls will never be the same again. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Their edge? They've always been the cheapest nastiest tasting crisps out there. Walkers FTW or even Kings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Worst crisp flavour ever? Ready Salted !!:mad::mad:

I mean, what sick fup came up with that sh1te :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Worst crisp flavour ever? Ready Salted !!:mad::mad:

I mean, what sick fup came up with that sh1te :eek::eek:

Worst is when ya have a walkers multi-pack where they colour the packs red and not thinking ya dip in thinkin yer getting a nice pack of cheese and onion, till you're greeted with that Bland bleh taste instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Jasus I'm now hanging for a bag of Taytos. ****in manky pretend Taytos in the UK with there cheap looking yellow and red bags with flavourless crisps.

Was in a hotel in belfast and came across these abominations, stood in the lobby, saying in the biggest boggeriest kildare accent, WTF are these?? These aren't real tayto these are bollox tayto! That night a riot kicked off outside city hall just over from where we were :P

Also this
    :D viva la tayto!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Hi, you cant beat tayto Cheese and onion. Its only when you cant get them that you realise how much you miss them...

My daughter got this sad Tayto crisp and I had to hold on to the poor fellow.
    Think the recession must be getting him down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Now I will never disrespect Tayto, given that they reared me since I was a chap. They saw me through difficult times at school, when my dog Jack died and when I got dumped time and time again. I even had them at my wedding.

However, things move on, relationships fade and we find new love in our lives when we thought there was no hope. My heart now belongs to O'Donnell's Mature Cheese and Red Onion. This time, I think the relationship will last. I know I'll be an outcast, but one day it will be normal to walk down the street with a pack in my hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

oldyouth wrote: »
    Now I will never disrespect Tayto, given that they reared me since I was a chap. They saw me through difficult times at school, when my dog Jack died and when I got dumped time and time again. I even had them at my wedding.

However, things move on, relationships fade and we find new love in our lives when we thought there was no hope. My heart now belongs to O'Donnell's Mature Cheese and Red Onion. This time, I think the relationship will last. I know I'll be an outcast, but one day I hope it will be normal to walk down the street with my package in my hand

FYP :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

^^^^^^^^
    That happened too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I too am a fan of Walkers and haven't devoured Tayto for the last while. The other day I bought a bag of Tayto with my lunch, they were delicious. Guess what i'm saying is that when you haven't eaten the brand of crisps in a long time, its hits home that they are quite nice when you do have them. Always in my thoughts :)

Oh and Ready Salted crisps are quite ediblely wonderful, dunno whats wrong with people who hate them, puzzling :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I ate a packet of Walkers there, says 'Unmistakably' Cheese & Onion but I had to check the packet again as they taste like Ready Salted?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Tayto are the king of cheese and onion - tis a complete ba$tard though the way you've to buy a multipack to get some smokey bacon.

Walkers' Prawn Cocktail are decent but they don't come near Tayto for Cheese and Onion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Love their fancy salt and vinegar ones OH YES

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Tayto are the king of cheese and onion - tis a complete ba$tard though the way you've to buy a multipack to get some smokey bacon.

Walkers' Prawn Cocktail are decent but they don't come near Tayto for Cheese and Onion.
    Tayto Prawn Cocktail > Walkers Prawn Cocktail (or any Walkers' crisps, come to think of it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tayto aren't what they used to be. To turn the tide, I propose a gaa themed advertising campaign, mainly gaa players recounting their love for the game and tayto crisps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

i worked in largo for a bit over the summer, and when largo bought out tayto, they moved them from coolock to curragha/ashbourne, where perri, hunky dorys etc were produced. the perri main line of salt and vinegar, cheese and onion, prawn coctail etc was scrapped, but they continue to produce onion rings and what not under the perri brand. most sam spudz stuff is being rebranded under the tayto banner

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Ready salted are mank. So are smokey bacon.

Bacon fries and scampi fries rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Not the same since they were sold and closed the factory in coolock. I miss the strange smell of crisps and chocolate in the air around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The last time I bought a nice packet of cheese and onion Tayto I think I paid 11 pence for them. Around the time the price rose to 12 pence every packet would be practically full of horrible burnt crisps. The one or two crisps that weren't burnt would taste like manure.

I have no idea what they taste like now as I haven't bought a packet in years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement