Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeez, That Ruairi Quinn's a genius!

• 05-04-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

According to the Irish Times yesterday he is going to square the circle, invent the perpetual motion machine and open an alchemy plant.

Or as good as.

No. He's actually going to slash waiting lists for schools, and ban most selection procedures such as preferential treatment to families and interviews of prospective children. All while trying to cut a billion out of the budget.

Why has nobody thought of this before?

Down at the bottom of the piece there was a niggly little sentence which alludes to the problem he faces.
    "In the 20 per cent of schools where demand exceeds supply there was a need for clarity on enrolment, he said."

No ****, Sherlock!

And what are the 20 per cent of schools where "demand exceeds supply", I wonder?

Perhaps somebody here could enlighten me. (I am not a teacher)

My guess is that most of them are in Dublin and that many of them are non fee paying schools. Am I right?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What will happen is that parents will place names on every single school list far and wide, it will be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

No. He's actually going to slash waiting lists for schools, and ban most selection procedures such as preferential treatment to families and interviews of prospective children. All while trying to cut a billion out of the budget.
    I don't see how this has amything to do with budget. I've never seen it mentioned in the context of cost-cutting.
    Down at the bottom of the piece there was a niggly little sentence which alludes to the problem he faces.
    "In the 20 per cent of schools where demand exceeds supply there was a need for clarity on enrolment, he said."
    It's hardly tucked away at the bottom of the article. It's a short 6-paragrapher and it's the final paragraph. It's what the whole initiative and the whole article is about - presumably where supply exceeds demand, the school can fill its places in any order it chooses.
    And what are the 20 per cent of schools where "demand exceeds supply", I wonder?

Perhaps somebody here could enlighten me. (I am not a teacher)

My guess is that most of them are in Dublin and that many of them are non fee paying schools. Am I right?
    I would say that most sizable towns have "the good school" where people are hoping to send their kids. There are certainly several schools I can think of in Dublin. What is your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

So basically a parent could have a child in school A. Few years later they plan to send second child there so uniform books transport etc are the same BUT they lose the "lottery " . More expense ...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Also means ALL schools must have some sort of plan/provision for students with special educational needs. I've met teachers who still don't know what an SNA is!! Interesting for them if Ruairi's plan comes to fruition!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

derb12 wrote: »
    I would say that most sizable towns have "the good school" where people are hoping to send their kids. There are certainly several schools I can think of in Dublin. What is your point?

I think this good school bad school idea is a myth in modern Ireland. Academically a school could be good but behaviorally it good be brutal and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

My point is that there will always be good schools and bad schools and others in between, pace Mardy Burn's comment below. Parents will naturally want to send their children to the good schools, however they may wish to define them.

The question will always be: "How can we ensure our children go to good schools?" One answer, in the cities at any rate is "We will pay to send our children to private schools" Unless you happen to be one of the truly privileged people who manage successfully to get their children into non fee paying schools with good reputations.

My question was what are the 20 per cent of schools that are over subscribed? I would bet that most of them are good non fee paying schools in Dublin. But I don't know. I thought somebody here might.

I don't see how this has amything to do with budget. I've never seen it mentioned in the context of cost-cutting.
    It all comes down to cash in the end. I think most teachers would agree with that.

presumably where supply exceeds demand, the school can fill its places in any order it chooses.

Well that's a whole lot of nothing.
    If a school is undersubscribed, it doesn't need a selection policy.
    If it's oversubscribed and can "fill its places in any order it chooses" there's no need for change.

He obviously means schools that pick and choose, whether they are fee paying or not.

Mardy Burn wrote:
    I think this good school bad school idea is a myth in modern Ireland. Academically a school could be good but behaviorally it good be brutal and vice versa

Schools that people want to send their kids to are good ones. Schools that parents will pay fees or commute long distances to avoid are bad ones. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Schools that people want to send their kids to are good ones. Schools that parents will pay fees or commute long distances to avoid are bad ones. Simples.

I was talking from a teachers point of view. What a parent things and the actual reality of the situation can be very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

km79 wrote: »
    So basically a parent could have a child in school A. Few years later they plan to send second child there so uniform books transport etc are the same BUT they lose the "lottery " . More expense ...

Many ET schools operate on a lottery basis now. Parents are well aware of this when they enrol their first child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Many ET schools operate on a lottery basis now. Parents are well aware of this when they enrol their first child.
    That's an awful policy to have in all fairness. Whatever about children who have past pupils as siblings or parents, children who have siblings as current students should obviously be given priority. It doesn't make sense not to for the reasons already mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RealJohn wrote: »
    That's an awful policy to have in all fairness. Whatever about children who have past pupils as siblings or parents, children who have siblings as current students should obviously be given priority. It doesn't make sense not to for the reasons already mentioned.

See though, this is one of those things that it should be up to the parents to be out protesting about, and writing to their TDs etc.

Imagine if someone has two kids in two different schools, the expense, the school runs in the morning and evening to multiple schools, it's going to put a lot of pressure onto a lot of people.

But I bet most prospective parents won't even realise such problems until it's too late, because the only time a lot of people take notice of what the Education Minister is doing is when they want to bash teachers...worse, when it comes in, I bet you anything that teachers take all the flack for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

Don't get indignant about legislation that doesn't exist yet. As the last poster said - lobby your TD to get the sibling criteria included if that is what you believe in. FYI the original discussion paper seems to suggest that the sibling criteria has legitimacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Basically RQ is like a kid with a hammer....everything he sees is a nail.

He's all over the shop...

Reform JC
    Reform LC
    Reform Maths
    Reform teachers' education
    Reform teachers terms and conditions
    Reform Primary school entrance policies
    Reform special needs (by cut backs)
    Reform school patronage
    Reform public vs. fee charging schools

And how does he intend to do all this?
    Well apart from the money that was already laid out for Project Maths...he achieves all of this reform by ...you guessed it..investing in cutbacks

Advertisement