Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Everton

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Passes going nowhere though...jury is well and truly out on mr holtby

Exactly . Going square with passes is not good enough from an "attacking" midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Emoran wrote: »
    I thought you had gone ? Seems you only show up for a good aul whinge

How the **** is AVB draining the team ?!

Your footballing knowledge really is baffling.

Nah I just got fed up with people taking things personel. That and I haven't. Been around. Don't miss a match now or people will be suggesting you're a fair weather fan (which I think you are anyway)

But if that's the way you want it then so be it. If you cant figure out why I suggested the team are drained then you're not up to speed. I thought it was a fair enough point. I'm not gonna just float down a river like a broken twig and just go with the all too easy flow as you do in all your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Nah I just got fed up with people taking things personel. That and I haven't. Been around. Don't miss a match now or people will be suggesting you're a fair weather fan (which I think you are anyway)

But if that's the way you want it then so be it. If you cant figure out why I suggested the team are drained then you're not up to speed. I thought it was a fair enough point. I'm not gonna just float down a river like a broken twig and just go with the all too easy flow as you do in all your posts.

You definitely don't take things personal anyway like the rest of us do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Only caught the highlights this morning, looks like we were unlucky, hit the bar on 55mins and a few other good efforts. Heard we had to penalty shouts but didn't see them..? Also how the ref didn't see a foul in their first was a shocker, he was staring straight at it...
    5.png
    Left back looks to be a problem for us and teams are wide to this, BAE is a liability and both Vertonghen & Naughton are not natural left backs. Alot of teams have focusing on this wing as our weakness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Looking back, while we dropped points, we can take some positives from it. We did well to fight back for a draw and showed that there is a fight in us unlike our flop last year. The ref did us no favours. I thought some players played well, namely Parker, Dembele, Ade, Siggy, they stepped up to the mark and showed what they can do. Huddlestone and Carroll did well too when they came on, I'd like to see more of Carroll. On the downside, Dempsey and Holtby were poor and Dawson had a terrible game, not sure what's wrong with him, he's usually solid.

• Advertisement

As I said, missed the full game but most reports suggest Hotlby put in a good performance and Dembele was poor, hence he was replaced. Doesn't seem to be the same on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I don't remember Holtby doing anything of value? Dembele worked extremely hard and nearly scored only for a top notch save from Howard. Replacing him made no sense, although Huddlestone looked very sharp when he came on. What Dempsey was still doing there is anyone's guess? I dare say he was puzzled himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

As I said, missed the full game but most reports suggest Hotlby put in a good performance and Dembele was poor, hence he was replaced. Doesn't seem to be the same on here...

I thought Dembele was brilliant, and walker too, both wanting to get on the ball and make things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I thought the performance was decent and the result was good considering that we were missing our 2 most important attacking options.

Our best players IMO were Ade, Dembele and Siggy.

I wanted throttle Walker for the 25 minutes he gave after everton went ahead. It was clear they were trying to run down the clock as soon as they scored and he gave away 2/3 fouls outside the everton box when there was absolutely no need. Then he decides to do it again outside our box in the last seconds. Really frustrating.

At the end of the day though we need to be beating Everton at home(who were also missing players) if we want to finish 3rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I thought Dembele was brilliant, and walker too, both wanting to get on the ball and make things happen.

Hatch we must have been watching different games ref Walker. I thought he was a headless chicken yday. He kept running in to Baines as opposed to trying to beat him and he is some boy for giving away needless frees in dangerous positions. Dembele played well but was tiring and Hudd looked sharp when he came on.

Not sure about Carroll lads whenever i've seen him to date when he gets the ball his first inclination is to move it sideways or back not forward. I know he's only a pup so plenty of time to develop , but for me just not in the cut and thrust of a top 4 challenge.

In AVB we trust.

• Advertisement

Hatch we must have been watching different games ref Walker. I thought he was a headless chicken yday. He kept running in to Baines as opposed to trying to beat him and he is some boy for giving away needless frees in dangerous positions. Dembele played well but was tiring and Hudd looked sharp when he came on.

Headless chicken is harsh no ? Baines is a good defender so credit where it's due. Also, walker normally has Lennon as an option on his side, yesterday he had nobody, he was right full and right wing all in one. I thought the only way we were going to get some success was down his side, and the equaliser all came from Walker and his persistance in going at Baines on his own all day. As for giving away frees, Anichebe was strong all day long, and if he had of musceled walker off the ball that time, we'd be giving out, walker gave him a nudge and Anichebe went down very easily, so you can't win either way.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    As for giving away frees, Anichebe was strong all day long, and if he had of musceled walker off the ball that time, we'd be giving out, walker gave him a nudge and Anichebe went down very easily, so you can't win either way.

No you can win. Anichebe is facing the touchline 30 yards away from goal with 20 secs left. Stand with him, show him out wide and the game is over. The ref was giving those decisions all game so its going to be a free if he touches him. Needlessly puts us in the position of defending a set piece with the last attack of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Looking back, while we dropped points, we can take some positives from it. We did well to fight back for a draw and showed that there is a fight in us unlike our flop last year. The ref did us no favours. I thought some players played well, namely Parker, Dembele, Ade, Siggy, they stepped up to the mark and showed what they can do. Huddlestone and Carroll did well too when they came on, I'd like to see more of Carroll. On the downside, Dempsey and Holtby were poor and Dawson had a terrible game, not sure what's wrong with him, he's usually solid.

Dawson had a poor game alright but that is 17 games undefeated with him in the starting team this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

slegs wrote: »
    Dawson had a poor game alright but that is 17 games undefeated with him in the starting team this season!

I thought he was also poor against Basel, which was odd as he has been excellent this season. Hopefully it's just a blip and he'll have Verts alongside him again in our next PL match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Walker deserves some credit for his performance yesterday, he put in a good shift. We should have seen an all round improvement in his game this season, he’s been very inconsistent throughout the year.

Some of his performances have been shocking, normally it’s his pace that saves him. His positional sense at times is downright dangerous. He looks like he watches too much WWE and fancies himself as a wrestler.

Boisterous pig headed character with a lot of maturing to do as seen yesterday with his temper tantrum. I hope one of the senior players had a word in his ear. He’s a raw talent and needs guidance, defending is an art.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    No you can win. Anichebe is facing the touchline 30 yards away from goal with 20 secs left. Stand with him, show him out wide and the game is over. The ref was giving those decisions all game so its going to be a free if he touches him. Needlessly puts us in the position of defending a set piece with the last attack of the game

I wouldn't disagree with you fella, stand up and be strong, I agree, but that's what you get with walker, it was the same up in sunderland, he's a bit too rash.

"There were some good individual performances," said Andre. "We have players out and that gives other players the opportunity to step up.

"We saw Lewis Holtby step up a level, Gylfi Sigurdsson is increasing his form, Emmanuel Adebayor has been impressive and is back to his goalscoring ways, Tom Huddlestone and Tom Carroll both did well when they came into the game.

"I think this is a stimulus for everyone, it means we have players we can count on and that may be a decisive factor."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was surprised with the Dembele/Hudd swap towards the end, but it worked out pretty well from what i saw. We went from Dembele, who pretty much exclusively makes forward runs, to Hudd who has a fantastic long ball. It's not easy for a team to adapt to that quickly, and i guess the hope was we'd catch them off guard. To be fair to Hudd, he was actually pretty good when he came on (i was as surprised as the rest of you).

Ade was very good yesterday. Really looked fired up, and almost looked like he did last year. Shame it's taken so bloody long for him to get to that point though. Walker...i dunno. He is at times brilliant, at times frustrating as hell. His decision making is quite poor at times, but when he gets going he can be brilliant. Holtby was good, but didn't do a huge amount. Lots of side to side passing, which he needs to stop doing. Look for the forward passes, and get the team up the pitch.

Finally...Jan is a legend. End of :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/4/8/4196814/lewis-holtby-tottenham-everton-midfield-epl-dembele?

Not really a fair assessment in my opinion as he heaps too much praise on Holtby. As was said his passes didn't particularly go anywhere apart from a few key passes. Still though, he's done better that some people suggest and the 4 months in the PL this season will hopefully be him only bedding in. £1.6m for those performances is fine by me considering we've paid £16m (then ridiculous wages on top of that) for Bentley amongst other expensive flops.

Pretty much sums us the view on his performance from yids on the tweet machine... The image shows roughly 40% of his passes going sideways but I think the thing with him is that his passes are quick, often one or two touches, probably too fast for players like Parker who likes toi take a few touches and inevitably slows the ball down..
    OWMQakf_medium.png
    The article sounds pretty fair questioning if he is the best option in the centre of the park but that it was probably his best performance to date, hence why AVB singled him out for praise..

At the moment he reminds me of a young enthusiastic Jamie O'Hara however he's only with us a few months and I can see him getting better in the same way Gylfi is starting to..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Pretty much sums us the view on his performance from yids on the tweet machine... The image shows roughly 40% of his passes going sideways but I think the thing with him is that his passes are quick, often one or two touches, probably too fast for players like Parker who likes toi take a few touches and inevitably slows the ball down..
    OWMQakf_medium.png
    The article sounds pretty fair questioning if he is the best option in the centre of the park but that it was probably his best performance to date, hence why AVB singled him out for praise..

At the moment he reminds me of a young enthusiastic Jamie O'Hara however he's only with us a few months and I can see him getting better in the same way Gylfi is starting to..

excellent comparison to Jamie O hara :-) I agree completely.

I hope i am wrong but when people incl AVB were calling him the new "VDV" then i think they were way off.

One thing I'll give Holtby is that he works his ballicks off. If he gives it away, he'll work to try and get it back. He hasn't impressed us all with his football ability too much maybe, but you can't fault him for effort.

I think that holtby is possibly just trying too hard when hes on the ball at times. I am happy for him to be the player who buzzes around the middle, takes the ball and lays it off again and moves the opposition around a bit.

To people saying that he was passing sideways too much on sunday then one factor certainly has to be taken into account and that is that bale or lennon were not there. We essentially had no pace in attack and no one to look for a ball in behind everton. Siggy and Dempsey just want the ball to feet. That left Ade with his only real forward option and he was isolated too often i think

Advertisement