Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude staff in Carlow town shops?

Options
  • 05-04-2013 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone think some staff around some certain Carlow Town shops and restaurants are very rude and ungrateful? I moved her a year ago and I now have to avoid Supervalu, and Centra at Staplestown Road, because i found some of the staff there were very rude and miserable. I mean one of the staff in Supervalu practically barked at me, because she asked if I wanted to cashback, and I just asked what was cashback because it was my first time using a VISA card and she responded very rudely..

Also one woman at Centra weirds me out. I went up to her at the counter like I usually do, and I was looking through my purse for my money and she was scanning my item. I glanced up, and she was staring me out of it really weirdly as if I came from another planet. I didnt do anything, just did what I always do when buying things. Ever since I go in, she never tries to smile and acts as if she does not want me there when i buy stuff, so i just dont bother anymore. If it was a once off bad day, I can forgive, but it was like that all the time going into Supervalu and Centra.

I dunno, it just pisses me off how rude staff are these days. You would think that they would be grateful that they have some sort of a job at least in these times but they act as if they don't want to be there. I am 20 and still have yet to find myself part-time work. I'd would give anything to work in a shop or something to pay my way through college, and if I did, I would at least say hi and pull a smile or something to customers.

I dunno, has anyone else experianced rude staff around Carlow Town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

rox5 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone think some staff around some certain Carlow Town shops and restaurants are very rude and ungrateful? I moved her a year ago and I now have to avoid Supervalu, and Centra at Staplestown Road, because i found some of the staff there were very rude and miserable. I mean one of the staff in Supervalu practically barked at me, because she asked if I wanted to cashback, and I just asked what was cashback because it was my first time using a VISA card and she responded very rudely. I was so shocked and taken back that i think she noticed, because she then quickly put on a hasty smile. But that didn't work as I completely avoid it unless I was really desperate to get something in there or I avoid the times that she seems to be at the till.

Also one woman at Centra weirds me out. I went up to her at the counter like I usually do, and I was looking through my purse for my money and she was scanning my item. I glanced up, and she was staring me out of it really weirdly as if I came from another planet. I didnt do anything, just did what I always do when buying things. Ever since I go in, she never tries to smile and acts as if she does not want me there when i buy stuff, so i just dont bother anymore. If it was a once off bad day, I can forgive, but it was like that all the time going into Supervalu and Centra.

I dunno, it just pisses me off how rude staff are these days. You would think that they would be grateful that they have some sort of a job at least in these times but they act as if they don't want to be there. I am 20 and still have yet to find myself part-time work. I'd would give anything to work in a shop or something to pay my way through college, and if I did, I would at least say hi and pull a smile or something to customers.

And I am in NO WAY racist, ignorant or close-minded when it comes to international workers, but I have come across foreign workers who look moody all the time, moodier that your average miserable Irish worker, and who have very poor English, but become annoyed at you for not understanding. I understand that there is language barrier, but I can help but think that if your going to move to another country and get a job that a lot of local Irish people could have really needed, you should at least make the effort to know the language and to be nice and pull a smile or something and be grateful you got a job coming here! I remeber going to a clothes shop where a Polish staff worker was so smiley and positive with customers and had such good English, that I remember being in absolute shock looking at her doing her work, ha!

The two bits in bold.......end of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

racso1975 wrote: »
    The two bits in bold.......end of

Oh go away, trying to stir **** is what u are doing. I am not racist, I love travelling and taking in different cultures and talking to people abroad in places like France and Spain. it's just that I can help but noticed that when foreign workers come here, not all of them but just a good majority look like they don't want to be in ireland working, and I am not the only one who thinks this too.
    Blowin things out of proportion altogether, that's all that people on boards.ie seem to do....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you have an issue with staff, take it up with the staff management, not much point giving out here and not doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Blowin things out of proportion altogether, that's all that people on boards.ie seem to do....

Going by your OP - yes, yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

It's not only in Carlow town. I have noticed here in Clonmel, only difference is it's the Local people who are not verry helpfull or friendly. I find that when I give money over to them and hold out my hand for change, they put it on the counter and stare at you as if " go on, say some thing," look in their face. I just vote with my feet. Then if more people did it, they would not be there as the would have been let go. I find Dunns and Tesco the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

I agree with you OP. I find some of the younger girls in penneys in carlow have absolutely no customer service, the just talk between themselves as they are serving you and only stop to tell you how much you owe. There is one girl in Tesco on the checkouts that myself and OH nicknamed Employee of the Month she has no manners what so ever and just grunts at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    I agree with you OP. I find some of the younger girls in penneys in carlow have absolutely no customer service, the just talk between themselves as they are serving you and only stop to tell you how much you owe. There is one girl in Tesco on the checkouts that myself and OH nicknamed Employee of the Month she has no manners what so ever and just grunts at you.

do you want to buy something or do you go to pennys to chat to young ones

do you want to buy something or do you go to pennys to chat to young ones

I want the shop assistant who is serving me to at the very least face me when serving me instead of talking s***te to their colleague on the till behind them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't shop in Tesco because of how they treat suppliers. I find the staff in Supervalu, Superquinn and Raths to be helpful and polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Is it just me or does anyone think some staff around some certain Carlow Town shops and restaurants are very rude and ungrateful? I moved her a year ago and I now have to avoid Supervalu, and Centra at Staplestown Road, because i found some of the staff there were very rude and miserable. I mean one of the staff in Supervalu practically barked at me, because she asked if I wanted to cashback, and I just asked what was cashback because it was my first time using a VISA card and she responded very rudely..

Honestly, I find all the staff in super valu remarkably pleasant and its the main reason I shop there I think they are a credit to the owner.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, i remember I came up to the till one day while some staff were talking and I felt a bit uneasy waiting because I kept thinking "Is this till closed or something?" Felt like a bit of an idiot just waiting there.

Doesn't happen all the time, but that day I felt a bit unsure and awkward. :/

Honestly, I find all the staff in super valu remarkably pleasant and its the main reason I shop there I think they are a credit to the owner.

I actually agree with you, the rest of the staff are pleasant and some even chat to you while the scan your stuff. it was that particular staff member just makes me feel uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I am in Carlow regularly and use various shops and supermarkets and can't say I found shop staff any different to anywhere else. Actually, I find they are more helpful and obliging than most places I shop in Dublin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Young ones in general go around like the world owes them something. Awful things they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

To be honest OP it sounds as if you're the common factor.

Speaking as someone who works in a shop (not in Carlow), there are certain customers that put a smile on your face as soon as they walk in, other customers that you put a smile on for as a matter of good service whether you feel like it or not, other customers that you force a smile for, and those other customers that you just can't possibly muster anything other than performing the transaction for.

Maybe Carlow shop workers are all ungrateful, or maybe you're a troublesome customer.

To be honest OP it sounds as if you're the common factor.

Speaking as someone who works in a shop (not in Carlow), there are certain customers that put a smile on your face as soon as they walk in, other customers that you put a smile on for as a matter of good service whether you feel like it or not, other customers that you force a smile for, and those other customers that you just can't possibly muster anything other than performing the transaction for.

Maybe Carlow shop workers are all ungrateful, or maybe you're a troublesome customer.

If I was a troublesome customer, then every shop worker I see would hate me.
    I just go up, say hi and place my items down, when every is done, I either say "Thank you" or "Thank you, bye!" and give a quick smile If I can. Nothing rude, or nothing to over-the-top nice, just your normal interaction with shop workers.
    I mean not everyone shop keeper has to put on an act of kindness, but like I said, ur one from Supervalu was out of order to bark at me for a simple question, that I asked politely, I did not do it with any ignorance, or for the woman in Centra to give me a dirty look.

I want the shop assistant who is serving me to at the very least face me when serving me instead of talking s***te to their colleague on the till behind them

why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

have to agree with op here, the one in centra has a face on her like a cow eating a nettle (ie fowl).
    rudest staff member ive encountered, not all the staff r like her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I find there's a mixture good and bad. I was in Next the other day, the minute I went in the door there was an assistant smiling and saying hello. Superquinn, oh God, they fly out past you like you're invisible. The staff on the tills are pleasant,though. Having worked in retail previously I do know that there's no pleasing some people, whereas others are delighted with just a simple hello.

• Advertisement

why

Manners for a start.
    I dont expect a big conversation but an hello and a thank you would be nice.
    I was double charged in Tesco a few years ago because the assistant was arguing with her supervisor about taking fag breaks while serving me. the manager shouldn't have entertained that on the shop floor. I only realised I was double charged when I got home as I had a big shop.

What do you expect from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I go to Tesco for cheap prices and selection of products. I couldnt care less if I get a smile or a hello. In fact I despise the obligatory hello on entering a shop that so many American outlets enforce (see Next comment above).

There are certain purchases I would expect a certain level of customer service, e.g. sports gear, motoring etc. and my choice of store would be impacted by the staff. But something like groceries and convenience stores I really dont care. And thats the problem, because i dont care, i dont complain and the staff member is never informed of their lack of customer service.

You want to change the world then start by complaining, no point coming on here ranting and raving about it. I also dont appreciate the "carlow" reference here. You have more or less painted all shops in carlow with the one brush which is grossly unfair to some of the more diligent stores. This is not a Carlow specific problem, I spend a lot of time in Kildare and Dublin and I have observed the same in these locations.

It's the carlow forum so thats why there is a carlow reference. I agree it is a country wide problem. I also agree that there are some great staff in carlow also. From being there on Saturday I met lovely staff on Argos, next and new look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

In fact I despise the obligatory hello on entering a shop that so many American outlets enforce (see Next comment above).

And then people wonder why staff in shops are so rude.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ok, wheremejumpa, I understand that the 'have a nice day' can be a bit wearing and false, but better than being ignored. I knew what the girl in Next was doing, as I used to be the 'meet and greet'. There's only so many times you can talk about the weather! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

OP, you don't honestly think Carlow is bad for staff members acting like this, when compared to anywhere else, do you?
    I've lived in Carlow for most of my live. I can say, without a doubt, staff in most shops in Carlow are very good. Stuff like this will happen , no matter what in a large town, or city. You can insure you're hiring the perfect person all the time.
    In regards to SuperValue, only once have I noticed what could be considered as a bad staff member. Since then, the same staff member has served me a couple of times, and he has been great.
    Why are people bashing Carlow lately. It's actually a pretty good place. Like EVERYWHERE else, it has it's cons. However, staff in shops, definitely isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I've noticed this too but I genuinely feel it's down to the person. In Tesco for example there was one a guy who was so rude to me every time I went to his checkout I started to think I had done something to him! At the same time though there's plenty of lovely helpful people there too.

I think at the end of the day there's always going to be some bad eggs but the majority are still grand.

Manners for a start.
    I dont expect a big conversation but an hello and a thank you would be nice.
    I was double charged in Tesco a few years ago because the assistant was arguing with her supervisor about taking fag breaks while serving me. the manager shouldn't have entertained that on the shop floor. I only realised I was double charged when I got home as I had a big shop.

What do you expect from them?

If i want to buy something in a shop, i'd like to be able to walk in, choose what i want, pay for it and walk out. I don't need or want anything else and i don't understand why other people would unless they were looking for some sort of advice regarding a product in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

To be honest, having recently moved from Dublin to Carlow I find that the staff in most shops i.e Tesco, Londis in Pollerton, Easons etc to be pleasant enough. But I find that the locals are rather rude, like any time I stop someone to ask directions or make a general enquiry, I actually feel like I am being spoken to like I'm an absolute idiot who has really managed to irritate them with a simple question. Happens in every county, but it's literally EVERY person I've stopped in Carlow that has been like that. Meh. Maybe they just don't like out-of-towners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

supervalu staff are for the best part, the best trained customer service wise in the country. in carlow, tullow and bunclody I find the staff 99% of the time are useful, friendly and polite but I do agree that some staff are a bit off-ish. I'm new to Carlow too and I notice it. Now, I know that other places it's the exact same so I'm not going to pin point Carlow!! But unless the person is being unacceptably horrible, you have to remember that sometimes people just aren't in a good mood!! I mean, I worked in bars and some days I just could not be ar*ed!! I might have had a terrible day before, or some one could have come in just before you and been a d*ck so if the staff are not being seriously horrible and just come off as a little rude, I always just try to be polite and say thanks and usually people just appreciate that and it lightens their mood, I know it did when I worked in the bar!! Give and take, give people a break unless they are horrible then complain!!!!

Advertisement