Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude staff in Carlow town shops?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's bound to be at least one rude person working in a large establishment like a supermarket. As long as they don't shout personal abuse at me I wouldn't let it put me off shopping somewhere.

What's more likely to put me off is when staff are overly 'helpful' and run up to me saying "do you need any help?" the minute I walk in the door. I actually stopped going into Next because of this. I would be looking at a pair of trousers and a staff member would hassle me to try them on. I'd then try them on in the dressing room just to shut them up and they would wait outside the dressing room shouting at me "HOW DO THEY FIT?". It's not the staff members fault as they're instructed to do this by management, but I just can't be bothered with that in a shop.

Compustore (which is now called Click) used to be terrible for this too. It didn't matter how much you told them that you were alright and didn't need any help, they would just stand around staring at you. The minute you showed the slightest interest in something like an external hard drive they would grab the box out of your hand and start reading out the specifications.

Guve me apathy and disinterest over that any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I just remembered the rudest staff member I ever encountered in Carlow. A few years ago I went up to the counter in The Jean Scene (which has now closed down) to pay for a pair of shoes and when the girl opened the cash register she knocked a plastic container of coffee all over me. It went all over my jeans and shoes. This was obviously an accident, but there was absolutely no apology or an offer of a cloth to wipe the coffee off of my clothes. She just shook her head and sighed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

just stand around staring at you. QUOTE]

Similar to the point i was making. There is a difference between good customer service and repeating steps 1 - 3 on your sales assistant checklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

i do think that some people just shouldn't be hired in these places though, which really annoys me when I find it hard to find a job!! Some people just don't have very high customer service skills and don't know how to just be nice or how the little things help but they get hired, doesn't mean they're bad people, just maybe they're not suited to that type of work. It's like some people who are nurses, yeah they might be great in understanding medicine and get straight A's, doesn't mean they're going to have the right level of customer service/being sound!! Before I get abuse, I am not saying all nurses are horrible I'm simply using an example it could apply to millions of jobs.
    But things will never change if no one makes a complaint!! I had to sort some stuff out in AXA one day and the lad working was all over the shop, but nice and friendly and helpful but in the long run he totally messed up my insurance to the point where money was being taken from my account that should not have been so I complained about him, I could tell he was a nice guy but really not able for the work!! So Axa just re-trained as far as I know, he still has his job, and I'm happy for that but now his service maybe better. You need to bring things to the attention of management if you want change.

Advertisement