Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Active monitors to a PC

• 05-04-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey Guys, i need some help fast :confused:

Two monitors recently came in to my possession with no cables, here's the link to them:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/esi_near_08_classic.htm

Now i have a standard Dell Precision workstation with on aboard sound.

So to connect them to the PC i bought this cable

When I turn them on;
    1. The left speaker has a loud hum, more than a normal hum
    2. Both speakers have a little background noise with signals and some distortion
    3. the right speaker is much quieter than the left
    4. general sound is not impressive at all and quite flat
    I have messed with the settings at the back tweaked the volume on the PC and on the monitors to no avail.

Could it be the cable? or the speakers? how can i test? Do i need to buy a DAC or something else, possibly a better sound card.

To note - its not my onboard sound as i Have a pair of Bose companions that worked perfectly with no noise!

someone please help - i need my tuneage!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That cable is a stereo 3.5 mm to XLR. It should work but in some cases,the XLR pin 1 (ground) and pin 3 (cold or -) need to be shorted. It is possible that your cable is not shorted on those pins. You can check this with a multimeter.
    This is why idealy you should be using a 3.5mm stereo to 6mm jack.

To test the cable, get a multimeter and check for continuity between the sleeve on the 3.5 plug and pin 1 on each XLR. then test pin 2 on each XLR to tip and ring on the 3.5 plug. (i.e tip to pin 2 on one XLR and then ring to pin 2 on the other XLR)

To test each speaker without using the XLR sockets, get a single 3.5 mm to 6mm cable (mono or stereo, it doesn't matter) and plug it into each speaker one at a time. If both work the same then the speakers are probably OK. This will tell you that the speakers are OK and the problem lies in the XLR cable.

Advertisement